Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Same old. Same old. Limited onboard storage. No removable storage.

Pretty much the same old. Same old. Limited on-board storage. No removable storage.

I think that the old, "very old it seems to me," problem of limited on-board storage and no removable storage is still thwarting the use of eReaders as all purpose devices, at least straight out of the box, so to say.

Sure there are workarounds, but the better choice is to buy from a regular tablet maker that isn't trying to sell a commercial cloud in the sky that you must have internet available to reach.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Why should an ereader have to be an "all-purpose" device? I like having a single purpose device that does nothing but put text on an easily readable screen.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 07:44 PM   #3
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Assuming you are talking about the Fire(s), I agree with you to a point. For a power user, the limited onboard storage isn't going to cut it. My current tablet is a Toshiba Excite, which has a full sized SD slot and USB host capability, which means storage is basically unlimited.

For certain users, though, who want a simple interface and don't see the need to carry around 30 movies or 1000 songs? These are probably good enough and at the right price.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Why should an ereader have to be an "all-purpose" device? I like having a single purpose device that does nothing but put text on an easily readable screen.
All purpose in the sense being discussed doesn't mean the device has to be able to drill fence post holes in the ground.

It does mean that your eReader can have access to your books no matter where you are, without cell phone service or wifi service. It means that you can store your library in easily accessible form on the device or in your pocket and peruse it whether on top of a mountain, in the middle of a desert or if the power goes out in a hurricane or storm.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #5
rkw
Old & Busted Hotness
rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0,Asus TF700T, K1-2-3-Fire
Don't forget the never mentioned requirement for content from Amazon on your KF devices that you connect to the we at least every 30-days or most of your content and ever apps will stop working until you do allow the DRM to refresh itself.

This NEVER happens to any content or software on my other Android devices. Heck, I don't think it even happens on iOS devices.

This one caught me with my pants-down on a trip where I knew I was going to be out of town and contact so I began setting my KF up with content over a month prior then just let it be other than charging only to find pretty much nothing worked save a few apps I bought from Google Play and side-loaded to the KF.
rkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #6
Pinkie
Connoisseur
Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinkie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Nook Color, Kobo
not enough

I have a Nexus 7. Nothing I saw today would persuade me to trade it in for a Fire. The new Fire is cheaper, but it has a crippled Android system, and the specs of the Nexus are better than the Fire, except for the storage. I've solved the storage problem on the Nexus by adding an On The Go cable and a 32gb flash drive, but I haven't needed more than 16gb so far.
I've been moving away from eink readers towards tablets recently, and I'm thinking of selling my keyboard. When I got it, I loved it, but I like my Nook Touch better (smaller, sturdier, expandable storage), and I only use that on long journeys and in the bath (The Nook Touch also has physical page turn buttons).
Pinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkw View Post
Don't forget the never mentioned requirement for content from Amazon on your KF devices that you connect to the we at least every 30-days or most of your content and ever apps will stop working until you do allow the DRM to refresh itself.
This is why I stopped thinking about getting a Kindle and decided to start shopping for an Android tablet instead. I can just download the Kindle app and use that to make sure my ebooks are formatted properly.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Pretty much the same old. Same old. Limited on-board storage. No removable storage.

I think that the old, "very old it seems to me," problem of limited on-board storage and no removable storage is still thwarting the use of eReaders as all purpose devices, at least straight out of the box, so to say.
Eh. Amazon's got that ecosystem they want to lock you into. Doesn't excuse the Kobo Arc's lack of removable storage, though - they don't *have* an ecosystem to lock people into, just books. (and, yes, the lack of a microSD slot tosses both into the Never Buy Under Any Circumstances pile for me. Even if I just used either as an ereader, that lack still hurts as keeping my sideloaded library on a card is far more convenient and with no risk of loss if I have to factory reset - had to factory reset my Kobo Touch far too many times to ever trust internal-only storage)

Last edited by JD Gumby; 09-06-2012 at 10:11 PM.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Apparently, mobile devices obey the anti-Moore's Law.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:16 PM   #10
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Yes! I added email on my fire, and I have to figure out how to take it off. Can't stand the constant emails!
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:26 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

It does mean that your eReader can have access to your books no matter where you are, without cell phone service or wifi service. It means that you can store your library in easily accessible form on the device or in your pocket and peruse it whether on top of a mountain, in the middle of a desert or if the power goes out in a hurricane or storm.

Seriously? C'mon. You can stuff a good 1,000 tomes on 2GB. For most of us, that is at least ten years worth of reading. If you're climbing Everest, you can load it up before you get to base camp.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:53 AM   #12
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Do we have confirmation yet that the new Kindle Fire (any model) doesn't have USB host mode? If it's got USB host mode, that solves your problem right there.

AFAIK, it's based on Jelly Bean, so it should have host mode.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:59 AM   #13
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
In what way does removable storage turn a reader into a multipurpose device?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not "News". Moved to "General Discussions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:32 AM   #15
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhartman36 View Post
AFAIK, it's based on Jelly Bean, so it should have host mode.
That's incorrect, it's based on ICS.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote