Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 AM   #1
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Is it time we begin referring it as e-paper rather than turning eink into the generic

I am thinking given the number of new display techs on the horizon, it might be time to begin using the correct terms when discussing readers in general to use epaper rather than eink which is a specific variety/brand of epaper technology.

If not, then cool but I suspect it will be less confusing for new people as they begin investigating readers.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A lost cause, I'm afraid, like trying to persuade people not to use the name "eReader" as a generic name for an eBook Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #3
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
could well, be true...never know though...we could be trend setters as well as early adopters.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #4
cheese bogart
Connoisseur
cheese bogart has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505 (Silver), Ipad
Personally, I like the term ereader. I'm not that fussed that it is a brand name. It's the same with a lot of devices; vacuum cleaner/hoover, circular saw/Skilsaw, MP3/well theres a lot of formats for this one. At the end of the it doesn't really matter what you call it as long as others understand what you are talking about.
cheese bogart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #5
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
until there is another Epaper Manufacturer, the name Eink is gonna stick.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 10:09 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Until Xerox machines are commonly referred to as "plain paper copiers" I fear we will be stuck with E-Ink.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Until Xerox machines are commonly referred to as "plain paper copiers" I fear we will be stuck with E-Ink.
They are called "photocopiers" in the UK .
Old 05-28-2009, 10:13 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm going t switch to epaper. The double vowel of e-ink has always bugged me. Besides, "e-ink" is the stuff _inside_ the epaper.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
GntlmnBndt
Zealot
GntlmnBndt doesn't litterGntlmnBndt doesn't litter

Device: iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Wow... I can remember when Xerox was used as a generic for 'copier,' and even using 'Xeroxing' as a verb rather than 'copying,' but I have to say it has been years since I did either. I can't remember the last time I even thought of a copier as a 'Xerox.' Certainly not since the mid 90s or so.

Ahh, the memories.

The Bandit
GntlmnBndt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:44 AM   #10
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A lost cause, I'm afraid, like trying to persuade people not to use the name "eReader" as a generic name for an eBook Reader.
Or like asking people (here in America, anyway) to say "tissue" rather than kleenex. You ask people for tissue over here, and you will generally get the toilet variety.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
They are called "photocopiers" in the UK .
True - but you folks still do "hoover" the rugs don't you?
Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM   #12
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GntlmnBndt View Post
Wow... I can remember when Xerox was used as a generic for 'copier,' and even using 'Xeroxing' as a verb rather than 'copying,' but I have to say it has been years since I did either. I can't remember the last time I even thought of a copier as a 'Xerox.' Certainly not since the mid 90s or so.

Ahh, the memories.

The Bandit
Sigh - you make me feel my age with this comment.
(and yes, I still ask people to make a Xerox copy for me - on our Sharp copier)
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
True - but you folks still do "hoover" the rugs don't you?
Seems to be a word that's going out of use these days. When I was a kid, "hoover" was indeed used by almost everyone as a generic word for "vacuum cleaner", but I've not heard it for ages.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:14 AM   #14
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
It's not the same. It would be similar if the Xerox company were named "Photocopier, Inc." instead. One thing is calling a product after the dominant/pioneer company, another thing is naming a company with a perfectly good and obvious name for a product (and ereader is an obvious name for an ebook reader, for instance).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #15
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Seems to be a word that's going out of use these days. When I was a kid, "hoover" was indeed used by almost everyone as a generic word for "vacuum cleaner", but I've not heard it for ages.
Well, I guess I'll have to put on my pink fuzzy slippers and admit to global "out-of-datedness" - and let you young whipper-snappers get on with your new-fangled technology!