Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-22-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Did you know that non-fiction is denser than fiction?

I am moving next weekend, but since I'll be busy next week, I already started packing. I've packed up most of my books today. I found out that small size moving boxes was the answer - usually I've just spread a thin layer of books in all my moving boxes, but this time I got the feeling there'd be too few boxes all in all if I did that. I've been going through my things and it's been a pleasant surprise to discover that I don't own as much "stuff" as I feared. Only books....

Anyway, I can fill a box with fiction books, and it'll be heavy, but not unmanageably heavy. With non-fiction, I've had to stop when it's filled about 2/3-3/4. And it's not that my fiction books are all small, light-weight, mass-market paperbacks - most of them are not - but non-fiction books are apparently overall denser and thus heavier. And I've got perhaps 2/3 non-fiction to 1/3 part fiction books.

I can't wait till this is over.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
It sounds like your non-fiction books have better paper.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Very probably Though one can imagine that it's all the intellect behind the words on the paper that is weighing down the books Apparently story-telling is more light-weight.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
My family calls fiction, "fluff". Now, I know why.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:08 PM   #5
Ea
Wizard

Well, at the moment I sincerely wish the fluff-to-seriousdenseness relationship were a bit... different in my home than it is.
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I hope the move is a good thing and you don't have too much disruption. I paid the movers to transport all my books when my son and I moved. Of course, when I saw what the estimate was for the books, we sold quite a few of them.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Thank ye gods for ebooks. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:37 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
experience, knowledge and ideas are heavy
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #9
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
and at the same time they elevate the spirit ...

This brings us right in the middle of Pataphysics. A link? why not. No better a list of the giants on whose shoulders we stand:

Hippocrates of Chios
Sophrotatos the Armenian
Alfred Jarry
Raymond Queneau
Eugene Ionesco
Boris Vian (Considering Boris Vian a giant is a true pataphysical assertion)

just to name a few
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 07:55 AM   #10
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
One reason I hate moving is my "library." Yes the small boxes are best for books otherwise they become heavy and unwieldy.

Good Luck with the move!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
I hope the move is a good thing and you don't have too much disruption. I paid the movers to transport all my books when my son and I moved. Of course, when I saw what the estimate was for the books, we sold quite a few of them.
It's fine, I'm looking forward to it. It's just that it's nine years since I moved last time and I'm completely out of practice. Plus I've acquired a number of things since then. Apparently especially books *sigh*
Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 AM   #12
Ea
Wizard

Just weighed a particularly heavy one; The Art of East Asia. 6 kg!

But I think my IKEA catalogue collection is close on its heels, weight-wise.
Old 05-30-2010, 05:47 PM   #13
Ea
Wizard

Everything's in now, my family has left, and I'm going to bed (it's a quarter to twelve). It's SO quiet here (wonderful!) Wish I didn't have school tomorrow But I can sleep in Tuesday. And sort stuff out. I finally found my shoes, but my make-up is still missing. Now I just need to figure out what bus to take tomorrow.
Old 05-31-2010, 04:39 AM   #14
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
Everything's in now, my family has left, and I'm going to bed (it's a quarter to twelve). It's SO quiet here (wonderful!) Wish I didn't have school tomorrow But I can sleep in Tuesday. And sort stuff out. I finally found my shoes, but my make-up is still missing. Now I just need to figure out what bus to take tomorrow.
That's everything packed ?

So the reverse process will be less painful ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:42 PM   #15
Ea
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
That's everything packed ?
Everything's packed, moved, and inside my new apartment
(sorry if it wasn't clear)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post
So the reverse process will be less painful ?
Well... Define painful It takes time to pack because there's all the clutter to clear up at the end, but then it also takes a lot of time to put things away finally - and put up things like shelves, lamps, curtain rods, towel holders, etc. That's a great time to have a man in one's life Unfortunately both my brother and my father are aware I am fully capable of doing such things on my own and will tell me so* - but I don't like doing it. I just put up a light-blocking blind in my bedroom - almost took an hour - once was enough. Though break of dawn at 4.00-3.30 AM is enough as well... I hate waking early in the summer - you'd know, I think.

*they'll help if I look helpless enough *lol*

Last edited by Ea; 05-31-2010 at 05:45 PM.