Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Our favourite word in a (french) video

I'm just going to leave this here..

Handy pronunciation guide to liseuse!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I'm just going to leave this here..

Handy pronunciation guide to liseuse!
Finally, I can stop saying 'lezzers' all the time.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Liseuseuseuseuuseuseuse!
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #4
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
thanks for the video, AprilHare ! in case anyone is wondering, that is a report from the channel 3 news about a very interesting initiative in the municipal library of Issy-les-Moulineaux (suburb of Paris), which is offering 16 liseuses available to borrow for 24 days, along with their catalogue of paper books. the idea is to heighten awareness of ebooks and liseuses (still relatively unknown in France), and hopefully promote reading to young people as well (who are among the public likely to be interested in borrowing a liseuse, along with people who read a lot already, people interested in new technology, and people who would like to test a liseuse before buying their own).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 AM   #5
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think that is a brilliant idea but frankly do not understand why it was not obvious and done a lot more frequently everywhere. Almost no one in the U.S., to my knowledge, offers ebook reade....erm, liseuses for loan or rental to give them a try. You either have to know someone who let you try one or else just take the plunge and buy one. Why??
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:10 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks for the video, AprilHare ! in case anyone is wondering, that is a report from the channel 3 news about a very interesting initiative in the municipal library of Issy-les-Moulineaux (suburb of Paris), which is offering 16 liseuses available to borrow for 24 days, along with their catalogue of paper books.
I remember there being a discussion thread about this years ago. Is this an old video?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I remember there being a discussion thread about this years ago. Is this an old video?
it's from january 2010. there was an inauguration celebration for this new service at that time. we had a discussion about it in the french forum. you must be thinking of something else, this is relatively recent.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:14 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It was about two or three years ago, as I recall; a French library had launched an initiative to lend out e-book readers - they were CyBook Gen3's, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find the thread.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 05:16 AM   #9
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for the video, AprilHare ! in case anyone is wondering, that is a report from the channel 3 news about a very interesting initiative in the municipal library of Issy-les-Moulineaux (suburb of Paris), which is offering 16 liseuses available to borrow for 24 days, along with their catalogue of paper books. the idea is to heighten awareness of ebooks and liseuses (still relatively unknown in France), and hopefully promote reading to young people as well (who are among the public likely to be interested in borrowing a liseuse, along with people who read a lot already, people interested in new technology, and people who would like to test a liseuse before buying their own).
Quote:
it's from january 2010. there was an inauguration celebration for this new service at that time. we had a discussion about it in the french forum. you must be thinking of something else, this is relatively recent.
You are quite welcome, Zelda
Fascinating! I wish Australian libraries would do something like this lending out of liseuses, but I guess they reckon ex-convicts need audio books more..
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think that is a brilliant idea but frankly do not understand why it was not obvious and done a lot more frequently everywhere. Almost no one in the U.S., to my knowledge, offers ebook reade....erm, liseuses for loan or rental to give them a try. You either have to know someone who let you try one or else just take the plunge and buy one. Why??
Cost of investment?
Ignorance of the technology?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It was about two or three years ago, as I recall; a French library had launched an initiative to lend out e-book readers - they were CyBook Gen3's, if I recall correctly. I'll see if I can find the thread.
The more libraries, the better..
Old 07-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #10
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Ok now that I know how to pronounce it I am willing to begin using the word but now I am unclear as to the exact usage.

Old Geezer, "What's that?"

Me "It is my liseuse. It is a Kindle2 that I read books on."

Is that right?

(Zelda is it time to change the "Device:" in the profile to "Liseuse:"?)

Last edited by NormHart; 07-12-2010 at 12:53 PM.
NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:48 AM   #11
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Cost of investment?
Ignorance of the technology?
probably a bit of both, i imagine. note that it's not that widespread here either, although there are at least 2 libraries that i know of with a program like this (the other one being in Boulogne, another suburb of Paris). i seem to remember a similar program being put into place in a university library as well. there may well be more that i don't know about.

Quote:
The more libraries, the better..
absolutely !

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormHart View Post
Ok now that I know how to pronounce it I am willing to begin using the word but now I am unclear as to the exact usage.

Old Geezer, "What's that?"

Me "It is my liseuse. It is a Kindle2 that I read books on."

Is that right?
yep, perfect.

Quote:
(Zelda is it time to change the "Device:" in the profile to "Liseuse:"?)
Old 07-17-2010, 09:21 AM   #12
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Issy-les-Moulineaux (suburb of Paris) is where France Telecom has (had?) its research facilities. This might have had some impact on it. It is a rather "uppy" suburb.
You French people are really incredible with technology, art, culture in general and their cooperation (technically this is called contamination, but in this contest it has a totally positive sense) and on how to promote it. A part from other nick names, not always complimentary, Paris is known as La Ville Lumiere. (Ville = town, Lumiere = light). Very actual. Compliments. Bravo
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #13
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
Boulogne Billancourt is the other place (I just checked the discussion). That is a very rich place!

OK guys, let's just make more moneys.
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 12:47 AM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard

Books should be for everyone.
Ebooks should be for everyone.
Liseuses should be for everyone.
Old 07-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Boulogne Billancourt is the other place (I just checked the discussion). That is a very rich place!

OK guys, let's just make more moneys.
bien vu beppe ! smart idea !

Quote:
Books should be for everyone.
Ebooks should be for everyone.
Liseuses should be for everyone.
couldn't agree more.