Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
New jetBook available

Did anyone else notice that the new jetBook is available from Ectaco now? Not just an announcement -- it appears that you can order it direct from their site. Apparently the weight is 9 oz. instead of 7.5 oz, but they claim longer battery life on the AA's. I'd use NiMH rechargeables, of course.

Pity they nixed the audio, otherwise I would almost allllllmost consider buying one. I enjoy having audiobooks on my jetBook. Well, I suppose there's no real compelling reason to "upgrade," other than interest in the ergonomics (battery pack seems like it would make a nice handhold ala EB-1150).
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for the heads up!

My birthday is in a week, and I got my birthday check today, so after I pay some bills if there is anything left it will go toward a jetBook Lite!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2009, 11:44 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that I have gone to the website, I see that it comes without a cover or pouch.

Is there a pouch that it will fit in that I can find maybe at Amazon?
Old 10-30-2009, 12:25 AM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

OK, I see it now.

Here's the jetBook Lite.
http://www.ectaco.com/ectaco-jetbook-lite/

And here is the pouch for $19.95.
http://www.ectaco.com/products/acces...-jetbook-lite/

PS - I have emailed support to determine if their pouch fits the Lite. It may not have room for the bump there for the batteries.

Last edited by GA Russell; 10-30-2009 at 12:30 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm pretty sure the original black jetBook pouch would fit the Lite just fine. It has a hard (cardboard, probably) front to protect the screen, but the back is flexible. If you're going to spend $20 on a pouch, though, why not buy something better?
Advert
Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM   #6
GoneNova
Enthusiast
GoneNova is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 4,Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura One, Libra2
It's nice that the new device supports DRM from Barnes & Noble. I wonder if we'll be able
to get it in a firmware update for our older jetBooks.
GoneNova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:45 PM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

I got a prompt reply from Ectaco while I was sleeping telling me that the silicone sleeve fits both the jetBook and the jetBook Lite.

Is the silicone sleeve good enough?

If not, what is available for $20 that is better and would hold the device?
Old 10-30-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru

I heard the silicone sleeve is nice from another user around here somewhere... the pro is that it protects your jetBook (enough) yet you don't have to hassle with a case.
Old 10-30-2009, 11:56 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Kralik, does the sleeve cover the screen? Do you remove the device from the sleeve when you read?
Old 10-31-2009, 06:13 AM   #10
Xerxes
Addict
Xerxes has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Astak EZReader, Pocket Pro
$150 and a dictionary? Noice!
Xerxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:35 AM   #11
Kralik
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Kralik, does the sleeve cover the screen? Do you remove the device from the sleeve when you read?
The black sleeve/case that comes with the original jetBook covers the screen.

The silicon cover stays on and protects the jetBook. I don't know whether it has a layer over the screen or not, but I know at least that you don't have to take it on and off. I have something similar for my Eee PC -- it's a protective silicon "skin."
Old 10-31-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

OK. Well, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that protects the glass screen.

Thanks, Kralik!
Old 10-31-2009, 11:26 PM   #13
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
OK. Well, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for something that protects the glass screen.

Thanks, Kralik!
I think you need jetBook pouch:
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Kris, I think you're right, but I don't see it at the Ectaco site. Know where I could order one?
Old 11-02-2009, 01:17 PM   #15
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Quote:
Kris, I think you're right, but I don't see it at the Ectaco site. Know where I could order one?
I received word from Ectaco this morning that that pouch is not available. She recommended that I buy the travel wallet which goes for $49.95.

That's out of my budget, but I may bid a lower price on their website just to see if they accept my offer.