Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #1
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Bram Stoker’s Dracula Coming to the Apple iPad for Halloween 2010

I've read Stoker’s Dracula twice, about 20 years apart.

It's interesting to read a book written in 1897. Writing styles have certainly changed a bit. But the original story is still good.

Now we have this;
Bram Stoker’s Dracula Coming to the Apple iPad

At first the article reminded me of Infocom, a company that produced text based games in the early days of computers. It too, seems to be an interactive story, but I would think that it is no more related to Stoker’s book than the Twilight series. Times change, and I probably haven't changed enough to enjoy this one.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
I'll give it a try. I'm interested to see just what some clever people can do, making books into true multimedia.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

It's interesting to read a book written in 1897. Writing styles have certainly changed a bit. But the original story is still good.

Now we have this;

At first the article reminded me of Infocom, a company that produced text based games in the early days of computers. It too, seems to be an interactive story, but I would think that it is no more related to Stoker’s book than the Twilight series. Times change, and I probably haven't changed enough to enjoy this one.
Ugh. Multimedia books. Stake 'em, behead 'em and drape 'em with garlic. Then bury them upside down.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
God that sounds awful.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 AM   #5
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
Will include touch-screen games, such as "blowing the leaves off of tombstones to reveal the writing beneath", as well as rotten Neo-Goth music to "set the tone for a different chapter from the book".

It's finally happened.

I'm becoming distrustful and dismissive of how the next-generation want to deploy new technologies.

I seriously hope this isn't a success.

I can imagine some government-funded education QUANGO suggesting this as a way of getting boys reading. *Imagines film of classroom with fifteen boys jabbing screens to 'blow the leaves off of tombstones'. Education minister's voice over intones optimistically 'look how enthusiastic they are about reading!' Fast forward eight years to these young adults taking their GNVQs in 'advanced touch-screen competence' - 'It's worth three GCSEs at grade C'

Last edited by Richey79; 09-16-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
oh ffs....this is just as bad as pride and prejudice and zombies.

Sigh
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post

Now we have this;

Yeah, I was also thinking of the old Sierra On-Line and their early take on the role-playing/interactive games and stories. And those begged for a slate/tablet device.

Funny but this is going to be Job's take on "reading" and where I expected him to tell everyone they need to go over plain old reading because reading is just too dull and boring...fits the whole fascist-illiteratti society we are building.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:08 PM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
On the upside, it probably can't be worse than EA's version of Dante's Inferno.

Probably.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Do you mean this >

SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote