Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 10-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #691
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Oh, of course. What's really annoying is that Google have scanned the book, but can't/won't permit downloads, even in countries where it's out of copyright.
That is somewhat irritating, I agree.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 12:29 PM   #692
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There are several of his books at archive.org, although none with that title. Unless it's another name for "Early British trackways:moats, mounds, camps and sites"

[Edit: no, I see that was probably an earlier version, published 1922 not 1925.]
That one's subtitle is:

"A lecture given to the Woolhope Naturalists' Field Club, at Hereford, September, 1921, by Alfred Watkins, Fellow and progress medallist (for 1910), of the Royal Photographic Society; Past president (1919) of the Woolhope Club. With illustrations by the author, and much added matter."

So I think the 1925 book was a considerably expanded version of the lecture.

[Edit] I have owned a paper copy of the book, and I loaned it to a friend (I can't remember who) but in any event it never came back. Perhaps the friend found it too boring to finish. But I simply don't want to buy a second copy of the same book.

Last edited by Araucaria; 10-31-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2015, 12:46 PM   #693
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araucaria View Post
I have owned a paper copy of the book, and I loaned it to a friend (I can't remember who) but in any event it never came back. Perhaps the friend found it too boring to finish. But I simply don't want to buy a second copy of the same book.
It looks as if that's your only option at present, unfortunately.
Old 12-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #694
Araucaria
Bibliophile
Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Araucaria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Libra H20, Kindle PW2, Moon Pro on Lenovo tablet
PD in 2016

It's now getting close to 1st January 2016, and I noticed this Wikipedia list of authors entering the (EU) public domain in 2016.

I have to say it's a rather uninspiring list, even if one counts (or discounts) both Hitler and Mussolini. Does anyone read Theodore Dreiser nowadays? Or E. R. Eddison?

Perhaps there are better authors not included in the list?
Araucaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #695
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Well, from a German perspective, Else Lasker-Schüler, Franz Werfel and Dietrich Bonhoeffer are very interesting. Personally, I'm excited about Lasker-Schüler going PD - one of my favourite 20th century German poets.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2015, 01:27 AM   #696
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I'm pleased that Robert Benchley's work will be accessible. I enjoyed some of his humor columns years ago. Hmmmm.....
(I always did have a weakness for funny fellows!)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 05:05 AM   #697
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I just realized the topic is incorrect. It should also mention books released via Creative Commons.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #698
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
It's not necessarily incorrect. The fact that you can upload Creative Commons books to the library does not mean that this thread must be for anything other than Public Domain books

CC books are likely to be available in digital form already, anyway.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 06:24 PM   #699
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It's not necessarily incorrect. The fact that you can upload Creative Commons books to the library does not mean that this thread must be for anything other than Public Domain books

CC books are likely to be available in digital form already, anyway.
I've see some of Cory Doctorow's books in digital form. But the versions he has on his website are from the first person to get them to him and in most cases, I find them not all that well made. I would have to start with the HTML he originally posted and go from there.

Just because a book is in digital form doesn't mean it's all that wonderful. Take a look at PG ePub. Not good and they need to be hand made instead of the ones they've posted.

So the topic should also be mentioning CC as not all CC eBooks are good enough to post at MR without fixing up.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:47 AM   #700
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just because a book is in digital form doesn't mean it's all that wonderful. Take a look at PG ePub. Not good and they need to be hand made instead of the ones they've posted.

So the topic should also be mentioning CC as not all CC eBooks are good enough to post at MR without fixing up.
Just because you can request a CC book doesn't mean you should do it in this thread. This thread is for Public Domain books (according to the title). If you want to request something else, do it in a separate thread. Once you are told that the request should have been made in this thread you can argue that the title be modified.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #701
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The topic was changed because people were requesting book still in copyright. I think excluding CC was an oversight.
Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #702
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Jon, this conversation is at an end. The subject of the thread is not changing, and that's an end to the matter. Drop it. Now.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:35 PM   #703
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I can't find Elizabeth Von Arnim's Love free for download anywhere on the net and was wondering if one of mobileread's ebook developers would be so kind as to produce another of the brilliantly formatted books found in the memorial library.
I hope that's enough grovelling and also hope that there's no copyright reason why I can't find this book. Thanks.

Edited to ask for a kindle friendly version please.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-15-2016 at 04:40 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #704
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I can't find Elizabeth Von Arnim's Love free for download anywhere on the net and was wondering if one of mobileread's ebook developers would be so kind as to produce another of the brilliantly formatted books found in the memorial library.
I hope that's enough grovelling and also hope that there's no copyright reason why I can't find this book. Thanks.

Edited to ask for a kindle friendly version please.
The book is certainly in the life+70 public domain, but people need some source to convert from. If you can't find a digital copy of it, there's nothing for people to work on.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:17 AM   #705
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The book is certainly in the life+70 public domain, but people need some source to convert from. If you can't find a digital copy of it, there's nothing for people to work on.
Yep This is definitely one of the occasions where it would be easiest just to get the readily available commercial ebook:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Virago...von+arnim+love
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote