Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 04-26-2012, 05:29 PM   #1
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Amazon’s Kindle Fire Now Has Over Half The U.S. Android Tablet Market

http://techcrunch.com/2012/04/26/com...the-mindshare/

Quote:
On the same day that Amazon will be releasing its quarterly earnings, some research from comScore underscores just how far the company has come since launching its Kindle Fire tablet in November 2011.

The researchers say that as of February 2012, Amazon’s Kindle Fire now accounts for 54.4 percent of all Android tablets in the U.S. Given how many different models of Android tablets there are out in the market at the moment, that gives it a strong lead over the rest of the field: the whole range of Samsung Galaxy Tab tablets, added together, only accounted for 15.4 percent of the market, with the Xoom following at seven percent, comScore said.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Interesting read, thanks for the link.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Looks like the only two really successful companies to market tablets--Apple and Amazon--by no coincidence have the capability to also provide a store with plenty of apps and media with which to populate those tablets. I doubt any other companies could compete in the tablet market with Apple and Amazon at this point, with the possible exception of Google, and even Google would be hard pressed to compete. Hats off to Amazon!

I don't consider Microsoft as a competitor as they would not release their own tablets, just the software. I do hope Windows 8 starts the transition from lackluster iOS and Android tablets to powerful workhorse tablets.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's a lot of fondleslabs. (Jeez, that term is addicting)
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's a lot of fondleslabs. (Jeez, that term is addicting)
Advert
Old 04-29-2012, 12:00 PM   #6
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
For Microsoft to compete, they have to improve the Zune Store. I believe they will buy B&N and Netflix for this purpose.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

As I said earlier I really don't think Microsoft will try to compete in the tablet hardware arena. Why should they? They can simply put out a good tablet OS and let nature take its course. With a good OS for tablets, the hardware giants will finally be able to compete.

Even Steve Wozniak says he likes the Windows phone OS better than iOS and Android. I think there are a lot of us who are really interested in a tablet OS that is somewhere between the too simple and way too closed iOS and the open but overly complex and way too inefficient and flaky Android. And the idea of running essentially the same powerful and graceful OS on a desktop, a laptop, and a tablet is very appealing to many. And on top of that it will be great to use most of the same peripheral devices on all three without having to rely on kluge third-party adapters.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
same reason they compete in the console world despite having their OS on the most popular gaming platform.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #9
Jessica Lares
Wizard

The problem I see in general is that Windows 8 is nothing more than a layer on top of Window 7. It's not like iOS where the barebones of OS X is still there and the rest has been stripped out. Instead of using their very, very good Windows Embedded framework like they do on Windows Phone/Zune, they've just piled junk on top of existing junk with security tweaks and the like.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
maximus83
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
The problem I see in general is that Windows 8 is nothing more than a layer on top of Window 7. It's not like iOS where the barebones of OS X is still there and the rest has been stripped out. Instead of using their very, very good Windows Embedded framework like they do on Windows Phone/Zune, they've just piled junk on top of existing junk with security tweaks and the like.
This is not correct IMO. Windows 8 is much more than just an eye candy type of front end. Users may or may not like the new UI, but there IS a lot of new substance under the hood. If you look at the publicly released information about it (see this article, that shows the architecture), includes a new fundamental runtime layer called "WinRT." There are various new UI-layer development options, but under the hood, the WinRT layer is a completely new, OO way of doing things (as opposed to the old-school calling of Win32 layer). To quote this article: "WinRT isn’t another abstraction layer; it resides directly on top of the kernel just like the Win32 API. This marks the first major break in the core of Windows since Win32 was introduced in 1993 with Windows NT. WinRT represents a new application execution environment with semantics that are very different than Win32."

And this article makes a similar point:
"WinRT (the new Windows Run Time) is not a replacement for Silverlight or .NET, it's a replacement for Win32. And that means that it's the new native runtime for Windows, and not a managed code layer that sits higher on the stack."

Last edited by maximus83; 04-29-2012 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
I would love to see Amazon use a more standard
interface on the Fire; it really is a nice device.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"I would love to see Amazon use a more standard
interface on the Fire; it really is a nice device."
I am running the Go Launcher Ex& rotating wall paper as my home screen on My Kindle Ffire WITHOUT ROOTING
I never see the stock interface as I use sideloaded E-reader apps for books
I am running 84 android apps.
I see no need to root my device at all.

Last edited by Anabran; 04-29-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:11 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus83 View Post
This is not correct IMO. Windows 8 is much more than just an eye candy type of front end. Users may or may not like the new UI, but there IS a lot of new substance under the hood. If you look at the publicly released information about it (see this article, that shows the architecture), includes a new fundamental runtime layer called "WinRT." There are various new UI-layer development options, but under the hood, the WinRT layer is a completely new, OO way of doing things (as opposed to the old-school calling of Win32 layer). To quote this article: "WinRT isn’t another abstraction layer; it resides directly on top of the kernel just like the Win32 API. This marks the first major break in the core of Windows since Win32 was introduced in 1993 with Windows NT. WinRT represents a new application execution environment with semantics that are very different than Win32."

And this article makes a similar point:
"WinRT (the new Windows Run Time) is not a replacement for Silverlight or .NET, it's a replacement for Win32. And that means that it's the new native runtime for Windows, and not a managed code layer that sits higher on the stack."
But I can still run pretty much any app that works on Windows 3.1 beyond on Windows 8, which is my point. They needed to completely ditch the backwards compatibility which makes Windows prone to security issues in the first place. The fact that Windows Mobile and Windows Phone use Windows Embedded instead of just Windows makes them much more secured.

WinRT will be ditching that old framework, but the versions that run on Intel won't.
Old 04-29-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
I am running the Go Launcher Ex& rotating wall paper as my home screen on My Kindle Ffire WITHOUT ROOTING

Why do you have ROM Manager then if I may ask? And Superuser at that.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:01 AM   #15
Harry_Y
Addict
Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harry_Y ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle DX, Galaxy Tab 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post

If you press and hold the Phone, Person, etc icons on the bottom row you
can change them (not sure if you knew that). it makes it look less like a phone.
Harry_Y is offline   Reply With Quote