Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 04-27-2007, 07:47 AM   #16
Ivan
Connoisseur
Ivan began at the beginning.

I am trying to update my patch v2.9.1 to 2.9.5. I have fully charged my battery and back up files before updating 2.9.5. However, connecting to the server message, a message of “Download complete" is shown in few seconds. I checked and it is till in 2.9.1 version. I tried to restart and repeat the upgrade for 3-4 more times. Same problems to be appeared again.

Please let me know what should I do?

Best, IC with frustration
Ivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #17
donkaarlos
Junior Iliad User
donkaarlos began at the beginning.

Device: Irex Iliad GONE - kindle & Kyobo
Update holds after unpacking upgrade 100%

I have a problem with the update as well. Download goes fine. Unpacking runs up to 100% and then it jumps to download complete and shows download history (only old content). Running still on v 2.9.1..

Have tried several times including resetting and restarting my iliad.

Any hints or advice?
donkaarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-27-2007, 01:57 PM   #18
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

Device: RM Tablet PC, iLiad, PRS 505, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR
I don't think you need to worry about screen-burning...but the rate of failure with the update is alarming!
Did you have memory cards inserted? Maybe that's the problem with the failed updates?
I made sure to remove memory cards. What I find very funny is the position it actually failed. I would think if it is not able to copy the data to RAM it would perhaps inform about it and allow me to do something about it. If it would have been failed after the formatting - this i would understand, since once you have formatted the flash drive it is totally empty and everything is stored in the RAM. So if it freezes at that stage and you reset - everything is lost.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #19
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I don't use memory cards (I have a 16Mb SD card that came with my camera), I prefer the internal memory for better battery times, had no shell hack, no nothing... download seemed to go fine, but then it stuck.

Thankfully, the screen has gone a lot darker since then, so I'm not so worried about burn-in, but I after the email yesterday from support, I've heard nothing from them today, so I'm still waiting to see what's next.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:39 PM   #20
Mambo
Gadget fan
Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.Mambo can teach chickens to fly.

I always had problems deleting files from the internal flash drive. Windows can easily make the FAT system corrupt and which results that either copying data or formatting (in a basic method) is not possible. I think this happened in my case.

So I am not wondering that it stuck at this step, however there should have been a system-test before the update which tests the resources (ram memory, read-write to the flash drive, file settings and system) whether the update is possible or not.

Ela: I think you'd better chase them with emails, my experience in my own workplace that if you wait for somebody to come back to you then it will never happen. And they are quite resourceful in figuring out hundreds of reasons why they could not get back to you before and how they were in the middle of almost answering your email, etc.
Advert
Old 04-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #21
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Their upgrade does indeed test a few things before anything irreversible occurs.

The iDS sends your iLiad the file in a compressed format which is protected with a CRC32 code. They uncompress the file and the CRC32 code is checked to ensure it unpacked correctly.

They are also using a Flash memory device in the iLiad that fault checks the Flash as it writes to it and will "on the fly" swap bad writes to another chunk of Flash if the write failed (and mark the failed part as bad so it won't re-use it.)

That said, iRex has had continuous problems with finding and mounting file systems reliably on the iLiad. If after blanking the Flash the iLiad were incapable of re-discovering the memory device so it can communicate with it? The iLiad will be a boat anchor.

I also caution everyone to get it in writing and keep copies of it if iRex says they'll pay for the shipping to return your device for repair.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:07 AM   #22
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Mambo: thanks for the advice, I actually handle IT purchases for our company, so I am well used to chasing suppliers for quotes, packages, invoices and also warranties... lol, I can get pretty stroppy with them.

I'm thinking you may be right about the corrupt file system, just before upgrading I not only backed up my files, but deleted some of them (why not all of them? dunno). Since they're going to be deleted anyway, it might have been a good idea to clean it up beforehand, formatting and all.
Old 05-03-2007, 12:27 PM   #23
Ivan
Connoisseur

I am trying to update my patch v2.9.1 to 2.9.5. I have fully charged my battery and back up files before updating 2.9.5. However, connecting to the server message, a message of “Download complete" is shown in few seconds. I checked and it is till in 2.9.1 version. I tried to restart and repeat the upgrade for 3-4 more times. Same problems to be appeared again. Now, Irex confirmed that my iliad has to be sent in for repair! My first thought was "Are you kidding me" I am trying to double check with Irex. My iLiad is only not able to upgrade into 2.9.5. It is working like a charm at the moment using 2.9.1. Not even mention the headache for a normal user to send it back. The scary things is that their statement of “in case of a repair out of guarantee, you will be invoiced for the costs of repair and transport.”
Any of us know what the hXXX's going on?
All the best, IC
Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM   #24
Mambo
Gadget fan

You better send back while you are eligible, before the guarantee expires.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #25
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

Update: I received confirmation (on Thursday) that I need to send it in for repair, waiting for the return box to arrive.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:22 PM   #26
Ivan
Connoisseur

Update: I will recieive a return box as well!! I will have to do that although I do not want to do so!
Old 05-06-2007, 09:11 PM   #27
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Do we have any idea yet what caused the failure? I'm hesitant to upgrade until we have a better understanding of how this happened....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 02:06 AM   #28
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak

I have no real idea, my iLiad was totally unhacked (didn't have the shell hack either)... my only guess is that there were quite a lot of files on it, since I don't use memory cards, and the file system got corrupted somehow, while it was trying to delete my books and stuff. :S
Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 AM   #29
Ivan
Connoisseur

No idea; mine just an ordinary irex and I just a normal user. I did not do anything on it! Good luck and all the best, IC
Old 05-17-2007, 09:48 AM   #30
Mambo
Gadget fan

The iLiad was today taken from me by UPS. I miss it for almost a month now. I am very said because I was travelling a full week and was very busy also, I could not handle this thing quicker. ((((