Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 06:26 PM   #14746
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Too bad it's the last Dresden Files book you're allowed to read.
I'm going to have to try the Dresden Files again... I keep trying to get into it, and each time I put it down after about 20-30 pages. But so many of you seem to love the series, and being a 'series lover' would be most gratified to find another looong series to read.

Off-topic question: Is playing Dreidel on-line considered Internet Gambling? I always used to lose to my cousins, but wonder if I'd stand a better chance playing on the Net.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:20 PM   #14747
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I'm going to have to try the Dresden Files again... I keep trying to get into it, and each time I put it down after about 20-30 pages. But so many of you seem to love the series, and being a 'series lover' would be most gratified to find another looong series to read.

Off-topic question: Is playing Dreidel on-line considered Internet Gambling? I always used to lose to my cousins, but wonder if I'd stand a better chance playing on the Net.

Stitchawl
Playing Dreidel is akin to playing Dice. As for Dresden, Penguin books are out. We came to this conclusion when we decide that Penguin is the cheapest publisher out there. They are not using their logo as a cover for some eBooks. No title of the book and no author. Just the penguin. So if you use thumbnails to look at the cover, you'll not know which book it is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:27 PM   #14748
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
To be honest, you should give the first book more then 30 pages. Some books do take a bit to get into. I would go with at least 75 pages and if you are not liking it, stop and forget the series. But the series does get better. So if it is the least bit interesting by the time you read page 75, keep going.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:35 PM   #14749
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrNefario View Post
I finished Life of Pi by Yann Martel last night. I mostly liked it. It reads as an adventure story most of the way through - I was left wondering how it was Booker-winning material - but then it becomes something more complex and interesting.
Loved this book - and I agree with you. At first you're thinking it's a quaint little adventure story and then...
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:16 AM   #14750
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, you should give the first book more then 30 pages. Some books do take a bit to get into. I would go with at least 75 pages and if you are not liking it, stop and forget the series. But the series does get better. So if it is the least bit interesting by the time you read page 75, keep going.
I just read Storm Front and I was hooked right from the start. But then, I like that kind of stuff.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #14751
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I just started Mr. Penumbro's 24-Hour Bookstore, and it's a really really fun book. It's also a fast read - I'm already 3/4 of the way through it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:13 AM   #14752
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
I've managed to get through the first two, and have the third ready to go. I promised myself I'd try three before deciding whether to read the rest of the series or not. After two, I'm not sure I'm even going to go for the third - Harry Potter with vampires and monsters, and I find Dresden's character rather irritating, so don't really care what happens to him.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #14753
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnstone View Post
I am currently reading "Half way home" by Hugh Howey. I have read about 1/3 so far and I like it a lot!
So not quite half way home then.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #14754
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: Outward Bound by James P. Hogan.
Which was indeed, as HarryT said, a fun new Heinlein-type juvenile. And none of Hogan's later rather weird pseudo-science ideas which put me off his work a bit.

Next: The Book of Kells by R.A.MacAvoy.

It's looking like a rather nice fantasy involving 10th century Ireland. MacAvoy does fantasy very well indeed.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:52 AM   #14755
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Singing in the Shrouds" by Ngaio Marsh

The 20th book in the "Inspector Alleyn" series.

A serial killer, dubbed "the flower killer" by the press, has been murdering women, leaving flowers on their bodies. There's reason to believe that the killer is one of a small group of passengers on a freighter sailing from England to South Africa, and Alleyn joins the ship as one of the passengers to try to find the killer before he can strike again.

A very good book, with an interesting cast of characters. As always with Marsh's books, it's not really the crime that holds the interest in the book, but the characters, and this one is very well done. I certainly didn't guess the outcome. Recommended.

On next to "The Dead of Jericho", the 5th book in Colin Dexter's "Inspector Morse" series.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:17 AM   #14756
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella20 View Post
Just started 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I've only read 10% and I'm already hooked!
Wow! That was a great read! Probably the best book I've read this year.

I don't know what my next read will be. Either The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss or the Wool series by Hugh Howey. I've read the first book in the series which I really enjoyed so I decided to get the Omnibus Edition.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:44 AM   #14757
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Harry Potter with vampires and monsters, and I find Dresden's character rather irritating, so don't really care what happens to him.
That's exactly what I think about Storm Front: it's like you throw every best-seller element of fiction in a blender and push the button. I managed Storm Front, but I'm really reluctant to continue.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #14758
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by maianhvk View Post
That's exactly what I think about Storm Front: it's like you throw every best-seller element of fiction in a blender and push the button. I managed Storm Front, but I'm really reluctant to continue.
Well put. I got tired of the "oh, so now there's some [insert mystical element of choice] in the story, is there?"
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #14759
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Concerning the Dresden Files:

I was feeling like Orlok and Maianhvk initially but I'm glad I persevered because the series keeps getting better. I didn't get into the series until the 4th or 5th book, until then I thought they were "okay" but not special. I'm now 45% into Cold Days (I'm trying not to go too fast, to make it last) and it's the best Dresden Files up until now.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #14760
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Concerning the Dresden Files:

I was feeling like Orlok and Maianhvk initially but I'm glad I persevered because the series keeps getting better. I didn't get into the series until the 4th or 5th book, until then I thought they were "okay" but not special. I'm now 45% into Cold Days (I'm trying not to go too fast, to make it last) and it's the best Dresden Files up until now.
My initial reaction to the first 2 books:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Harry Dresden is a down on his luck private investigating wizard! The only "real" wizard in Chicago, Ill. That fact alone usually leads him to trouble, if trouble doesn't find him first.

After reading the first 2 books, I find that I really like the "endless possibilities" feeling of the series, you're never sure just waht kind of supernatural being is going to pop up next. I mean who knew there were multiple flavors of werewolves!?!

I really like Harry (of course), although I find him to be quite frustrating at times. He's so stubborn about some things, and communication is definitely not his strong suit.

Karrin Murphy pisses me off makes me mad. She's just so...so... aarg!

I find "Bob" the disembodied something-thousand year old spirit, to be amusing.

Plus, I'm very curious to see how the whole frienemy thing works out with "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone.

Basically, they piqued my intrest enough for me to want to go on, but it was definitely book 4 - Summer Knight - that got me hooked!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote