Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 12-13-2012, 08:11 AM   #1
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 8 mobile. Samsung 8 and 10 Tablets
Question Kindle App on Android - why are some books Archived and can I change that?

Like the Kindle App on my Nexus
But was wondering why some of the books say archived when downloaded.

Google won't tell me.

Also how can I add mobi files to the Kindle program on my pc, to later sync with my Nexus?

Last edited by book64; 12-13-2012 at 08:45 AM.
book64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Archived" book are books that you've bought from Amazon, which are NOT currently installed on that particular device or Kindle App. When you go to the Archive and tap the book, it will download to the device, and then disappear from the Archive.

To manually add books to "Kindle for PC", either open them with Kindle for PC (ie right click and say "Open With..." in Windows Explorer) or simply copy the book into your "My Documents\My Kindle Content" folder.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
book64
Love reading
book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.book64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Archived" book are books that you've bought from Amazon, which are NOT currently installed on that particular device or Kindle App. When you go to the Archive and tap the book, it will download to the device, and then disappear from the Archive.

To manually add books to "Kindle for PC", either open them with Kindle for PC (ie right click and say "Open With..." in Windows Explorer) or simply copy the book into your "My Documents\My Kindle Content" folder.
Thank you very much.I had thought archived would be "already read" That's what confused me. Thought kindle was faulty.
So what happens to books I have just read? Do they get mixed up with the archived that I have not?
Old 12-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nothing happens to a book that you've read until you do something with it.

If it's a book that you've bought from Amazon and you remove it from your device, it will reappear in the "Archive". If it's a book that you haven't bought from Amazon, then when you delete it it will simply disappear (unless it's in the Cloud drive, or something, of course).

Merely "finishing" a book will not, in itself, do anything at all to it. You have to take explicit action.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Nothing happens to a book that you've read until you do something with it.

If it's a book that you've bought from Amazon and you remove it from your device, it will reappear in the "Archive". If it's a book that you haven't bought from Amazon, then when you delete it it will simply disappear (unless it's in the Cloud drive, or something, of course).

Merely "finishing" a book will not, in itself, do anything at all to it. You have to take explicit action.
Thanks.
So if I buy a book I find I really dont want I am stuck with it forever?
Plus is there a way to mark it finished? As seem to have lots and lots now and can't remember lol
Also can I import them into calibre with my epubs?

Last edited by book64; 12-14-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If you REALLY don't want a book, you can PERMANENTLY delete it from your library from the "Manage Your Kindle" page at Amazon. But if you subsequently change your mind, you'll have to buy it again.

Yes, certainly you can import Kindle books into Calibre. The easiest way to do so is to use "Kindle for PC".
Old 12-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #7
book64
Love reading

Question

Quote:

Yes, certainly you can import Kindle books into Calibre. The easiest way to do so is to use "Kindle for PC".
How do I do that? I do have Calibre but not added Kindle books

Thanks for all the info.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Install "Kindle for PC". Go to the "Archive" on "Kindle for PC" and download the book; that will download it to your PC, and put it in the "My Documents\My Kindle Content" folder. Open Windows Explorer and drag it from there into Calibre.

Note: the filename on the PC will be a meaningless string of numbers. To find which is the correct book to copy to Calibre, sort the folder by date and then look for the book file that has a timestamp of the date and time that you downloaded it. You can double-click it in Windows Explorer to open it in K4PC and verify that it really is the correct book.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Install "Kindle for PC". Go to the "Archive" on "Kindle for PC" and download the book; that will download it to your PC, and put it in the "My Documents\My Kindle Content" folder. Open Windows Explorer and drag it from there into Calibre.

Note: the filename on the PC will be a meaningless string of numbers. To find which is the correct book to copy to Calibre, sort the folder by date and then look for the book file that has a timestamp of the date and time that you downloaded it. You can double-click it in Windows Explorer to open it in K4PC and verify that it really is the correct book.
Thanks again.
I have only used Calibre for my epubs (but it won't convert kindle books will it?)

But would be handy if they were also catalogued in Calibre
Is it possible for Calibre to show what file format they are So i dont get confused? lol
You will be pleased to know (or not) lol I am printing out your advice for future reference lol
Old 12-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sure it'll convert Kindle books (but you'll need to use the Calibre plug-ins to remove the DRM, if the book has DRM. We can't talk about that here, but a Google search for "Apprentice Alf" will get you everything that you need).

Calibre does show you the book's format. You can store the same book in multiple formats. Kindle books will either have a format of "Mobi" (for the old "Mobipocket" format), or "AZW3" (for the much better, more modern, "KF8" format).
Old 12-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #11
book64
Love reading

Quote:
Sure it'll convert Kindle books (but you'll need to use the Calibre plug-ins to remove the DRM, if the book has DRM. We can't talk about that here, but a Google search for "Apprentice Alf" will get you everything that you need).

Calibre does show you the book's format. You can store the same book in multiple formats. Kindle books will either have a format of "Mobi" (for the old "Mobipocket" format), or "AZW3" (for the much better, more modern, "KF8" format).
Thanks where in calibre is the books formats? I know it is shown in the large window on the right when you click on a book.
Was hoping for somewhere to click that sorts the epubs from the kindles before I start adding many.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

You can search by format, but you really need to be asking this kind of question in the Calibre forum, not here.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
book64
Love reading

Quote:
You can search by format, but you really need to be asking this kind of question in the Calibre forum, not here.
OK well thanks for all your help.