Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-09-2011, 05:18 PM   #1
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
e-pub confused

Boy, am I confused; and may be asking stupid questions because of it. I am fairly new to my Sony 950 reader. I signed up to Border's and receive their e-mails with specials. I was looking @ ordering a couple of books & I see that the description does not state they are e-pub; they are Kobo. Does that mean I will not be able to download the e-pub edition once I purchase?
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
No worries. It's not you. The Borders website is confusing! Their ebookstore is actually linked to (powered by) the Kobo ebookstore. Underneath the "About" description of the book is a section called "Publishing Details". You should see something like "File types: Mobile, ePub" if the book is available in ePub format. Before their website had the Kobo logo splashed everywhere, it was easier to identify the file format. Now it's in small print.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
A lot of Kobo store books (but not all!) are available in ePub format. I get books for my 950 from them. If you go to the website, not the desktop app, and look at the book's page there, you can tell if it's ePub or not. All books that have an adobe download link are ePub and can go on the 950, in fact the Kobo desktop app will sync them with your reader. The ones without a download link though, are another matter... I haven't found a way to get them to my 950 yet.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
travelingsandy
Connoisseur
travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!travelingsandy , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kindle Fire HD 7", Kobo Aura
I guess I am still not sure what the Kobo E-book download is. Borders site no longer states e-pub download (at least I can not find it); it just says Kobo e-book download. So, does that mean if you purchase a book in Kobo format you will be able to download it to your desktop & read it on the Sony 950? Sorry for all of the confusion on my part.
travelingsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
saskir
saskir began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 650
As far as I understand all the postings here Kobo Ebook only means that the filesa re from the kobo store. They are epub when it is stated that they are "File types: Mobile, ePub" under the publishing details. Kobo is not another filetype.
saskir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

First, be aware that Borders is going into liquidation his week which means they will no longer exist. I assume the website store will go away by the end of the week, so all of this might be a moot point, however this should not adversely affect KoboBooks.com.

Kobo uses a special eBook format which many around MobileRead have nicknamed kePub, short for Kobo ePub. The kePub has a special digital rights management (DRM) that keeps it from being displayed on non-Kobo readers. So kePubs will not work on Sony readers. For some books, but not all, Borders/KoboBooks stores have an Adobe ePub version which you can download to your PC/Mac and sideload onto readers that can view Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) style ePubs. Your reader has to have an ADE registration though, but this is easy to get/accomplish.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
For some books, but not all, Borders/KoboBooks stores have an Adobe ePub version which you can download to your PC/Mac and sideload onto readers that can view Adobe Digital Edition (ADE) style ePubs. Your reader has to have an ADE registration though, but this is easy to get/accomplish.
Actually, the Kobo books that are available in ePub can be added to a Sony reader using the Kobo Desktop software. I sync my PRS-950 with the Kobo software all the time, since that's so much easier than going through the extra steps of adding them through Calibre.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:12 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
Actually, the Kobo books that are available in ePub can be added to a Sony reader using the Kobo Desktop software. I sync my PRS-950 with the Kobo software all the time, since that's so much easier than going through the extra steps of adding them through Calibre.
Kobo's ADE ePub and kePub are not the same. You are confusing the two. I understand why since this whole darn DRM issue is ridiculous to begin with, then companies like Kobo decide to make it even worse by trying to limit their specially formatted/DRMed ePubs to their hardware. It is no wonder why Amazon has managed to capture 2/3s of the ebook market with an inferior format (mobi). If Kobo and the other companies using ePubs would settle on a single flavor of ePub and standardize it for all of their hardware, then perhaps Amazon would feel the pressure. But as long as they remain fragmented, Amazon will eat their lunch in the market.

BTW, the Kobo touch even uses a different rendering engine to display ADE ePubs than it does to display kePubs. They have succeeded in confusing even their own customers on this whole ePub verses kePub issue.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-19-2011 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Kobo's ADE ePub and kePub are not the same. You are confusing the two.
I don't think I am, I never said that kePub syncs with my Sony reader.

Kobo's ADE ePub books do sync with the 950 through their desktop software, which is very convenient. Kobo's kePub books do not sync with the 950, since Kobo has made that format exclusive to their brand of readers, so I read the kePub titles in the Kobo app on my phone. Sorry if my first post wasn't clear on the format-thing.
Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM   #10
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, PRS-505 (BLUE)
Fascinating thread. I thought all Kobo books were epub.
benham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingsandy View Post
I guess I am still not sure what the Kobo E-book download is. Borders site no longer states e-pub download (at least I can not find it); it just says Kobo e-book download. So, does that mean if you purchase a book in Kobo format you will be able to download it to your desktop & read it on the Sony 950? Sorry for all of the confusion on my part.
It used to be when you clicked the purchase button it would take you to a Borders shopping cart interface and the Kobo ebookstore relationship was behind the scenes. Now when you click the buy button it takes you direct to a Kobo account login and the shopping cart is through the Kobo website. They also want you to transfer your Borders ebook library to your Kobo account. Since Borders will probably start liquidating any day it is best to just setup a Kobo account and buy direct from their website from now on.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #12
benham
Guru
benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.benham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Right, I did that a couple weeks ago. It makes sense to have everything in one spot. I only had a couple to transfer over, though.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:26 PM   #13
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by benham View Post
Fascinating thread. I thought all Kobo books were epub.
Unfortunately no. However, if you have a Kobo Touch, not sure about the WiFi, at least they let you download both the kePub and ePub (if it exists). Which means for the same price you can have the kePub for your KT and an ePub for non-Kobo readers that are registered for ADE. If you don't have a Kobo then you have to be careful not to accidentally purchase a kePub that does not have a corresponding ADE ePub. Kobo really needs to make that point more obvious on the store site.

@ScalyFreak, My bad, I misunderstood what you wrote.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-21-2011 at 05:30 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #14
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
If you don't have a Kobo then you have to be careful not to accidentally purchase a kePub that does not have a corresponding ADE ePub.
This +1. Double-check and verify before buying from Kobo's store if you don't have a Kobo reader!
Old 07-21-2011, 10:47 PM   #15
benham
Guru

Quote:
Unfortunately no. However, if you have a Kobo Touch, not sure about the WiFi, at least they let you download both the kePub and ePub (if it exists). Which means for the same price you can have the kePub for your KT and an ePub for non-Kobo readers that are registered for ADE. If you don't have a Kobo then you have to be careful not to accidentally purchase a kePub that does not have a corresponding ADE ePub. Kobo really needs to make that point more obvious on the store site.

@ScalyFreak, My bad, I misunderstood what you wrote.
I just have the Kobo apps on my iPod Touch and the Cruz Reader.