Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-24-2014, 09:58 AM   #1
zoomiest
zoomiest began at the beginning.

Device: Pixel 3a
Order of Operations: Calibre E-book Editor

I have had mixed results with Calibre's E-book Editor. I can read and write HTML so I can follow the tags, etc.

But, after I make edits to a converted book, do I just Save-to-Disk, or should I re-Convert it? (am I writing over my edits?)

I have been working with my mother, to convert her newly published family history book, on our ancestors, into an E-book - so much more accessible for everyone.

But, I have found that the only reliable way to preserve corrections is edit the source (MS Word document), and re- convert it.

What are other people finding?
zoomiest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomiest View Post
I have had mixed results with Calibre's E-book Editor. I can read and write HTML so I can follow the tags, etc.

But, after I make edits to a converted book, do I just Save-to-Disk, or should I re-Convert it? (am I writing over my edits?)

I have been working with my mother, to convert her newly published family history book, on our ancestors, into an E-book - so much more accessible for everyone.

But, I have found that the only reliable way to preserve corrections is edit the source (MS Word document), and re- convert it.

What are other people finding?
The edited book IS the book within the Library.

If that is the format you need, treat it like any other book you want to read on your device.

Only convert to a different format ( delete the original_* format once you are satisfied your edits are good as that will be used if you accidentally convert again, stomping on your good edits. it exists in case things go wrong.)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I do all substantive and copy editing in Word, and convert from DOCX to EPUB.

I use the epub editors (the one in calibre and Sigil) to do any necessary markup related editing - which is not often needed. I use the various checking tools they provide, scan the word list and Sigil Reports for any glaring anomalies, and do quick looksee's in ADE and calibre viewer.

The 'books' I'm referring to are not commercial books, they are official papers, think tank reports, media transcripts, learned journal articles, dissertations - typically 10-60K words.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrections, e-book editor