Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 07-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #1
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Necroposting and other parascriptias

Up in the Sony forum, there's a fellow who's so upset about the epub/pdf bug that he's dug up every single ancient thread about it and added a rant to each of them, bashing Sony. This wasn't just a case of reading each thread looking for help, either, and then commenting -- the posts are at 22:46, 22:55, 23:01, 23:05, and 23:09. The first (22:46) thread was new; all the rest are year-old topics he dug up specifically to bash Sony -- and I assume if he finds any more, he'll spam up the forum with them, too.

There are times when resurrecting an old thread can be useful, but those times seem a lot fewer than old threads being resurrected by people who landed on them via Google and attached some unrelated question, other search-related necroposting, and stuff like this. I ranted about this quite a bit over in the "Authors Pushing Books" thread; go read that one for the rest of my tirade.

I think threads seriously need to auto-lock after a few months. Ideally, nobody with newbie-level karma, post count, or time registered (or some combination of the above) could post to a thread more than a couple of months old; by the time they get past that point, they'll know when it's okay to drag them out of their graves and when not to. But if there's no way to limit necroposting to non-newbies, just auto-lock the blasted threads, because this is starting to get really confusing.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote