Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #61
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
I would prefer a flip cover but their black model has white stitches
Again, quite a nice cover, but I don't understand why all these manufacturers persist in using straps when there are perfectly good alternative methods for securing closure - especially straps whose natural position when reading is to obscure the text.

If you absolutely must incorporate a strap, put it on the front cover, so that it's out of the way when the cover is flipped open. Still annoying, but less so.
markino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #62
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Hmm, not really a problem for me. I can bend it backwards. But you're right, a strap on the front cover would be a better solution. Or this wonderful magnetic magic.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #63
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Hmm, not really a problem for me. I can bend it backwards. But you're right, a strap on the front cover would be a better solution. Or this wonderful magnetic magic.
It's a pity you didn't like the 'hole-for-logo' Gecko leather case as this doesn't have a strap and closes very nicely by use of magnets in the corners. For some reason, Gecko seem very keen not to obscure device logos, it is the same on my Gecko for Sony PRST1. I wonder if they make some items for i-devices. I expect it would be sacrilege to cover an Apple logo

My other Gecko case is for a Sony PRS350. That one has its strap attached to the front cover rather than the back
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #64
markino
Connoisseur
markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.markino is that somebody.

Quote:
Or this wonderful magnetic magic.
Well most of the straps are magnetic anyway - might as well go all the way and just use hidden magnets

I suppose with some of these it might be possible to bend the strap up to magnetically attach to the front cover when the front cover is folded back - then the strap would be out of the way and keep the front cover in place at the back. Hard to know whether it would stay put though without trying it...
Old 12-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #65
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
When I first got my KT I didn't have case, so I stuck it in a lightweight padded plastic mailing envelope to carry it. The mailing envelope is just about exactly the right size, and the bubble padding and waterproof plastic exterior provide good protection, so I've never "upgraded" the case. The KT is light and easy to hold with no case when I'm reading, and it doesn't have a mark on it after more than a year of steady use. I put it in the mailing envelope when I throw it in a carrying bag, suitcase or pocket, and it doesn't add any significant bulk or weight. Just a suggestion!
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #66
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Hey FJames - snap!!!

Yep, I carry lots of electronic gadgets in padded clear plastic postal envelopes as well!!! And the best part is that I get them from my local Post Office for a maximum of $2 or $3!!! Wow, unbeatable price and absolute value for money. They last and last and last!!

However I sometimes still use the protective case that the gadget came with and place them in the bubble plastic envelope when I put them in my day pack, because I also carry water and my lunch and fruit etc in the pack. So that way I'm sure that no fluids or sticky stuff will get on my gadgets.

Also excellent for traveling - I put my lap top in a large plastic bubble envelope in the middle of my clothing in my large traveling suitcase, and never had any probs.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 12-02-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #67
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Markino do you use the flip model of case?

It seems kind of bulky to look at, and probably heavyish - but the point is it doesn't have to be held, just placed on the table.

So I was thinking of just holding onto the Glo when it's easiest and using the flip case as required.

I really appreciate all the effort that you've put into your answers - all the photos and how to info ...... thank you!!!!

The Glo is finally due in Aus sometime this week, so I've started to research covers and we don't have a local Amazon here, or some of the other shops mentioned in earlier posts - but Skin Digital (which is Hong Kong based) has free postage, so that makes their products suitable for me.
Old 12-02-2012, 05:09 PM   #68
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Anyone else got any comments on using the flip style case?
Old 12-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #69
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
Anyone else got any comments on using the flip style case?
Although I have 2 of these type of case (for T1 and Mini) it's really for transporting/protecting them as I much prefer reading with no case on them, the Mini in particular because the case adds to its size... I have zip up neoprene cases too but although they would protect from scratches etc. I don't use them very much because I feel I need a hard case to protect the readers in my bag; I'm more concerned about breaking them than scratches because my purses can resemble toolboxes with everything but the kitchen sink in them as I travel to and from work every day
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #70
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
This one works nicely: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o04_s00_i00

It's a combination slip-cover and easel. (The carabiner is weak and useless.)
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #71
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Markino do you use the flip model of case?

It seems kind of bulky to look at, and probably heavyish - but the point is it doesn't have to be held, just placed on the table.
Lynx, hi - yes, currently using the flip case as my main case.

As to bulky / heavy, I suppose it depends on what you're used to. Obviously nothing is going to be as light and carefree as a naked Kobo, but having fallen asleep reading on quite a few occasions with my Touch, only to be woken by the sound of a bouncing e-reader, I'd personally rather have it slightly bulkier and still working.

I'd say this specific case is about the same weight as my other book-style case (see my photos above), and lighter (and significantly less bulky) than my Touch case with the built-in light.

In fact, one of the things I particularly like about this case vs the other two more book-style cases I've used is that when the front cover is flipped over it is completely flat to the back cover - so there is only about 3/8" of cover behind the Glo, and the whole thing including the Glo is only about 7/8" thick. Maybe that sounds bulky to you, I don't know, but it's much slimmer than my Touch case.

And, as you say, it stands up by itself for those can't-be-bothered-to-hold-it moments...
Old 12-03-2012, 05:44 PM   #72
seedyeh
seedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipseseedyeh can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post
Okay, magnetising on primary case is now completed.

First, these are the magnets - the smaller ones I bought from Ebay UK

The first thing I did was stick them together, then mark them down two sides with a marker pen. This was my way of indicating which way around their magnetic poles were. This doesn't matter for the on/off magnet that goes over the lower right corner of the screen, but it does matter for the bits of the case I wanted to stick together - otherwise you will never be able to close your case. Obviously, this would be particularly bad for Sherlock Holmes books.

Until it looked like this (with the glue still a little wet):

Once these two magnets were in, I just closed the case and then stuck the other two opposing magnets where they were supposed to go, using the magnetism of the first two to hold them in place while I marked around them, then did exactly the same thing as here to insert them.

My advice for the on/off magnet is to find the perfect spot by just holding it to the outside of the front cover, then use selotape to stick it to the inside to check it works opening and closing (and doesn't switch the Glo off again when you fold the front cover around to the back), before marking / cutting / inserting etc. I actually broke a couple of my smaller magnets by allowing them to jump back together (they are only 1mm thick, and brittle, so watch out for that), so I used a broken off half as my on/off magnet (as this is better if it's only just strong enough).

(NB If you have a book-style case (rather than my notebook / vertical style), it may be more likely that your magnet will operate the on/off switch when you fold the front cover flat to the back. My previous experimentation with this (which I don't need for this type of cover) suggests that: if you use a small bar magnet like the ones I have used here, but stick it to a small, thin piece of steel (even less than a mm thick) which is about 3mm larger than the magnet all around, then the steel should soak up the magnetic field on the back side to prevent it from switching the Glo off when you are reading.)

Anyway, this case now switches on and off magnetically as it is opened and closed, stays closed magnetically, stays folded back magnetically (front cover folded flat to back cover), and the tilting back section for the stand stays flat to the back of the Glo unless it's pulled out. 12 magnets altogether (I think).

Video of it in operation here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9O2Y...ature=youtu.be

Can't get this video to embed in the page for some reason...
This looks amazing! thank you for sharing.

Just a question, is there any hazard putting magnets that close the the e-reader?

Would the internal components or screen be affected?

Also can someone explain how the magnet auto sleeps the kobo glo?

thank you
seedyeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:15 AM   #73
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedyeh View Post
Just a question, is there any hazard putting magnets that close the the e-reader?

Would the internal components or screen be affected?

Also can someone explain how the magnet auto sleeps the kobo glo?
I don't think anything internal would be affected, certainly not for the on/off magnet - the Kobo is obviously designed to use a mechanism such as this (as long as you don't use a giant / over-powered magnet, of course). The same logic would seem to apply to the screen.

This magnet is comparatively far from the the memory card slot too (although I'm not sure about the internal memory card), but as far as I know magnetism does not affect the kind of flash memory in memory cards anyway.

I certainly haven't experienced any issues with the Glo in this case (and presumably this is an extreme example with so many magnets involved), or with my Touch in a case which closed using a few magnets on the right-hand side.

As to how the magnetic sensor works - no idea! Could be something like a tiny reed switch, or perhaps an electronic sensor. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 AM   #74
markino
Connoisseur

Quote:
It seems kind of bulky to look at, and probably heavyish...
Lynx - further info on weight:

My Glo weighs about 170 grams, and the case (with the magnets) weighs 90 grams, so a total of around 260 grams.

Not sure what the case weighed before magnetisation...
Old 12-04-2012, 10:37 AM   #75
feenix1363
Lost and clueless
feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.feenix1363 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Glo, Kindle for Andriod, Kobo for Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by markino View Post

As to how the magnetic sensor works - no idea! Could be something like a tiny reed switch, or perhaps an electronic sensor. If anyone knows, I'd be interested to hear...
Just found THIS site showing a teardown of the Kobo Glo (originally Italian), theres no reed in it but there is pictured a small black component. Possibly an SMD version of the rather old fashioned reed switch? Maybe THIS one?
feenix1363 is offline   Reply With Quote