Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #1
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Post PRS505 Firmware update: epub, DE, and reflow -- oh my!

With New PRS505 Firmware, Sony Adds Support for ePub, Digital Editions, and PDF Reflow

Yesterday morning Alexander, Bob and I were invited to participate in a conference call with the Vice President of Sony’s Audio Group, Brennan Mullin, and the Sony Reader Team’s Valerie Motis. Today, we provide the MobileRead community with the breaking story first!

We have all been looking forward to a possible firmware upgrade for about five months now. Some have speculated that the reason we haven’t already seen one might be due to Sony taking the time to add epub and DE support into the mix. While this will come as no surprise to those who have been closely following the Reader’s UK release story, I can now confirm that this particular speculation seems to have proved out: the new firmware (available sometime today, July 24th) will include support for both epub and Adobe’s Digital Editions. It will also include support for PDF reflow, which is something we’ve long been looking for. As an extra added bonus, the new firmware will support DE’s DRM system for both epub and PDF. However you may feel about DRM, this support for it, along with PDF reflow, means that all those PDF e-books available from many public libraries are now in play on the Reader for the first time, so dust off those library cards, folks!

Quote:
Starting next month, new Readers model PRS-505, will be able to access and accept secure and non-secure ebooks in the EPUB format. EPUB has gained acceptance among major trade book publishers, many of whom have committed to begin publishing forthcoming ebooks in the format.
Additionally, the device will support Adobe eBooks with digital rights management and have the capability to reflow standard text-based Portable Document Format (PDF) eBooks for improved flexibility and readability. These enhancements are now made possible with the support of Adobe Digital Editions 1.5 software, which is available as a free download at www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions.
Some nitty gritty details, now: the download of the new firmware and PC software should be available here some time on the morning of the 24th (from that page you’ll need to search for PRS505 to find it, there’s no reliable direct link at the moment). It’s still only Windows compatible, unfortunately, but this new 1.5 version of DE is supposed to support moving files directly from it onto the Reader, so that’s an extra boon for those who prefer not to use Sony’s eBook Library software.

While we’re on the topic of things it won’t do, you may have noticed the lack of mention of the PRS500. Sadly, this particular update does not work on the 500. We did specifically ask about future support of epub, DE, PDF reflow on the 500 and the answer was that they were still looking into it. Reading between the lines, we came away with the impression that it isn’t likely to happen.

PRS500 owners, I share your pain, I have my own trusty 500 right here beside me as I type this, and it looks so forlorn.

However, there are some optimistic signs that Sony is committed to this e-reading business, in general. The addition of epub and DE support means that they’re signing on to support an open format that looks to have an increasingly good shot at becoming a de facto industry standard. Many publishers are committing to using it for e-book sales, a few vendors have already started selling in it, and now there is a dedicated reading device that supports it. Very exciting stuff for those who have lived in the land of e-Babel for so long. I also take it as a sign that Sony cares more about supporting the Reader hardware, rather than being primarily focused on selling e-books. There’s no word so far as to whether the Sony eBookstore will ever sell epub format e-books, nor if they would offer re-downloads of existing purchases in that format if they did ... but we did get a plug in for that idea.

New units will begin shipping with the updated firmware installed soon (presumably there will be a few units with the old stuff for a bit), and starting next month SonyStyle will have an exclusive, limited edition Red PRS505 -- for those who have been hoping for a bit more color: there you go.

Touching back on the U.K. launch: while the firmware may differ in some respects (they have to get all those extra vowels in there somehow, you know), the U.K. hardware will be the same as the U.S./Canada hardware.

We’d like to offer a word of thanks to Sony for giving us a chance to talk with them, and for sharing this news with us.

The full Press Release is on Sony’s site here.

Posted on behalf of Bob, Alex and myself, on account of my being in the "latest" time zone.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 AM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Some comments (collected by Sony) regarding Publisher Support:

“When we became the first major publisher to embrace EPUB as our sole production file we made a commitment to our partners to ramp up our title output to meet growing consumer demand. We’ve done that and are thrilled that Sony is embracing device interoperability. This is terrific news for the eBook industry and consumers alike.”
-Neil De Young, director of Digital Media at Hachette Book Group

“Sony’s support of EPUB is an important step forward in the cooperation of publishers and portable digital book manufacturers to create better experiences for readers. We’re thrilled with the upgrade; it provides readers with more opportunities to enjoy Harlequin stories on their Sony Reader.”
-Brent Lewis, vice president Digital & Internet, Harlequin Enterprises Ltd.

“This is great news for consumers because it broadens and simplifies the eBook experience. Readers can now get copyright protected eBooks from retailers or libraries and conveniently move them between devices and desktops.”
- Ana Maria Allessi, vice president, Publisher of HarperMedia

“We have invested a substantial amount of time and money in delivering our author's works in electronic formats with our partners at Sony and through other ebook delivery formats and retail channels. We expect EPub will expedite that process, connecting readers with the works they want to read, in the way they want to read, faster than ever before.”
-John Schline, senior vice president, corporate director of Business Affairs, Penguin Group

“We are pleased that Sony’s Reader will now support the EPUB open format. This new open standard will make eBooks and other documents more accessible and user friendly, and will ultimately be an important factor in the long-term growth of the eBook marketplace.”
- Doug Stambaugh, executive director, Business Development & Operations, Simon & Schuster Digital
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:19 AM   #3
porkupan
Fanatic
porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.porkupan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
Wow, this is good news indeed! And with those new covers Sony Reader sure keeps getting better and better.
porkupan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Spartacus2112
Evangelist
Spartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheeseSpartacus2112 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
Great news for the world of ebooks and SONY owners alike.
Spartacus2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:28 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist

Wow, excellent catch, porkupan -- that deserves some highlighting of it's own!
Advert
Old 07-24-2008, 12:58 AM   #6
Prash
Zealot
Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Prash has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3W, LG OG-E970, Utopia Apad
Fantastic new features including PDF reflow...! Sony reader looks more attractive than ever...
Prash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #7
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
So, does this mean I can go to, say, Fictionwise and buy their Secure Adobe format books and I'll be able to read them on my PRS505 once I get the firmware upgrade? If so, that's just way too cool!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:02 AM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
With New PRS505 Firmware, Sony Adds Support for ePub, Digital Editions, and PDF Reflow

However, there are some optimistic signs that Sony is committed to this e-reading business, in general. ... Very exciting stuff for those who have lived in the land of e-Babel for so long. I also take it as a sign that Sony cares more about supporting the Reader hardware, rather than being primarily focused on selling e-books.

Posted on behalf of Bob, Alex and myself, on account of my being in the "latest" time zone.
Great news! Thanks, NatCh, Bob, Alex, and Sony!

I am just disappointed that it is still July 23rd here.

C'mon July 24th! Get moving!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:17 AM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorswitch View Post
So, does this mean I can go to, say, Fictionwise and buy their Secure Adobe format books and I'll be able to read them on my PRS505 once I get the firmware upgrade? If so, that's just way too cool!
That's about the size of it, thorswitch.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
kfarmer
Gizzzzmo Nerd
kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kfarmer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Excellent
kfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
thorswitch
Clueless (but nice!) Newb
thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.thorswitch is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Oh, SWEET - Thanks for making my night I've wanted to be able to shop at Fictionwise more because I like their rebate system, but their multi-format options tend to be rather limited. Being able to get their Adobe Secure books will help open that up a lot more!
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Dying to get this onto a PRS-500 !!
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:41 AM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd like that myself, suineg, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-24-2008, 01:54 AM   #14
Darqref
space cadet
Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Darqref ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket PRO, gen3, Pocketbook360
Impressive improvements, and it sure seems like there's a lot of support for epub. But, and its still a big but, I want my content with no drm.

Is there a current method for jailbreak on the epub drm formats? Anyone got enough info to be able to say they can do it (even if it is not publicly available.)?
Darqref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:57 AM   #15
philippd
Connoisseur
philippd doesn't litterphilippd doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Thats really really great.

Hope to hear of somebody who updated his reader soon
philippd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update