Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2013, 10:57 AM   #1
AIberto
AIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Glo
Question How to turn off "intelligent" Title case correction ?

As this is my first post in this Forum a sincere hello to all members

I like Calibre a lot and use the portable version 0.9.16 under Windows 7 but now have the following problem:

When adding metadata to new books calibre tries to "intelligently" correct titles which makes a mess of german titles which are written correctly in the metadata-source!

For example:

Title on amazon.de = Metadate-Source:

Die Vermessung des Universums: Wie die Physik von morgen den letzten Geheimnissen auf der Spur ist

Calibre "corrects" it to

Die Vermessung Des Universums: Wie Die Physik Von Morgen Den Letzten Geheimnissen Auf Der Spur Ist

which is quite wrong...

Does anyone know any way how to turn it off ?

All I found was this Post which unfortunately is completely outdated (I was not able to find the file base.py)

Hopefully someone can help
AIberto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Youd have to re-implement the clean_downloaded_metadata() function for the amazon plugin to do what you prefer. See sources/amazon.py and base calass implementation in sources/base.py
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
AIberto
AIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it isAIberto knows what time it is

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Youd have to re-implement the clean_downloaded_metadata() function for the amazon plugin to do what you prefer. See sources/amazon.py and base calass implementation in sources/base.py
Any chance that there will be a tweak for that (title correction on/off) in the near future?

I am just a user and don't have the expericence in setting up a development environment nor do I know Python.

There's also a new version of Calibre each week which is fine but I don't know how to maintain such changes, especially in a productive portable Version.

As far as I can oversee it many non-English-Users would be grateful for such a tweak
Old 01-28-2013, 10:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I looked at the codeand the amazon plugin only fixes title case if you are using the UK or US amazon store. If you configure the plugin to use the german amazon store for example, title case fixing does not happen.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:34 AM   #5
AIberto

Question

Quote:
I looked at the codeand the amazon plugin only fixes title case if you are using the UK or US amazon store. If you configure the plugin to use the german amazon store for example, title case fixing does not happen.
After some hours of testing here's what I found out so far:

1. Using amazon.de as the only source works , but only if the ISBN relates to a print edition of the book! All ISBNs relating to (german!) Kindle-Editions will be auto(mis)corrected!

Could this be changed, please ?

2. If using more than one Metadata-Source the results seem unpredictable to me, sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Does Calibre takes the first positive result from a source or the last? Is the order the same as in the Config-dialogue? Does cover priority have influence on this ?

I want at least amazon.de and google as my sources but with both selected it works often but not always: Is it possible to change the Google-Plugin in a way that like amazon.de also books.google.de don't get their titles "corrected"?

3. I think I found a bug in the amazon-plugin refering to the retrieval of a book title: If there is an opening bracket in the book title retrieving stops there, for example the title on amazon.de "Beruf(ung) Trader: Schritt für Schritt zum erfolgreichen Börsenhändler" will be retrieved as "Beruf" in Calibre. This is not an urgent matter as those titles are rare but I thought I mention it here.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1. I dont see how that's possible. You're going to have to provide examples.

2. Merging results from multiple sources is complex and has been described in detail elsewhere, you will have to search for it.

In the next calibre release I will change the code to not run title case if the result has a language set and the language is not english. THat should help, but it will only work if google returns langauge metadata with its results.

3. That is deliberate. Lots of amazon titles have junk in parentheses, like [Mass market] or (Kindle edition) in their titles. So calibre will strip anything in parentheses. That means an occasional false positive, but, that is an acceptable price. In fact the very example you quote has the title: Beruf(ung) Trader: Schritt für Schritt zum erfolgreichen Börsenhändler [Gebundene Ausgabe] or series names like this: Before They Are Hanged (The First Law: Book Two) [Paperback]

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 01-31-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #7
AIberto

Thumbs up

Quote:
1. I dont see how that's possible. You're going to have to provide examples.
Looks like you're right but it's also a bit weird. During my tests I had several examples and corrected them: With the eBook-ISBN calibre retrieved the ASIN for the Kindle-Edition and did title case and after changing the ISBN to a Print Edition (Soft- or Hardcover) it didn't.

But I couldn't reproduce this behaviour today and now it seems to work...strange but fine If I find an example in the future I will post it here.

Quote:
In the next calibre release I will change the code to not run title case if the result has a language set and the language is not english. THat should help, but it will only work if google returns langauge metadata with its results.
Looks like that way it will work :

For example the book title "United States of America:
Geschichte und Kultur- Von der ersten Kolonie bis zur Gegenwart" on books.google.de delivers the following log entries with only Google set as metadata source (excerpt):

Using plugins: Google
The log from individual plugins is below
Title : United States of America: Geschichte Und Kultur- Von Der Ersten Kolonie Bis Zur Gegenwart (title case done)
Author(s) : Bernd Stöver
Publisher : Beck C. H.
Languages : deu
Published : 2012-08-15T23:39:22.245000+00:00
Identifiers : google:Uf6TtgAACAAJ, isbn:9783406639678

Let's hope Google will always return "Languages".

I'm happy to test it soon

Quote:
3. That is deliberate. Lots of amazon titles have junk in parentheses, like [Mass market] or (Kindle edition) in their titles. So calibre will strip anything in parentheses.
I see your point and that's fine with me.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
AIberto

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIberto View Post
I'm happy to test it soon
A huge for correcting the title case matter. Google seems to work fine now .
Old 02-04-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You're welcome