Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #16
nomesque
Snooty Bestselling Author
nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nomesque ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650
I'm still greatly enjoying this... even though I'm starting to feel uneducated because I haven't read the original...
nomesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 10:48 PM   #17
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
[Just between you and me, Nomesque, I never did finish it... well, the thing's the size of a brick, and people kept telling me the end. Hey, never said I was educated.]

The Ball.

Me
Me
Me
Me me
Me!

Me
Me
Me
Me
Memememe
Me!

“Look
Over here
Ignore my peers
Look,
Don’t fear
To me,
Do steer
I’ve shoes and booze
And tales of blues
Stories and songs
And models in thongs!”

“No
Ignore him
He’s just
Living in sin
Now don’t think me odd
But I think
You
Could do
With hearing about
My conversion to God.”

“Hey hey
Look at me
I’m pretty as a girlie-boy can be
This is my husband
And these are my boys
And here are some thoughts
On naughty night-time toys.”

I
Have regrets
A lifetime’s worth
And if you lend me your ear
I’ll list them
In order
From birth.”

Suits and ties
And polished shoes
Dresses, dentists
Corporate ooze
Floozies and students
And heads of breeze
Egomaniacs taking
A moment of ease

Me me me
Look at me
Me me me
Look at me
Me!

The floors are polished
The band is admonished
At each pause for breath
So they’ll never stop playing
The waiters stay quiet
But every dancer is saying
“Me Look at me,
Me Look Me,
ME, LOOK AT ME!”

Welcome to the Bloggers’ Ball
Where voices fight
To seduce and thrall
Be careful or
Your feet may slip
Upon a tongue
To eager lips

Words on trays
Confession canapés
An open display
Of gossip lace
Thoughts in search
Of a small fan-base

Me!

Me!
Me!

Me!

Me!

Me!

Me.
Now keep in sight,
And be polite
But don’t stand still
There ain’t a thrill
To be had in this Hall
So let’s make this quick
We want the blog
Named for your pretty-bit.

Me!

Me!
Me!

Me!

Me!

Me!

You.

Last edited by Reyben; 10-07-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 04:09 PM   #18
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just found this thread, Reyben, and I say and bravo.

I even used Ea's post for background music. I must say that I also liked the music background as I read.

More! More!

dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I only ever dipped my toes lightly with regards to the original - so far - but I recently got a good, modern translation of it as a present, which I'm definitely going to read. In my experience of very old classics, language means a *lot* - often it is worth-while to look for a *good* modern translation if available. So many of us have been subjected to late 19th/early 20th century translations of classics like this or the Iliad or the Oddessay or ... And somehow that language style have become mixed up with what we expect from "old stuff", which is a great shame. I'm pretty sure Dante didn't sound "old-fashioned" to his audience when he wrote the Divine Comedy.

I'm glad some of you liked the music I proposed. It just accidently meshed so well when I read the original posts myself that I was very surprised. Originally, I had the music off a CD meant for belly dance inspiration.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
Reyben
Connoisseur
Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reyben ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Erm... None.
[As a rule, I don't think many of the Greats sounded Old Fashioned at the time- at least, not the ones hoping for a popular crowd. It would've put a crimp in their accessibility. Like trying to write fiction on the internet in verse. Er....

An interesting note on music, each poem-section-bit is actually written to a different specific song, since I find the background rhythm useful. So it almost has a soundtrack, in my head.
]

First Note

Date: December 3rd
Time: 04:09
Thoughts: Kill the bitch.

>>> Comments: 0

Date: September 4th
Time: 10:40
Thoughts:
I’ve never had a blog before. I’m not quite sure what to do with one.

One of the other jurors suggested I get it, as a way of relieving tension. Oh, silly me. You don’t know about the jurors. You don’t know about anything- how could you? I’ve only just started talking. Nice to meet you, by the way. Call me LW.

The jurors, as in, the Jury. My husband said I should dodge Jury Duty, but he’s the one who dodges things, not me. It’s my civic duty and it gets me the afternoon off work. Besides, sitting around and judging people... not exactly a tough gig.

Anyway, I’m not allowed to say much about the case, although I can get away with mentioning that it’s big and a bit high profile. It definitely made the evening news. And since I’m not allowed to talk about it to anyone- friends or family- I feel like a lot of stuff is getting bottled up. The case has some pretty disturbing undertones, some pretty creepy people involved. It’s killing me, not being able to even mention it in passing conversation.

One of the other jurors suggested I start this blog. The reason they gave was this: the pressure from keeping hushed about the case is going to build up inside me, and start squeezing at all my other valves. Suddenly, I’m going to feel the need to express myself, to vent. This other juror’s a three-time gal (...or guy), so it’s probably good advice. And where better to vent than over the anonymity of the interweb?

This gives me and the hubby a chance to get to grips with the new PC... although he doesn’t seem too interested. More into his work. Just like him, really. This is one of those things the guidance counselor says we should talk about, but we never do.

Oh! See that, that’s me venting. It’s working already.

I don’t really know what to say about myself- I’m sure you’re not too interested in hearing the day to day output of my life. Although if you really want details, feel free to imagine that I’m a gorgeous ubermodel who runs around all day in her underwear. I’ll try to keep this blog for when I have something specific to say, something interesting to let go of. My friend mentioned expressing through art, too. I’ve been thinking about trying that. Painting’s always been a very private hobby, I’ve always been shy- but I figure, what’s the harm here? If I draw an ugly tree, who’s going to know it’s me?

This’ll be my diary. I never had one when I was a kid. And let me know what you guys think of it- comments and criticism welcome! But I’m new here, so be kind!

I hope to have a long internet life ahead of me!

>>>4 Comments.

>>>
This Blog’s
All scattered
The entries
Battered
Pulled from place
Ripped without trace
Someone’s paw
Trod here before.

>>>>
...If these words are hers
I need them all
I need to know
Her thoughts for a fact

>>>>
Who would have done this?
Who would have care?
This ain’t mere groundskeeping
This is conspiracy fair
I only know one
Who might answer our questions
Oh Somebody, I hate
to ask her for directions.

>>>>>
It’s time we talked
To the Cat.

Last edited by Reyben; 10-08-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Reyben is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert