Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 PM   #1
CyberPotato
CyberPotato began at the beginning.

Device: Nook, Samsung Galaxy Note, Asus Nexus 7
Problem setting up shared library on Google Drive

Hi,

I am trying to set up a single library on Google Drive to share among my devices. I began with my Calibre library on my Windows 7 laptop, and moved the library to my Google Drive. I then installed Calibre on my Windows 7 desktop, and changed the default library location to use the existing library on the Google Drive. I was immediately able to view the library structure and all my titles on the desktop, but when I tried to open books, I was informed that no available formats of the titles existed.

The only way I can see to get the new library to see the books is to import them, but then I get two copies of the books in the database. Further, the imported copy of the book doesn't inherit the metadata of the old one, so I have to merge the metadata and then check and edit it afterwards. A lot of work. Has anyone run into this problem? Is there something special I have to do to get two installations to use the same database?

Oh, since someone is likely to ask, I am not running the programs on the two machines at the same time. I only had one computer turned on at a time when I first ran into this, so that is not the problem.

Any help appreciated.
CyberPotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPotato View Post
Hi,

I am trying to set up a single library on Google Drive to share among my devices. I began with my Calibre library on my Windows 7 laptop, and moved the library to my Google Drive. I then installed Calibre on my Windows 7 desktop, and changed the default library location to use the existing library on the Google Drive. I was immediately able to view the library structure and all my titles on the desktop, but when I tried to open books, I was informed that no available formats of the titles existed.

The only way I can see to get the new library to see the books is to import them, but then I get two copies of the books in the database. Further, the imported copy of the book doesn't inherit the metadata of the old one, so I have to merge the metadata and then check and edit it afterwards. A lot of work. Has anyone run into this problem? Is there something special I have to do to get two installations to use the same database?

Oh, since someone is likely to ask, I am not running the programs on the two machines at the same time. I only had one computer turned on at a time when I first ran into this, so that is not the problem.

Any help appreciated.
Google drive mangles Calibre required file names. Not compatible.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
CyberPotato

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Google drive mangles Calibre required file names. Not compatible.
Thanks! I can quit trying to fix it then. Will this work with Skydrive or Dropbox?
Old 02-03-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPotato View Post
Will this work with Skydrive or Dropbox?
Yes to Dropbox, I've had my library in Dropbox for multiple years. I believe Skydrive should also work. Google drive is the only one reported as screwing with any file that has a (xx) in the file name.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-03-2013 at 10:00 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Skydrive works. I'm using it for my library
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
CyberPotato

Thanks, all. I'll give one of those a try then.