Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-08-2016, 01:21 AM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Top of serif fonts displaying on wrong page...

I have an ePub (converted from an Amazon MOBI) that is displaying weird on my Kobo (where it's been converted to Kepub). I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the ePub or Kobo section.

Anyway, I have a book and at the page breaks, the tops of the serif fonts on the next page are displaying at the bottom of the current page. See below screenshots:

Notice that the top of the 'b' in 'bus' and the 'd' in 'driver' and 'did' appear at the bottom of the first screen and are chopped off of the top of the second.

I've edited ePubs with Sigil many times, so I'm not a newbie, but I'm far from an expert. I'm guessing line height is less than font height somewhere in the style sheet. Might that be it? Should I check something else?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 02:11 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Could be various things. Stylesheet seems the most probable culprit, but it could also be some tag in your XHTML that is causing havoc. Can you post the code for that specific paragraph?
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
It is a fault in the KePub reader, which doesn't handle the page break properly at narrow line spacing settings. To avoid it you can increase the line spacing a bit (how much seems to depend on which font is used), or load the book as an ePub instead -- the ePub reader doesn't suffer this problem.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
It is a fault in the KePub reader, which doesn't handle the page break properly at narrow line spacing settings. To avoid it you can increase the line spacing a bit (how much seems to depend on which font is used), or load the book as an ePub instead -- the ePub reader doesn't suffer this problem.
Yeah, yesterday I nearly dropped my Aura and caught it by grabbing the screen. Since Pinch To Zoom was enabled, my font settings went loco. This was coincidentally as I started a new book.

I loaded up my last book and a cursory glance showed it didn't *seem* to be doing it, which is why I suspected it was this particular book. But I did readjust line spacing after I posted last night and that seemed to help (this was midnight, so I wasn't too thorough).

I'll read the book through the day. If the problem persists, when I get home and have access to the ePub and Sigil, I'll post some of the code along with the stylesheet, to see if there are some obvious coding errors.

At least I finally disabled Pinch To Zoom, a feature I'm unlikely to ever use. For the way I use my device, it can only have bad results.

To Toxaris: Every paragraph is doing this. Not just one or two.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-08-2016 at 09:49 AM.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:22 AM   #5
dgatwood
Curmudgeon
dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dgatwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, Nook Simple Touch
I also reported a bug to Kobo (at least I think it was Kobo) where content was shown on the next page if you reduced certain margins below the default. (I forget if it was the margin on body, html, or @page.) So if it isn't the line height, perhaps they never fixed that bug.
dgatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #6
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I have an ePub (converted from an Amazon MOBI) that is displaying weird on my Kobo (where it's been converted to Kepub). I'm not sure if I should be posting this in the ePub or Kobo section.

Anyway, I have a book and at the page breaks, the tops of the serif fonts on the next page are displaying at the bottom of the current page. See below screenshots:
Is this still a problem if you turn off full-screen mode in the patch?
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote