Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
tslemko
tslemko began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Kobo, a real Mickey Mouse company!

I pre-ordered a new Vox back in October from Kobo.com , and was told it probably wouldn't ship until Nov 2 at the earliest. Then I found Future shop had them in stock (Oct 27th), so I emailed Kobo and told them to cancel the order, that was 15 days ago. I bought the Future shop Vox and started having problems right away. It wouldn't charge, so I took it back, and got another one. It wouldn't charge either, but I finally figured out that it had to be powered off completely to charge. That was a little inconvenient, but okay.
I spent lots of time loading my ebooks and some apps, then suddenly the reading app failed, and I couldn't read anything. I tried power offs, reboots, everything, but nothing worked. I deleted all my extra apps, all the ebooks, but still nothing. So I returned it to Future shop for a refund.
Then ten days later I get a email from Kobo saying they are now processing my order. I immediately wrote back and told them I had cancelled two weeks previously and to not ship it. Three more days went by and they sent an email saying it had been shipped, and I checked by credit card, and it was charged.
Their robot acknowledge the emails as having been received, but they only responded to an email where I ask questions, they never responded the the three emails where I told them to cancel the order. So much for customer service. It took tens days to respond to another earlier email where I asked some questions.
When the Vox arrives, I will refuse acceptance and then fight to have the charge removed, but given Kobo's history, that will probably take forever.
I will never deal with this company again.
tslemko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Or you could call them as other people here have to fix things, instead of depending on email.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They will pay the fee to return the extra device.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:50 PM   #4
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
Or you could call them as other people here have to fix things, instead of depending on email.
Have you tried calling them lately? You sit on hold for about an hour before someone puts down their nail file and talks to you. Currently there is NO effective way of getting through to Kobo. They're truly bush-league.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I called them the day the device came out. It took five minutes with everyone calling in to complain how it wasn't working.

Last edited by Haesslich; 11-11-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Edit 'wasn't' typo.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:17 PM   #6
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Two Cents...

On Oct. 28th, I called them about the fact you could not download the Owner's Manual. I got put in the hold-chain, and was picked up in three minutes. The person (who knows what outside company, and where on the planet it is located...) was very polite, solicitous, and came back (after a brief hold) with the information I was requesting. All in all, it was a good and satisfying interaction. I know that the odds are, that some will not have had as good an experience. It's like going to Sin City-Vegas.... All of Life is, LOL!
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 05:25 PM   #7
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslemko View Post
I pre-ordered a new Vox back in October from It wouldn't charge, so I took it back, and got another one. It wouldn't charge either, but I finally figured out that it had to be powered off completely to charge. That was a little inconvenient, but okay.
Mine charges quite nicely while I'm using it or just put it down so it's in sleep mode. I can see the tiny orange/green light indicator.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Here's a thought: why not try PM'ing some of the Kobo staff that are on here. Jack is more than helpful, including weekends. You may have gotten a lemon, but I bought mine the day I heard about it (same as you, 27th) have had no issues. But then I am a lot more patient it seems than some.
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
Mememememe
Connoisseur
Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.Mememememe knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
I called them the day the device came out. It took five minutes with everyone calling in to complain how it wasn't working.
That's not "recent". The past three weeks they've been a nightmare to deal with by phone.
Mememememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 07:32 PM   #10
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They don't seem to "scale up" all that well when there is a product launch. Add in the calls relating to a technical problem they were experiencing, and for sure, lots of folks had less than optimal experiences. This is a great example of the kind of thing that should improve when they have deeper pockets behind them.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #11
Haesslich
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mememememe View Post
That's not "recent". The past three weeks they've been a nightmare to deal with by phone.
Given it came out two weeks ago, I'd say it's recent. And if you were calling them three weeks back for a product which hadn't shipped yet... are you sure you actually have one?

I never had a problem getting through... and yet you've been calling them for THREE WEEKS. Hmm.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:00 PM   #12
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by cypherslock View Post
Here's a thought: why not try PM'ing some of the Kobo staff that are on here. Jack is more than helpful, including weekends. You may have gotten a lemon, but I bought mine the day I heard about it (same as you, 27th) have had no issues. But then I am a lot more patient it seems than some.
I think that's the thing...nobody is patient anymore...we all expect things resolved quickly and easily. The average person could resolve most of their issues by searching the web...but instead they get themselves all worked up when someone doesn't solve their problem immediately. I know because I have been that user before (usually with TV or PC issues). We work hard for our money and expect good customer service when we buy something. Problem is, good customer service is hard to find anywhere nowadays. It is ideal to be patient, knowlegable, and most important of all - always have a back-up!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 02:55 AM   #13
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
I think the big problem is that each launch is more successful than they're ready for. I work in a large Chapters location in Toronto and I've seen each of the Kobo launches at a store level. Each time we get little info, little training and only a handful of units at launch. Then we realize how popular it is and play catch-up. I assume it's the same at Kobo.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
When cancelling an order, no matter what company, I don't consider it cancelled until I get confirmation one way or another. If I don't get confirmation pretty soon after email contact I try again. When doing so I make an extra check that I'm using the proper address for that kind of email. You always have to be extra careful when doing "important" things through email. Automated response emails do not count as any kind of confirmation for me.
Many companies handle their email really badly. I don't expect Kobo to be one of them, but my only experience with them is a few months back when they were really great.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:24 AM   #15
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Tslemko,

See this thread. This has been my experience when buying a Vox from the Kobo site, or at least trying to:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155200

See post #11 in that thread. I know Darrell is being inundated with e-mails and phone calls, but he'll get it straightened out for you.

It would be a good idea for Kobo to just permit order cancellations on-line, the way Amazon does, instead of requiring a phone call.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote