Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 02-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #1
basshead
basshead began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
Problem Reading In-Built Storage

Hope someone can help with this. When connected via USB to my PC, Windows XP says "disk is not formatted" if I try to explore the built-in storage of my V3. If I attempt to format it with Windows Disk Management, the drive reads as only being 9MB in size - Partition "Healthy". The SD card is fine. Have tried reinstalling firmware (BeBook Jan 09) to no avail. Internal memory is accessible in reader but only displays "Recent files" (0 files) directory on bookshelf.

Any assistance in retrieving full internal memory access would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM   #2
ninki
Connoisseur
ninki began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin 6.1, Kindle 3, Kindle Touch, KPW3, KOA3
Well, I have this same problem, so if someone has an Idea it will be most appreciated!
I have write to the Papyre support and Hanlin support and none answer, lovely….!
thanks

ninki
ninki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Shadow
Enthusiast
Shadow began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
have you tried multiple computers? This will rule out problems with the computers you two are using.. Other then this I might consider updating the firmware, but I am not sure if updates do anything to internal memory like formatting it.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #4
roytravis
Enthusiast
roytravis is on a distinguished road

Device: hanlin
When you connect via USB you should see two discs, assuming the SD card is installed. They will be typically labelled G&H depending on your computer.
You should then see the contents for your SD card and the built in storage.
You wil then be sure that you are formatting the right disc.
roytravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:54 AM   #5
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Oh...I thought I'd done something stupid. I think I have the same problem. The books that were included on my EZ Reader disappeared, and I assumed I'd done some dumb thing and accidentally erased them. But all I get when the menu is at "internal storage" is a "recent files" folder with 0 files in it.
I connected the EZ Reader to my computer with the usb cable, and it insists that to use Removable Disk I (the internal storage) that I need to format it. Somehow I don't think that would be a really safe thing to do, so I didn't. But I still have no access to the internal storage - either that or I did somehow erase everything on it.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 AM   #6
basshead
basshead began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin v3
Quote:
Originally Posted by roytravis View Post
When you connect via USB you should see two discs, assuming the SD card is installed. They will be typically labelled G&H depending on your computer.
You should then see the contents for your SD card and the built in storage.
You wil then be sure that you are formatting the right disc.
As outlined in my original post, there is no problem with the SD card. Both drives are visible. My problem occurred exactly how phenomshel describes it, with the error message saying the internal storage drive needs to be formatted. Same on other PCs. Have since updated to latest lBook firmware but problem remains ie internal storage still shows as 9MB capacity. All my books are stored on the SD card so it's not that big a deal, just annoying that I no longer have the full in-built memory capacity.
basshead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:42 AM   #7
ninki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by basshead View Post
As outlined in my original post, there is no problem with the SD card. Both drives are visible. My problem occurred exactly how phenomshel describes it, with the error message saying the internal storage drive needs to be formatted. Same on other PCs. Have since updated to latest lBook firmware but problem remains ie internal storage still shows as 9MB capacity. All my books are stored on the SD card so it's not that big a deal, just annoying that I no longer have the full in-built memory capacity.
DITTO!! All of the above

I formatted with a SD formatter. (SD Memory Card Formatting Software Ver.2.0) This recognize the 450 mb of the built in storage and now the PC reads the disk but I cant see any books I put there with the eReader, its says there its nothing there
Old 04-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninki View Post
DITTO!! All of the above

I formatted with a SD formatter. (SD Memory Card Formatting Software Ver.2.0) This recognize the 450 mb of the built in storage and now the PC reads the disk but I cant see any books I put there with the eReader, its says there its nothing there
You do know a format will erase everything. How are you putting eBooks on there? You need to move them over from your PC. If you make a directory do you see it?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:07 AM   #9
ninki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
You do know a format will erase everything. How are you putting eBooks on there? You need to move them over from your PC. If you make a directory do you see it?

Dale
Nope, the only thing Recent files ….0 files
Connected to the PC you see everything there. This is after I formatted, before it was this disk has no format do you want to format now so and so…and I was still seeing recent Files 0 files on the in built storage. The only thing i change formating its the the PC reads the inbuild disk
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nope, the only thing Recent files ….0 files
Connected to the PC you see everything there. This is after I formatted, before it was this disk has no format do you want to format now so and so…and I was still seeing recent Files 0 files on the in built storage. The only thing i change formating its the the PC reads the inbuild disk
So it looks like the formatting is ok for the PC but not ok for the device. What format did you use? I believe it needs to be FAT16.

Dale
Old 04-01-2009, 01:50 PM   #11
ninki
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
So it looks like the formatting is ok for the PC but not ok for the device. What format did you use? I believe it needs to be FAT16.

Dale
Well, go figure! I formatted in FAT32 in XP and worked <g>
It still blocked and I got to clear the flash again, update, and then format, but now its works, let see for how long now !
thanks
ninki
Old 04-01-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Well, go figure! I formatted in FAT32 in XP and worked <g>
It still blocked and I got to clear the flash again, update, and then format, but now its works, let see for how long now !
thanks
ninki

Good to know. I guess the internal memory is different from an SD card.

Dale
Old 04-02-2009, 12:53 PM   #13
Bookathon
Bookaholic
Bookathon doesn't litterBookathon doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1, 3, Ipad
I have seen this format error and I know exactly what is happening, most likely explanation is that drives are corrupt and here is the explanation.

In windows and mac computers if you attach any usb device which has storage capacity, you can not just remove it but you have to tell your os that you are removing it, so in mac os x you rt click on your drive icon on your desktop and eject from the menu and in windows the same thing, if you dont do it, it will be corrupted over time because you are yanking it out while data is being written.

Unfortunately if you take this drive to another computer it will be corrupted so same problem. Now simple solution is obviously is to format in my opinion and practice due diligence next time.

I am not sure as to what is the drive format as this device has linux os.
Bookathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:48 PM   #14
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
That couldn't be it in my case, though, because I never plugged the EZ Reader in to the usb port until yesterday, when I was checking what basshead and Dale said. I store all my books on the SD Card.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:14 AM   #15
Hazelnut
Hazelnut began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin v3
Hello everyone,
I have just purchased a Hanlin v3 reader. That means just yesterday. I am very new with this type of reader and am panicking because only the second time I tried to add ebooks to my reader, I ended up with this problem you have been talking about. I am unsure what to do and afraid to mess up my reader totally.

Is it alright to format the in built storage? My computer is a windows xp os and I know the reader is Linux os, so will it mess it up? I don't understand these ereaders at all yet, so you can see my problem.

If I do format, will I lose my operating system? I would think so. Is the firmware update the full operating files for the reader? By the way the books that I copied to the in-built storage were only text files and now I cannot access any of them and can only get the recent files menu and no bookshelf or anything.

Can someone please give me step by step instructions to fix this problem, please.

Consider me totally ignorant and very grateful for any help.
Hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote