Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 PM   #1
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
User manual for new Fire HDX?

ugh. So we are an Apple family, have all the iPads and are familiar with them.

Now, a close friends elderly mother has gotten it into her head she must have the new Kindle Fire HDX, which is fine, different strokes, etc.

However, here is the thing. They have no wifi. She refuses to even consider using it as as tablet, just wants it as a book reader. The regular kindle paperwhites won't do, she likes the 'color pictures'.

So her daughter is buying her one, and I will be in charge of setting it up and loading books onto it, I know how to side load kindle books so thats no problem. As she needs books, I can hook up the Kindle here, and download from Amazon or my own library anything she wants....

But here is my problem. I'm looking for the user manual so I can familiarize myself with it before it gets here. I know it will be on the Kindle itself.

All links I have found list only an 18 page pdf doc, of which page one is in English, and basically tells you how to turn it on. The rest are in different languages.

Is there not a full user manual available online?

Thanks for your help.....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
ugh. So we are an Apple family, have all the iPads and are familiar with them.

Now, a close friends elderly mother has gotten it into her head she must have the new Kindle Fire HDX, which is fine, different strokes, etc.

However, here is the thing. They have no wifi. She refuses to even consider using it as as tablet, just wants it as a book reader. The regular kindle paperwhites won't do, she likes the 'color pictures'.

So her daughter is buying her one, and I will be in charge of setting it up and loading books onto it, I know how to side load kindle books so thats no problem. As she needs books, I can hook up the Kindle here, and download from Amazon or my own library anything she wants....

But here is my problem. I'm looking for the user manual so I can familiarize myself with it before it gets here. I know it will be on the Kindle itself.

All links I have found list only an 18 page pdf doc, of which page one is in English, and basically tells you how to turn it on. The rest are in different languages.

Is there not a full user manual available online?

Thanks for your help.....
Here you go: User Guide

It doesn't look like it has much info though. I guess that is why Amazon put a button on the screen for a hotline to CS!

Last edited by jswinden; 11-03-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Advert
Old 11-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks but thats the same one I referred to in my post.

Having to contact CS when i have a question that could be answered by reading a manual is silly.

Kindles used to come with complete manuals with fairly good directions for all aspects of the unit.....have they seriously discontinued that?
Old 11-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
thanks but thats the same one I referred to in my post.

Having to contact CS when i have a question that could be answered by reading a manual is silly.

Kindles used to come with complete manuals with fairly good directions for all aspects of the unit.....have they seriously discontinued that?
Apparently. Kindles used to arrive in good condition and without issues, but now it is a crap shoot with Paperwhites and Fire HDXes. Amazon is becoming less reliable IMO. They seem to be cutting too many corners.

Last edited by jswinden; 11-03-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:03 AM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I wanted a manual too but there isn't really one. My first Kindle Fire had one pre installed. Don't count too much on Mayday most of the time they only know how to do stuff we all do. When asking them about settings they become confused.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2013, 04:09 AM   #6
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
It has a user manual but can only be accessed on the device itself. You can go to kindle support and find the kindle user guide but its online only.
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Okay, so they seem to have changed the process.

Instead of a stand alone User guide they've gone strictly to the support page, with videos and a menu on the left side...all the info anyone could need...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201303400

Thanks guys for your input......
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
On the HDX Main Page, sweep down \ Help \ User Guide. It is very extensive. I've had ZERO problems with my HDX 2013 and PW 2013.

Last edited by sirmaru; 11-04-2013 at 09:29 AM.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
sweetteapam
sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.sweetteapam is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Kindle HDX 8.9
Awesome to here there is a user guide within the device itself. Nothing worse than trying to track down manuals which should be should a simple thing to include.
sweetteapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetteapam View Post
Awesome to here there is a user guide within the device itself. Nothing worse than trying to track down manuals which should be should a simple thing to include.
true. However, many times when learning something new on a device regardless of what brand, its easier to be able to access the manual on the computer, and follow along on the device.

Huh. And I just found out you cannot read the included manual without activating wireless....something she does NOT want to do.......

At any rate, her books are loaded and we'll see if she will enjoy reading ebooks, or if this is a passing fancy....
Old 11-08-2013, 12:44 AM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
true. However, many times when learning something new on a device regardless of what brand, its easier to be able to access the manual on the computer, and follow along on the device.

Huh. And I just found out you cannot read the included manual without activating wireless....something she does NOT want to do.......

At any rate, her books are loaded and we'll see if she will enjoy reading ebooks, or if this is a passing fancy....
This really isn't a device for non wireless. It has shopping buttons everywhere! The first Kindle Fire was more non internet friendly this one is a walking Amazon store.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
This really isn't a device for non wireless. It has shopping buttons everywhere! The first Kindle Fire was more non internet friendly this one is a walking Amazon store.
From your lips to Gods ear. But try talking to a wall....you'd probably get a better listener....

Its moot.....she wouldn't read it anyway.