Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
Keloff
Electronic media explorer
Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Keloff can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle (6" Display, Global Wireless, Latest Generation), iPad 2
The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane.

At first I thought I'd find this book too sweet, but I really enjoyed the story. For me it was amazing in the sense that it was magical, but not in the wizards-and-maidens kind of way. =)
Keloff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:48 AM   #17
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
In non-fiction, I recommend "Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption".
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:39 PM   #18
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Here are some books that I consider amazing. I also enjoy true crime and have read most of Ann Rule's books.

Another author that I consider amazing is Laura Ingalls Wilder. I continue to read her writing occasionally, even as an adult, when I need to get the funk out of my head from reading true crime.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 AM   #19
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Here are some books that I consider amazing. I also enjoy true crime and have read most of Ann Rule's books.

Another author that I consider amazing is Laura Ingalls Wilder. I continue to read her writing occasionally, even as an adult, when I need to get the funk out of my head from reading true crime.

The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot

Shattered Dreams by Irene Spencer

Sick Puppy by Carl Hiaasen

A Walk in the Woods: Rediscovering America on the Appalachian Trail by Bill Bryson

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

The Beans of Egypt, Maine by Carolyn Chute
Ahhh, Hiaasen. Have you read any of his other works? Tim Dorsey writes in a similar vein.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 AM   #20
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolandD View Post
Ahhh, Hiaasen. Have you read any of his other works? Tim Dorsey writes in a similar vein.
Yep, I've read them all. I just picked my favorite to keep the list short. Never heard of Tim Dorsey, but will check him out asap. Carl Hiaasen is one of my all time favorite authors so would love to find someone who writes similar.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #21
RolandD
Fanatic
RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RolandD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch is now my main eReader.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Yep, I've read them all. I just picked my favorite to keep the list short. Never heard of Tim Dorsey, but will check him out asap. Carl Hiaasen is one of my all time favorite authors so would love to find someone who writes similar.
He's very similar. Maybe a little more whacked out, but lots of fun. I also agree with the Millennium Series by Stieg Larsson, the first being, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. I would also recommend The Devil in the White City : Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson.
RolandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #22
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
wvcherrybomb, maybe you will find some great suggestions in this thread

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=102829

where some of us listed their most favourite books.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you enjoy Bill Bryson, have you read "A Short History of Nearly Everything"? It's my favourite of his books. Absolutely fascinating.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:44 AM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you enjoy Bill Bryson, have you read "A Short History of Nearly Everything"? It's my favourite of his books. Absolutely fascinating.

The next book on my TBR list is "At Home. A Short History of Private Life."
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM   #25
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
The next book on my TBR list is "At Home. A Short History of Private Life."
I'll have to add that one to my list - I haven't read it yet.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 AM   #26
bevdeforges
Addict
bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bevdeforges ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma; Sony PRS600B; Sony 350; Sony T-2
In the novels category, I'd definitely recommend Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. It's a unique book - six distinct stories, with certain threads running between them - structured like one of those Russian dolls with a doll inside a doll inside a doll. There are element of "science fiction" in maybe two of the stories (mainly the idea that these stories take place somewhere in the future), but one story is a sort of detective story in the "noire" tradition, and two of the stories are definitely historical fiction.

Initially, the first half of each story is told - each story in chronological sequence. The final story is told all the way through and then the second half of each of the previous stories is wrapped up in reverse chronological order. They are all interconnected, but in strange and diverse ways. Definitely one of the best novels I've ever read.
bevdeforges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:59 AM   #27
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Twelve Bar Blues by Patrick Neate. Whitbread Award-winner in 2001. I adored it.

Can't remember much about it now, but I know I wanted to read all his books after finishing it. (Only read "The London Pigeon Wars" so far, didn't like it as much as Twelve Bar Blues.)
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #28
shootist
Zealot
shootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned offshootist can read ebooks with the screen turned off

Device: nook, prs-650, prs-350, galaxy tab 2
Ghost Rider by Neil Peart. I couldn't put it down.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #29
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Rohinton Mistry - A Fine Balance
Vikram Seth - A Suitable Boy
Roddy Doyle - The Barrytown Trilogy
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #30
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Not Bryson, but have you read "An Omnivore's Dilemma" by Michael Pollan? I think you'll like it. It's not only a well written book, but I rate it as one of the 10 most important books I've read in the last 20 years. (I'd have to argue with myself at length to say exactly where in that top 10 it fits, but I suspect it would actually be well into the top 5.)
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote