Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Reading on Paper is Faster than iBooks on the iPad

Interesting read

Quote:
That said this study leaves a lot to be desired owing to its small test group size,
I wonder how MR members would fare in this study?
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Interesting, but irrelevant. The sample was way too small to obtain the relevant results.
However, I agree that I enjoy a lot more reading my ebook than a paper book.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
I'm not sure how any of this study is relevant. Are we buying ereaders because we want to read faster? I'm not.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:24 AM   #4
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Why isn't this in this thread?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:27 AM   #5
BongoBong
Enthusiast
BongoBong is on a distinguished road

Device: none
"The study found that reading on an electronic tablet was up to 10.7 percent slower than reading a printed book. "

up to 10.7 percent slower means nothing, it could just be one person who couldn't figure out the buttons! An average on how much slower would be much better.

"Overall, it took each user an average of 17 minutes and 20 seconds to read a story regardless of the platform"

This part makes it seem like the average was the same for each way of reading.
BongoBong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:04 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
I'm not sure how any of this study is relevant. Are we buying ereaders because we want to read faster? I'm not.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:39 AM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
But if you read faster, you can read more!

Oh wait, I don't want to read faster, because I'll have to say goodbye to my friends faster then too...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:00 AM   #8
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

The test is really limited, but average consumption speed is a good general measure of reading media effectiveness. Dismissing speed as some have been doing is misguided.

There are other psychological and physiological tests that can be done, but larger sample sizes are necessary.
Old 07-06-2010, 06:38 AM   #9
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
If I am replacing paper books I will not use something that makes me read slower compared to my paper book reading speed.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 AM   #10
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
The test is really limited, but average consumption speed is a good general measure of reading media effectiveness. Dismissing speed as some have been doing is misguided.

Depends on WHY people are reading faster.

If they are reading slower because they are given a new ebook reader and are unfamiliar with the controls, then it is a short-term thing.

If they are reading slower because it is hard for them to see the words, that is a problem.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:14 AM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Study needs to be done with a couple of thousand people across all ages and familiarity levels with the technologies in order to be useful.

And it also needs to randomize the order of the devices.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #12
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
The article makes the point that the 4.5% advantage of the iPad over the kindle was "not statistically significant."

If the 4.5% difference between the iPad and the Kindle is so insignificant I have to wonder if the 6.2% difference between a paper book and the iPad is significant.

At exactly what point does the difference become significant enough to matter.

Just the figures:
average
17m 20s
=1040s

iPad
+ 6.2%
=1104.48s
=18m 24s 48ms

Kindle 2
+ 10.7%
=1151.28s
=19m 11s 38ms

"The difference [between reading times on the iPad and Kindle 2] would be so small that it wouldn't be a reason to buy one over the other," Nielsen wrote.

Since the difference between the iPad and Kindle 2 is only a little more than the difference between the iPad and a paper book, does this mean that this is no reason to choose a paper book over the iPad.

Last edited by billyad2000; 07-06-2010 at 07:32 AM.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:42 AM   #13
fishface
Connoisseur
fishface is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by billyad2000 View Post
The article makes the point that the 4.5% advantage of the iPad over the kindle was "not statistically significant."

If the 4.5% difference between the iPad and the Kindle is so insignificant I have to wonder if the 6.2% difference between a paper book and the iPad is significant.
As mentioned, nothing in this study was significant. The sample set was too small (24 people), the activities too limited, and the differences too marginal.

Yay Interweb pseudojournalism! You can always count on it to pick up random WTF bullshit and report it like it's news.
fishface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJHARKAVY View Post
Depends on WHY people are reading faster.

If they are reading slower because they are given a new ebook reader and are unfamiliar with the controls, then it is a short-term thing.

If they are reading slower because it is hard for them to see the words, that is a problem.
The original link stated that the participants were taught how to use the devices so as to exclude UI-based confusion from the test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishface View Post
As mentioned, nothing in this study was significant. The sample set was too small (24 people), the activities too limited, and the differences too marginal.

Yay Interweb pseudojournalism! You can always count on it to pick up random WTF bullshit and report it like it's news.
I don't think I'd go that far. It's far from good or comprehensive testing, and the findings aren't conclusive of anything really, but the premise of the test is good, and could promote further excursions into that area of research in the future.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 07-06-2010 at 08:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Does it matter ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote