Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 08:58 AM   #1
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Announced: the iRex Reader DR1000

iRex has announced they new generation of reading devices. They are title the iRex Reader DR1000 Series.

There will be three models:
  1. DR1000 Base
    • Base Model Reader
  2. DR1000 S
    • Includes Wacom Touch Screen Tablet for taking notes
  3. DR1000 SW
    • Includes Wacom Tablet
    • Includes Wifi and Bluetooth functionality

All readers will include 1GB of storage memory via a replaceable SD card. They will also have usb functionality to connect with a computer. A user should be able to "print" any document to the DR1000 from within Windows in order to view it.

Details are still coming in, and an interview with iRex is planned.

What do you guys think? What questions do you have for iRex?

Related: New Irex Reader 1000 thread
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	irex1000_2.png
Views:	1277
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	16429   Click image for larger version

Name:	irex1000_1.png
Views:	1092
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	16430   Click image for larger version

Name:	books.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	627.1 KB
ID:	16437   Click image for larger version

Name:	navigatie_stylus.jpg
Views:	1360
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	16438   Click image for larger version

Name:	dr_menu.jpg
Views:	1297
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	16439   Click image for larger version

Name:	rechtsvoor3.jpg
Views:	1138
Size:	667.2 KB
ID:	16440   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_doc.jpg
Views:	1171
Size:	417.1 KB
ID:	16441   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_menu.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	16442   Click image for larger version

Name:	front_news.jpg
Views:	1239
Size:	444.6 KB
ID:	16443  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press Release iRex Digital Reader 1000.pdf (100.9 KB, 2311 views)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-22-2008 at 11:02 AM. Reason: added more images
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:01 AM   #2
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
http://www.irextechnologies.com/irexdr1000 got online.

my top question: will there be a new firmware for the old iLiads?

Last edited by yokos; 09-22-2008 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Q
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
bob_ninja
Addict
bob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enoughbob_ninja will become famous soon enough

Device: Zire71
"unique 10.2 inch screen size"
Sync usnig WiFi (no cables except for recharge)

Oh my, I am in heaven
No more PDF conversion and legibility issues,....
Now the price ????
bob_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Q: Will be a "Development Package" for new Reader Series offered? [EDIT:] YES!
Q: "Printing to iLiad" is a windows thing, right?

Last edited by yokos; 09-22-2008 at 09:11 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #5
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Prices are:
499,- Euro for the 1000
599,- Euro for the 1000S
??? for the 1000SW

And iRex said that a developer package will be available for the DR series aswell.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #6
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
My questions: Does it support any type of suspend? Is Adobe DRM on the horizon?
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
What was done to make the screen more robust than on the v2?

How has the interface changed to allow for the lack of a touch screen on the 1000? A screenshot of Mobipocket Reader would be nice, looking up words in the dictionary, changing font size, and accessing the TOC all previously required the stylus.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Here is a question to ask. Is the touchscreen option merely for taking notes, or does it provide a touch interface for the readers. In other words, can I do menu navigation via touch on the touchscreen models, or is it merely a note taking add-on?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:11 AM   #9
alaya129
alaya129 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500/Axim X50V
We got sleep function ?
alaya129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #10
jljones
Enthusiast
jljones is on a distinguished road

Device: Iliad
"All readers will include 1GB of storage memory"
That's less than than the current machines with th CF slot, which seems to have been dropped.
1GB is a lot of storage for reading material, but small compared to current SDHC cards. I wonder why the new machine won't support larger cards.
jljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #11
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Second Question. Is the SD interface SD only or does it permit SDHC cards?
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by jljones View Post
"All readers will include 1GB of storage memory"
That's less than than the current machines with th CF slot, which seems to have been dropped.
1GB is a lot of storage for reading material, but small compared to current SDHC cards. I wonder why the new machine won't support larger cards.
I think that means it will come with a 1GB SD card. I'm not sure about SDHC support, but I assume it should work with larger cards using the SD standard.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Aside from Office and PDF, any dedicated e-book format ? ePub, Mobipocket ?

It looks very business-oriented, just like Plastic Logic's device.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #14
godidog
Iliadist
godidog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad (broken screen fixed after 3 months), Treo
When the screen breaks (as it surely will), will it cost EUR350 and take 10 weeks for Irex to fix it ?

Will Irex fulfil their promises to support the development community, or leave them in the lurch again ?

Will the lamentably bad standard software on the existing devices be upgraded ?

Have Irex worked suspend mode out yet ?
godidog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 09:15 AM   #15
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I think that means it will come with a 1GB SD card. I'm not sure about SDHC support, but I assume it should work with larger cards using the SD standard.
My information is, that SDHC cards are supported.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote