Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-11-2011, 10:15 AM   #31
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
So who wants to do the work in parsing this for us?

How does this list compare to the traditional hardcover and paperback lists?
What is the price distribution?
What is the publisher distribution?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #32
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
So who wants to do the work in parsing this for us?
Not me.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #33
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Here are the links to the best sellers lists
E-Book Fiction
E-Book Nonfiction
Thanks for that! I checked out the listings and the description below about their sources.

"E-book rankings reflect sales from leading online vendors of e-books in a variety of popular e-reader formats. ... Titles are included regardless of whether they are published in both print and electronic formats or just one format. E-books available exclusively from a single vendor will be tracked at a future date."

"Among the categories not actively tracked at this time are: perennial sellers, required classroom reading, textbooks, reference and test preparation guides, journals, workbooks, calorie counters, shopping guides, comics, crossword puzzles and self-published books."

There goes the chance for accurate popularity rankings of ebook sales. It doesn't matter if Amanda Hocking sells 15,000 ebooks in a week; they won't be showing up here.

I wonder how big a publisher has to be to qualify?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #34
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
and another one:

How does this compare with Amazon's Kindle bestseller list?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM   #35
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I must be a truly non-mainstream reader!

I read Eat, Pray, Love and I have The Weird Sisters and At Home on my TBR pile, but have no interest in any other titles listed.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2011, 02:15 PM   #36
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Things I've noticed (haven't gotten to detailed comparisons yet):

Print book listings come with a "click here to buy" button with three stores listed. Ebooks and the combined listings don't, and they don't list prices.

Ebook Bestseller #10, Cross Fire by James Patterson, is the first that isn't also a pbook bestseller of some sort. The others that aren't paper sellers are Secrets to the Grave (#14, Tami Hoag), Hell's Corner (#17, David Baldacci), Archangel's Consort (#19, Nalini Singh), Safe Haven (#23, Nicholas Sparks) and Damage (#25, John Lescroart)

2 of the 3 Steig Larsson books are bestsellers in Trade and MM PB. (The other is apparently only available in hardcover yet.)

I don't have time right now to wade through the hardcover/trade/mmpb books that didn't make the ebook list, to find out if they don't have ebook version available, but that'd be worth checking out.

I also didn't sort out publishers and try to figure out agency vs non-agency rankings.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 1st NYTimes Ebook Bestsellers.zip (6.7 KB, 201 views)

Last edited by Elfwreck; 02-11-2011 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Add attachment; xls file in zip.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:36 PM   #37
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
I always thought that one of the reasons publishers do free ebook promotions is to boost their numbers. If it's the publishers that submit the numbers to NYT then free books would be influencing the list.

Free ebooks are on Amazon's best seller list for sure. You can watch it flucuate the day after a book is released as a freebie. Recent promos always make up some of the top 10 titles.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:47 PM   #38
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Sorry, duplicate post.

Last edited by wvcherrybomb; 02-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I always thought that one of the reasons publishers do free ebook promotions is to boost their numbers. If it's the publishers that submit the numbers to NYT then free books would be influencing the list.

Free ebooks are on Amazon's best seller list for sure. You can watch it flucuate the day after a book is released as a freebie. Recent promos always make up some of the top 10 titles.
My understanding is that the NYT list is based on sales at various outlets across the country. Freebies wouldn't count. They keep their process secret, reportedly to avoid manipulation and such. There's been at least one widely reported successful effort to manipulate it. Dunno the specifics of the NYT e-book list, but I'd guess that they wouldn't count freebies, either.

Agreed on the problem with the Amazon list and freebies.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 PM   #40
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I always thought that one of the reasons publishers do free ebook promotions is to boost their numbers.
It is. I don't believe free books are included in the NY Times list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb
Free ebooks are on Amazon's best seller list for sure.
They now have separate "top paid" and "top free" lists.

Amazon also compiles its list much more frequently (not sure how often, but at least once every 24 hours). NYT is once a week, and is probably behind by about a week. They were discussing which titles were in the list last week, for example.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #41
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
Amazon also compiles its list much more frequently (not sure how often, but at least once every 24 hours). NYT is once a week, and is probably behind by about a week. They were discussing which titles were in the list last week, for example.
Kali, I've wondered about the time range of the Amazon best seller lists. Is it a week?

I understand that it is frequently updated, but I don't understand the definition of the lists. Is it the best selling books of the past seven days?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:30 PM   #42
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

They publish a new list every week, so I'm guessing that's the time period.

But it may be 1-2 weeks behind actual sales, that part I'm not sure on. The only clue is they were leaking some of the list almost a week in advance... as this very thread indicates.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:39 PM   #43
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
But it may be 1-2 weeks behind actual sales, that part I'm not sure on. The only clue is they were leaking some of the list almost a week in advance... as this very thread indicates.
That surprises me, that there is a delay. I thought the whole idea was up-to-the-minute computer-generated statistics.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:46 PM   #44
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian

I happened to check the list tonight, and I noticed that #16 on the list is Not What She Seems, a CreateSpace title (Amazon's self-publishing wing) for $0.99.

So, at least one self-published author hit the list with a low-priced ebook. A lot of other services might not yet make the grade, but it is possible we'll see titles from other services at some point.

Tags
bestsellers, jake lassiter, new york times, paul levine