Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Miggwilson
Miggwilson began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Cover Image - Can't Get It To Show On Reader?

I updated the metadata file with a new cover image in Calibre. Looks good but when I sync...The old picture is still there.

I tried doing an EPUB to EPUB conversion picking up the new cover image. It worked on a few, but others it did not.

The picture seems to show when you go into the book on the e-reader but not on the display which shows all your books? I thought the image would transfer unless its too big a file or something?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!
Miggwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
I have the same issue as well on my 650 with epubs from Kobo.

Someone mentioned that it may be a licensing "thing" in so far as the ebook does not have rights to the cover, so we get a generic one.

However, even after updating calibre with a new image, I still have the same issue as well.

So...bumping the thread and hoping for clarification and guidance
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneR View Post
I have the same issue as well on my 650 with epubs from Kobo.

Someone mentioned that it may be a licensing "thing" in so far as the ebook does not have rights to the cover, so we get a generic one.

However, even after updating calibre with a new image, I still have the same issue as well.
In order for the cover to be embedded in the book you must convert the book, ePub to ePub will do. But if your book is restricted by DRM Calibre will look pretty displaying your cover of choice but you won't be able to do the conversion and the cover will not be added to the book.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:18 PM   #4
ShaneR
Enthusiast
ShaneR began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650; PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
In order for the cover to be embedded in the book you must convert the book, ePub to ePub will do. But if your book is restricted by DRM Calibre will look pretty displaying your cover of choice but you won't be able to do the conversion and the cover will not be added to the book.
Ahhh. So it is a DRM issue. That's what I needed.

I'm new to ebooks, so I've a lot to learn.

Thanks
ShaneR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 12:20 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Do you mean that the cover on page 1 of the EPUB is OK but the thumbnail image doesn't match it?

If so, you could try one of the following. It really depends how comfortable/confident you are manually messing with the files on your PRS650. Plan A for tinkerers, Plan B for the more cautious.

I think the thumbnail image is extracted from the EPUB the first time the PRS650 sees it. If you then overwrite the EPUB with a file of the same name, but with a different cover image inside, I don't think the PRS650 knows it needs to recreate the thumbnail.

Plan A: non-DRM books only
You can force it to recreate the thumbnail by manually deleting the existing one.
  • If you connect the PRS650 to your PC, you can find the thumbnails for your books in:
    Code:
    [Drive letter:]\database\thumbnail\database\media\books\...
    the rest of the path depends on how you named the EPUB when you saved it on the PRS650. Somewhere under the above directory structure you will find a directory called
    Code:
    your_book_name_here.epub
    containing one file (the current thumbnail) called main_thumbnail.jpg
  • If you manually delete the old thumbnail from the reader's memory, then safely disconnect from the PC, the thumbnail should get recreated from the EPUB.

I just tried an experiment where I manually deleted the thumbnails for all my books (there's only 20 at present). After I disconnected, the PRS650 recreated all the thumbnails. It would be a slow business if you had a lot of books so I wouldn't really recommend it as standard practice.

On the other hand, if you don't want to do any of this manual manipulation you could do the following for books with the "wrong" thumbnail:

Plan B: non-DRM books only
  • With the reader switched on and not connected to the PC, delete the offending books. This should remove the old thumbnail at the same time.
  • Connect the reader to Calibre and resend the books.
  • Disconnect the reader. The new books will have their thumbnails recreated.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-27-2010 at 12:27 PM. Reason: will only work for non-DRM books
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2010, 05:37 PM   #6
digital_steve
Muppet
digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.digital_steve has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650
I have this exact problem, but with only 4 books (DRM stripped).
No conversion or anything can get the cover to go on the 650.
Very strange... i might have to try Sigil.
digital_steve is offline   Reply With Quote