Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 03-21-2011, 07:15 AM   #16
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
I'm running Calibre 7.50 and get this error:
Spoiler:
calibre, version 0.7.50
ERROR: Failed to generate APNX: <b>Failed</b>: Generating APNX for Roxie's Protectors 03: Leif's Surrender

Generating APNX for Roxie's Protectors 03: Leif's Surrender

APNX generation failed...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "F:\eBook Library\CalibreConfig\plugins\APNX Generator.zip\plugin_apnx_core.py", line 216, in run
File "F:\eBook Library\CalibreConfig\plugins\APNX Generator.zip\plugin_apnx_core.py", line 248, in _generate_apnx
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kindle\apnx.py", line 50, in write_apnx
IOError: [Errno 22] invalid mode ('wb') or filename: u"F:\\eBook Library\\Calibre DRM Free\\Marisa Chenery\\Roxie's Protectors 03: Leif's Surrender.apnx"
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:32 AM   #17
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
@beckywc, Right now the plugin uses the title for the filename of the APNX (unless you specify the file instead of selecting it in your library). The filename it created using the title has a : in it. :'s are prohibited characters. I plan on putting out a new version soon that will use the "Save to Disk" filename template for the file names. I will also correct this bug while I'm at it.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM   #18
beckywc
Addict
beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beckywc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini w/Retina, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire HDX 8.9, & Asus Transformer
Thank You
beckywc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #19
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
So I am going to ask a stupid question - I see the description of this plug-in however, I still don't understand what it means....APNX? What is this? Is this something like the ASIN?

My understanding is that Calibre now adds the ASIN and ebok info when converting books....I have re-converting my entire Calibre library to ensure this information has been added to each book. Do I now need to re-convert using this plug-in?

Sorry to not understand the importance of this..but any clarification on why I would want to use this plug-in would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The APNX file is used by the Kindle to give page numbers. It is a separate file that when present will allow the Kindle 3 with the 3.1 firmware to show pages in addition to location.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 AM   #21
Liesse
Zealot
Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Liesse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma
Thank you for this! Is there anything out there that will look at the books on my kindle and flag up if there is no APNX file for it? That would make identifying the books that need one easier.
Liesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 02:48 PM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
So I am going to ask a stupid question - I see the description of this plug-in however, I still don't understand what it means....APNX? What is this? Is this something like the ASIN?

My understanding is that Calibre now adds the ASIN and ebok info when converting books....I have re-converting my entire Calibre library to ensure this information has been added to each book. Do I now need to re-convert using this plug-in?

Sorry to not understand the importance of this..but any clarification on why I would want to use this plug-in would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Thank you so much for asking. I was curious as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
The APNX file is used by the Kindle to give page numbers. It is a separate file that when present will allow the Kindle 3 with the 3.1 firmware to show pages in addition to location.
Thank you for explaining! Off to install....
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #23
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Thank you so much for asking. I was curious as well.

Thank you for explaining! Off to install....
You only need this plugin if you are not using "Send to device" when sending files to your Kindle. "Send to device" automatically generates and sends the APNX to a the Kindle with the book. This plugin is only needed if you already have books on your Kindle you want to create APNX files for (and you don't want to re send them).
Old 03-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #24
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You only need this plugin if you are not using "Send to device" when sending files to your Kindle. "Send to device" automatically generates and sends the APNX to a the Kindle with the book. This plugin is only needed if you already have books on your Kindle you want to create APNX files for (and you don't want to re send them).
Ooooh! Okay. I didn't realize that part. I knew I had some "older" books that originally did not have page numbers, so I thought I needed it for those.

Thank you, once again, for explaining!
Old 03-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #25
kphoenix
kphoenix began at the beginning.

Device: none
APNX and page numbers

I'm working on a book that will be sent to Amazon. I got the generator to work fine, but now know that the page numbers won't show until the book comes FROM Amazon (if I understand your most recent post about "checking with Amazon"). But, my question is this...if I create an epub file from an InDesign file and then convert that to a mobi file in Calibre and then use the APNX generator on it, where does it get page number information? Sorry if this is a stupid question but it's a new concept to me.
kphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #26
Nyssa
Series Addict

Question:

Is there a way to use the info from this Plugin to populate & display a "# of pages" field in Calibre?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #27
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Is there a way to use the info from this Plugin to populate & display a "# of pages" field in Calibre?
No. The plugin only works by reading MOBI files. It cannot determine page length from any other format. Also it is a slow process because the plugin decompresses the MOBI text and parsers it to determine where a page begins / ends.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:51 AM   #28
Ron.
Evangelist
Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ron. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, LookBook, Nook Simple Touch
Quote:
There exactly the same as what's sent to the Kindle and they work on the Kindle. I will look into why they don't work for apps.

I was just playing around and got the apnx files to work in the kindle for PC app, the .apnx file needs to be named with the ASIN of the book. example "B002953482_EBOK.apnx" which is the ASIN number I gave "A Modern Utopia - H. G. Wells.mobi.
Ron. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 AM   #29
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
No. The plugin only works by reading MOBI files. It cannot determine page length from any other format. Also it is a slow process because the plugin decompresses the MOBI text and parsers it to determine where a page begins / ends.
All I have are MOBI files.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #30
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
I was just playing around and got the apnx files to work in the kindle for PC app, the .apnx file needs to be named with the ASIN of the book. example "B002953482_EBOK.apnx" which is the ASIN number I gave "A Modern Utopia - H. G. Wells.mobi.
I'm glad you've found a way to get it working with Kindle4PC. A lot of people are going to be happy about this. Unfortunately I can't get this method to work with the Kindle for Mac app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa
Is there a way to use the info from this Plugin to populate & display a "# of pages" field in Calibre? ... All I have are MOBI files.
Let me think about how to go about making a new plugin that will calculate page count. I don't want to limit it to only MOBI files.