Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Xtech, I fully agree that this would be a great device, and I would buy one immediately if it wasn't too expensive.
I have the Yotaphone 2 which is basically a 5-inch version of this concept. Best phone I ever had, can't wait for v.3. The two main advantages are sunlight visibility and energy efficiency. It has Gorilla glass on both sides so it's not fragile, but mobius is even tougher.
Don't worry, someone will make it eventually as it makes a lot of sense.
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 01:22 PM   #17
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Sony DPT-RP1, Ipad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Don't worry, someone will make it eventually
If I had any direct contact with the factory and reliable programming company and knew some other related tech guys, I would eventually perhaps lauch some campaign myself. However I think that the concept is quite new and doubtful for many. I do not remember coming to this idea from yotaphone device, which i do not have, too small an ereader it has. I rather thought of combining tablet and ereader for easier portability.
It seems that the Sony would be the best company to launch since its 13.3 ereader is the lightest out of onyx, pocketbook, netronix, etc. And if it adds the other screen and better processor, memory, the weight maybe around 500.
Now, it can be not only a t-ereader, but also as a tereader transformer and also as a notebook. In the latter case one just has to turn around the monitor and he gets an e-reader.
And this can be of use for programmers who write a lot of programming code and their eyesight is deteriorating. I mean, some part of huge programming world could find it useful. The battery drain will not be a problem taking into account all the benefits.
Noe there can be two batteries. One solely for e ink screen.

Last edited by xtech; 05-13-2016 at 01:32 PM.
xtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2016, 04:35 PM   #18
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's your friends' ignorance of how to do it correctly, not an inherent shortcoming of the Kindle. When I look at my Kindle I see all my books listed in series order by author.
My books were a scattered mess yesterday. Amazing thing happened when I tapped the menu and tapped author. Immediately all the authors were in order.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:27 PM   #19
xtech
Zealot
xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have just come accross a discussion at another forum: someone needs e-ink laptop for programming.https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=11691479
Very strange coincidence.

Last edited by xtech; 05-13-2016 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-13-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Little.Egret
Wizard
Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Little.Egret ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G, Kindle Fire 2, NOOK ST, Kindle HDX, Fire 7"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
My books were a scattered mess yesterday. Amazing thing happened when I tapped the menu and tapped author. Immediately all the authors were in order.
If I do this I discover some are by author's last name and some by first name and those with two authors are worse.

I could fix this with Calibre, I know, but don't have the energy for thousands of books.
Little.Egret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2016, 01:32 AM   #21
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
Xtech, you may find this interesting: http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...de-ink-tablet/
As you can see, your idea is not new (but it's still great!) In the comments section I provided the main reason why I think this would sell.
Since the Yotaphone 2 I am sure this is technically possible (and no, it wouldn't be too thick and no, the cover is not an issue).
My guess is it was cancelled either due to the Amazon patent or due to excessive cost.
Again, if this was Apple, Samsung or Amazon, people would say, "What an original idea, I must have one of those cool tablets!"
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:26 AM   #22
xtech
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmirko View Post
Xtech, you may find this interesting: http://the-digital-reader.com/2014/1...de-ink-tablet/
As you can see, your idea is not new (but it's still great!) In the comments section I provided the main reason why I think this would sell.
Since the Yotaphone 2 I am sure this is technically possible (and no, it wouldn't be too thick and no, the cover is not an issue).
My guess is it was cancelled either due to the Amazon patent or due to excessive cost.
Thank you for the link. I did not know that. Good that it already came to other company's attention. Not only to Amazon. Perhaps it was due to the Amazon's patent that there was no actual production by Boyue.

According to sound reason, if the company does not act according to the patent for a reasonable time, it should be deprived of this patent, because it goes contrary to the patent's goal. But nowadays many things are contrary to sound reason, and the laws in some cases protect the profit, not the sound reason.

Last edited by xtech; 05-16-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little.Egret View Post
If I do this I discover some are by author's last name and some by first name and those with two authors are worse.

I could fix this with Calibre, I know, but don't have the energy for thousands of books.
Yes, many books have screwed up metadata. You really need to correct it in each book as you buy it rather than waiting until you have a large library and then doing it. What's a trivial task for one book is, as you rightly say, a significant undertaking for a large library.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 03:11 PM   #24
xtech
Zealot

After some research I learned that the Amazon had got the patent for this device (9,013,416) (http://portal.uspto.gov/pair/PublicPair), and also is paying the fees to keep the patent valid (https://fees.uspto.gov/MaintenanceFe...Number=9013416).

However, it does not produce anything specified in the patent, and thus creates an obstacle for others willing to produce it at a reasonable price FOR YEARS AND YEARS. And obviously Amazon does not give away its patent for free.

This approach reminds of a dog in the manger which will neither eat himself nor let the horse eat.

Last edited by xtech; 05-17-2016 at 05:43 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 AM   #25
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtech View Post
So, I know, even travelling, some carry:

1. Big phone
2. Big tablet
3. Big ereader

And this is in some cases not comfortable. So, the combination

1. Big phone
2. Big tablet/ereader saves place and is easlier to carry, deal with.
I see the advantage ... however, the one big disadvantage of buying any combined device is that when one part breaks, the whole does not work any more and needs to be repaired, while with two devices you could simply replace the broken piece or just use the other one.

So my guess is that not enough people will be as interested in buying this that they will shell out their hard earned money, so companies would be reluctant to produce it.

Hell, I have been waiting for Amazon to come up with a new Kindle DX. The technology is there, I gather, it's the market size that is seen as the challenge.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:38 AM   #26
xtech
Zealot

A 12 or 13 inch transformer dual screen reader/tablet combined.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_T View Post
So my guess is that not enough people will be as interested in buying this that they will shell out their hard earned money, so companies would be reluctant to produce it.
Should the device be made by some Giant, such as Sony, Amazon or Apple, it is unlikely that it will need repairs.

I cannot stop thinking of some transformer model of 12 inch size.

The materials used in Tablet/Reader that are used in DPT-S1 ereader. So, this is a light weight model.
The e-ink screen is epearl, or better, newly developped 1.2 Carta of 13.3 size.
Both tablet and ereader support stulus. Differet styluses if uses cannot be properly shared.

It's transformer so one can can disattach the reader/tablet part and then carry it during the day. This part will weight around 350 grams, light and usable for reading and navigation.

When some serious text editing is needed, or some work with graphics, requiring mouse and better keyboard, the keyboard part is attached, and then no suffering with the tablet's keyboard.

If both Windows and Android systems are supported, there is a perfect way for both reader and tablet parts.

Second monitor option is supported by ereader.

Solar energy cover support can be good for the reader with the attachable cover.

The operational capacity of the tablet can be no lower than Apple's 12.9 ipad.

It will be perfect for: lawyers, achitechts, programmers, students.

Total weight of the device with the keyboard attached up to 600 grams.

Perhaps there will be a need to buy a patent or right from Amazon to produce the dual screen ereader part.

The demand will be much higher than for the ereader alone or tablet alone. I would estimated it at around 50 - 200 thousand of devices.

Last edited by xtech; 07-25-2016 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:25 AM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtech View Post
I checked internet, and found that amazon had some plans to make it years ago: http://mashable.com/2012/08/30/amazo.../#QzcXqsyvRGqh

There was also a patent application http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-P...+AND+AN/Amazon)
No, Amazon had a patent. That does not mean they had any plans to develop the idea commercially, and it generally points to the opposite.

Any time a company gets a patent before they launch a product it usually means they have no interest in launching the product. Otherwise the device would have come first.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 09:19 PM   #28
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
The LG G Pad II 10.1 has "dual screen". However it is very limited as in limited to the Google apps. Ebook reading is limited to Play Books.

Only have done dual screen mode to see what it does. When dual screen is touched, a dialogue pops up with the icons of what can be runned: Maps, Chrome, Play Books, Gmail, Photos.........just Google apps. I haven't tried to see if any non-Google app can be added to what can run in a window.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 10:53 PM   #29
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
I've often thought, and said out loud to quite a few people, that an Eink 'blade' that is used in place of a Type Cover on a Microsoft Surface would be a great thing. The right people to produce it apparently aren't listening to me
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:13 AM   #30
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
I've often thought, and said out loud to quite a few people, that an Eink 'blade' that is used in place of a Type Cover on a Microsoft Surface would be a great thing. The right people to produce it apparently aren't listening to me
Oh, they'll listen to you! As long as you bring along some a lot of cash...

As long as the majority doesn't clammor for it, companies these days won't take a chance. The only thing that counts is the bottom line and there appears to be no more room for inovation (as that will only earn money in the long run, maybe...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote