Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-29-2009, 07:50 AM   #1
irulan
irulan began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505 (broken)
PRS-505 Display Dead?

Last night when I wanted to read, I turned on my Reader and out of nowhere instantly a garbled-looking part of the display appeared on the top right corner. It looks as if the screen is physically broken but it is fine as I have always treated the device like some kind of holy grail. The rest of the display works but of course this makes it unusable to me. See the pictures for more details.

Any suggestions?

I'm going to contact Sony but I don't think they will repair the unit as I bought it in the US and there is still no german model available. Perhaps there is anyone from Sony (or someone else) roaming this forum who could help me with this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	22219   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo2.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	22220  

Last edited by irulan; 01-29-2009 at 07:53 AM.
irulan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by irulan View Post
Any suggestions?

I'm going to contact Sony but I don't think they will repair the unit as I bought it in the US and there is still no german model available. Perhaps there is anyone from Sony (or someone else) roaming this forum who could help me with this?
Sorry to hear that your reader got damaged.
Yes, looks like a broken screen. Even if i faced a similiar problem some months ago i can only recommend you to send an email to sonys online support or (better) call sonys hotline in US.

Please take a look at these threads:
Good luck.

Michael

Last edited by netseeker; 01-29-2009 at 08:29 AM.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
irulan

Thanks for the reply. Yay, so it looks like I have to buy a new one. Happy days.

Maybe I can do something when the reader gets introduced in Germany sometime this year. Until then I'm waiting for a reply from Sony on what to do.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Good luck!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 AM   #5
irulan

Well, so far Sony does seem to claim that the PRS-505 is not available in Germany and thus they cannot repair it. Interestingly just yesterday it was (very quitely I must say) announced, that the device will be introduced in Germany on March, 11th. Maybe I'll just have to wait until then although it's hard to imagine that Sony is not technically prepared for a device to be introduced in 6 weeks.
Advert
Old 02-03-2009, 04:20 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
That's unquestionably a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid. Probably cheaper to buy a new reader than attempt to get it repaired.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Well, so far Sony does seem to claim that the PRS-505 is not available in Germany and thus they cannot repair it.
Wow. I don't understand why different customers are getting different answers by sonys support division.

In my case the answer by sony was more helpful (even if buying a new reader was cheaper than repair and shipment):

Quote:
Michael,

If the issue persists, service will be required. As Sony in each country is fully responsible for the design, manufacture, sales and customer support of their own units, the Reader should be send to our service center in the U.S. for the repair. If you wish to have the unit serviced, please ship your unit to:

Laredo Repair Center
10227 Crossroads Loop
Suite# C
Laredo, TX 78045

Please package your product in the original box (if available) or a box of similar size and strength. We suggest you add bubble pack or heavily tape the original foam shell around the unit before inserting it into the box (avoid using plastic peanuts as they shift during transit). We also recommend that you choose a carrier that will allow you to track your unit to the service center and offers insurance. Sony is not liable for inbound shipping damages. Be sure to retain a copy of your shipping and insurance paperwork.

Please include the following information with your shipment:

Your name
A current email address
Contact phone number
Domestic return shipping address - *1
Note detailing all errors and symptoms
List of included parts and accessories

*1 - We strongly recommend you provide a physical U.S. street
address for UPS or FedEx delivery. If you have a relative,
friend or business associate here we strongly suggest you
use theirs. Then after they have received your unit, they can
forward it to your current location at their expense using any
carrier of your choice. Although Sony will ship your item to
any address your request, if you insist on a non-U.S. address
(or a PO/APO/FPO box), we will only ship the unit via U.S. mail.
U.S. mail deliveries will be shipped without any insurance or
tracking data purchased by Sony. In these instances you must
agree in writing to also release Sony from all liability for the
safe return of your item or we will refuse to ship the item.
You should also be aware that Sony will NOT pay for any
required import taxes, tariffs or other fees levied by your country.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:57 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Wow. I don't understand why different customers are getting different answers by sonys support division.
Perhaps the previous poster contacted Sony in Germany - they won't repair a Reader, since it's not officially sold yet in Germany. Sony in the US, however, will do so, although (as you point out) it's probably not economically viable to have it repaired.
Old 02-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #9
irulan

News from the front everybody!

Today a Sony CIC rep finally responded to my persistent inqueries. I was given contact information of a german contractor who is licensed to handle warranty repairs of Sony devices originally purchased in the US.

Here's the info:

Quote:
AVR Audio & Video Reparaturservice Michael Wedemann
Philipp-Reis-Str. 7
35440 Linden
Telefon: 06403-92240
I called them, explained the situation and boom: as long as I provide a proof of purchase that shows the device is still covered by a Sony warranty (standard 12 months), there would be no costs involved save for the shipping.

Well, I immediately took action and prepared a package for them. Now I'm waiting to get back my (hopefully) repaired unit!

Maybe there's still hope for some of the defunct Sony Reader devices out there in Germany.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:35 PM   #10
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
I was given contact information of a german contractor who is licensed to handle warranty repairs of Sony devices originally purchased in the US.
That are good news for all of us german customers who purchased a sony product in the US.

But afaik broken displays are not covered by sonys warranty unfortunately. If sony would repair your damaged unit under terms of warranty...well i would be very surprised then...
Old 02-07-2009, 05:00 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
I called them, explained the situation and boom: as long as I provide a proof of purchase that shows the device is still covered by a Sony warranty (standard 12 months), there would be no costs involved save for the shipping.
I would be amazed if this were to be a warranty repair. Physically broken screens aren't covered by the warranty.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
maus
maus began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi, I'm on the very same case of you. My screen just broke itself, I bought the PRS-505 just 2 weeks ago and has been used 4 times on these few days!

It now has some horizontal and vertical lines and a blurred zone on the upper-right corner which makes the unit unusable.

It's a UK unit and I have been very careful using it. I'm going to get it to the Sony support service and I hope that this problem can be covered by the warranty.

Why do you think that this can't be covered by a warranty repair?

I'm really worried and upset about this problem. Now I have the sensation that these are very fragile devices.
maus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader

Sorry to hear that the screen of your reader is damaged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maus View Post
Why do you think that this can't be covered by a warranty repair?
I don't think that this can't be covered by a warranty repair, i just say usually it isn't covered - at least in the US where i bought my reader.
Sony (and other manufacturers too) usually tells the customers that only drops or too much pressure on the screen can cause a broken substrate. So usually they are saying "It's your fault and not covered by warranty".
...and in most cases they are right.

In some countries "screens" are explicitly excluded from the warranty by Sony but in the EU this is not allowed as far as i know. Ask Sony UK for a warranty repair - maybe you will be in luck...
Old 03-04-2009, 03:06 AM   #14
StevePoling
StevePoling began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-505
Hi guys, i got my SONY PRS-505 just three weeks ago. Now it's boxed up for shipment to Laredo. The SONY website was pretty easy to get to instructions to send away for an exchange. We'll see how this works out. The symptoms was a rectangular region in the upper left hand corner appears "whiter" than the rest of the display, but all the pixels are dead therein except for an odd pattern of lines. Like a set of expanding box outlines. My first instinct was to hard reset the unit. No difference. Several power cycles. No difference. Several page flips. No difference.

Given what I am hearing in this thread, I think I'll recommend the extended warranty henceforth. Anybody hearing similar horror stories of Kindles dying after three weeks of ownership?
StevePoling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
legolas2069
legolas2069 began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
Hi, anyone knows the email to ask sony about a broken reader? My screen has a vertical stripe. I have wrote to waterstones about it (the shop where i bought the reader), and now i want to ask to sony support.

I have no hope about repairing the reader but i´ll try everything

If anyone knows something about what to do, or where to ask... Thanks

PD: Sorry my English
legolas2069 is offline   Reply With Quote