Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
wesb2
wesb2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Header on the Aura?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if there was a way to "bump" the text down from the top of the page on my aura, as right now it is pretty much crammed all the way to the top. I'm using side-loaded content if that matters.

I apologize if this has already been answered, or if it is an easy fix. I did my best to search for a solution but to no avail, this is my first e-reader so I'm still figuring a few things out.

Thank you for any help you can provide
wesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Hi,

I set the top margin in a Calibre conversion before sending to my Glo. For a global preference setup, it's Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Page Setup > Margins > Top. For an individual conversion, it's just Page Setup > Margins > Top.

I'm using 10 pt for the top, 5 for the sides, and 0 for the bottom.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
You can also use the Modify ePub plugin to set the epub's margins to your Calibre margin settings (described by meera above) without doing a full conversion.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Beware the adobe xpgt file (https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/XPGT); this is not part of the epub standard but is used by a lot of publishers. It also defines page margins. You can use Sigil to edit the margin-top in the xpgt file - if there is one Sigil puts it in the Misc folder in the left hand tree view. If you are feeling brave you can delete the xpgt file altogether, and use the CSS instead, AS WAS INTENDED IN THE EPUB STANDARD.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:10 AM   #5
Fursty Ferret
Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.Fursty Ferret knows the square root of minus one.

You could also use the convert to kepub plugin, which gives you the book's title in the space instead, looking a lot neater.
Fursty Ferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #6
louden
louden began at the beginning.

Device: Nook ST/Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Hi,

I set the top margin in a Calibre conversion before sending to my Glo. For a global preference setup, it's Preferences > Conversion > Common Options > Page Setup > Margins > Top. For an individual conversion, it's just Page Setup > Margins > Top.

I'm using 10 pt for the top, 5 for the sides, and 0 for the bottom.
Does this change in format remove kobo's display of "Page x of xx" on the bottom of the reader display?
louden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #7
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I can't say for certain (never tried it) but I sincerely doubt it. That part of the display is independent of ebook CSS.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
If you are feeling brave you can delete the xpgt file altogether, and use the CSS instead, AS WAS INTENDED IN THE EPUB STANDARD.
You can also remove an xpgt file using the calibre Modify Epub plugin. You don't need to be nearly so brave to use that, it's a simple checkbox
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
But please be aware that publishers often use the xpgt file to specify a large space at the top of the first page of a new chapter, so that the chapter heading appears e.g. a third of the way down the screen. I guess they think it looks more like a pbook that way. In the xpgt you have this:

Code:
<fo:simple-page-master master-name="single_column_head">
    <fo:region-before extent="8.3em" />
    <fo:region-body margin-bottom="0pt" margin-top="6em" margin-left="0pt" margin-right="0pt" />
</fo:simple-page-master>
The master-name="single_column_head" is essentially the beginning of a new chapter, and the <fo:region-before extent="8.3em" /> will in this case put about 8 blanks lines at the top of the screen. In this case we also have margin-top="6em", so that is about 14 blank lines.

If you remove the xpgt, then you will lose this spacing. You may prefer that anyway. You can always put something in the css to compensate, e.g., a suitable margin-top on h1. But that will be more work.

In my opinion, what the publishers should be doing is not using an xpgt file at all, but coding the css appropriately, after all it is perfectly able to cope with this and the xpgt is just redundant fluff, unless you happen to have an epub that relies on it.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #10
wesb2
wesb2 began at the beginning.

Thank you all for you help! I really appreciate it
wesb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 AM   #11
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by louden View Post
Does this change in format remove kobo's display of "Page x of xx" on the bottom of the reader display?
No, it doesn't - that part is within the black menubar (or white menubar, or however you have it set to display). It does take the text all the way down nearly to the top of that bar.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote