Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #1
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Standard Book Genre

I get increasing frustrated with the tags assigned to books by publishers, I have more tags in calibre than books. As a result I have followed the guidelines and defined within Calibre a custom field to hold a genre for each book. Before setting up my own Genre this raises one question.

Is there any common standard out there for book genre?

If not does anyone have a good starter set they could share?
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Yes there is. The kind libraries use. I think the English name is Hewey Decimal System, but I could be wrong. Just use the top of level and you have an easy to understand genre categorization for your books.

Hmm, wouldn't it be great if there was a plug-in in Calibre for that? :scratchchin:
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 02:58 AM   #3
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
It's called the Dewey Decimal system. Here's the Wikipedia listing of all the categories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ecimal_classes
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:09 AM   #4
rjmac
Connoisseur
rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
The Hewey Decimal System and the American Library of Congress Classification (LCC) are very comprehensive for non-fiction books but neither covers fiction. The majority of books I have are fiction.
rjmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 03:37 AM   #5
pisceschick
Addict
pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pisceschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Classic Nook, Kindle Keyboard, Nexus 7
Perhaps Amazon's (or your favorite book store) classification system might be a good place to start?

I, too, dislike the tags that come with my books. General? Really? So helpful!
pisceschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2012, 04:00 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, I knew it was one of Donald's nephews.
Yes, I know spelling is different, but pronunciation is the same, right?
Old 08-19-2012, 04:52 AM   #7
rakulos
Connoisseur
rakulos began at the beginning.

Device: ipad, K3, acer aspire switch 10
From my list;
2 Fiction
2.1 Action
2.2 Westerns
2.3 Children
2.4 Fantasy
2.5 Historical Fiction
2.6 Horror
2.7 Humor
2.8 Mystery and Crime
2.9 Other fiction
2.10 Romance
2.11 Science Fiction
2.12 Short Fiction
2.13 Young Adult

Keep meaning to do a more definitive list, but the problem with defining lists is its an infinite black hole of time suckage :/

For instance, does erotic fiction come under romance or does it need its own category and without that do you want straight/gay/BDSM etc etc. Urban fantasy is currently a 'thing' so again, do we have a new category or use fantasy-mystery & crime-horror tags?

Another tag I've seen used occasionally is 'womens fiction' - I allways thought it as devisive as a 'men's fiction' tag but thats just my opinion so may be valid for a lot of people.

Bottom line, I try to keep a simple fiction list as I tend to prevaricate if I think about it too much

Edit: forgot to add military fiction as a tag - I don't use it for myself as I don't like the genre but I guess it should be on the list.

Last edited by rakulos; 08-19-2012 at 04:54 AM.
rakulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Hewey, Dewey, Lewey, I knew it was one of Donald's nephews.
Yes, I know spelling is different, but pronunciation is the same, right?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

It's a twisted brain that resort to Disney characters as a mnmonic device.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #10
Jozawun
Fanatic
Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jozawun ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen 3, Pocketbook 902, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
It's a twisted brain that resort to Disney characters as a mnmonic device.
One glance at my Mickey Mouse watch and I remember everything.
Jozawun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
taustin
Wizard
taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taustin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
The genres publishers use are marketing categories, and seem to have no real connection to subjet matter. In short, it's a recommendation to retailers on how to shelve books, based on what stuff people will buy if they see it next to something else they want to buy. That's why science fiction and fantasy get shelved together - the book stores feel there's a lot of crossover in the markets.

The only categories you'll find are consistent are your own, and generally, those will be limited to "stuff I like," "stuff I don't like," and "stuff I'd like to use to start a fire."
taustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM   #12
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
My genre tags are pretty idiosyncratic. I'll give a series all the same tag, because I'm more likely to be looking for an In Death book than I am Mystery with Female Detective. Since I use my genre tags to create my kindle collections, I use tags that will help me find which collection something is in.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:15 PM   #13
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Mobipocket uses this set:

Action & Adventure
Architecture & Design
Art
Asian Interest
Biographies
Bioscience & Clinical Medicine
Business, Finance
Calculators
Cartoons
Classics
Computing, Internet
Cooking
Current Events
Dictionaries
Economics
Education
Encyclopedias
Entertainment
Erotica
Family
Fantasy
Gay & Lesbian
Gender Studies
General Fiction
Geography
Health
Historical Fiction
History
Horror
House & Home
Humor
Humor Political
Juvenile Fiction
Language & Linguistics
Law
Literary Criticism & Collections
Mathematics
Media & Communication
Medical
Movies & TV Series
Music & Songs
Mystery & Crime
Nature
Novels
Performing Arts
Personal Finance
Pets
Philosophy
Poetry
Politics
Psychology
Quizzes
Reference
Religious Fiction
Restaurant Guides
Romance
Science & Technical
Science Fiction
Self-Improvement
Short Stories
Sociology
Spiritual & Religion
Sports & Outdoors
Study Aids
Suspense & Thrillers
Tales & Fables
Technological Fiction
Technology
Theatre
Travel
True Crime
Undefined

Some people distinguish Detective from Mystery.

There's Biographies but not Memoirs.

Publishers will separate Contemporary Fiction and Literary Fiction.

Note that here Juvenile Fiction is used as an umbrella term with no distinction for Young Adult and younger children.

Suspense & Thrillers and Technological Fiction are separate terms so Technothrillers could fit in either.

You could go on and on. So it's a good start, but you'd have to adjust this for your own needs.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I usually go with "Read" and "Unread."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
morriss003
Evangelist
morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.morriss003 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
How would you tag a JD Robb (Nora Roberts) "in Death" novel? It's set in the future, the heroine is a female detective who solves murders, and she's in love with (of all people!) her husband.
morriss003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genre