Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #121
ischeriad
Connoisseur
ischeriad began at the beginning.

Device: PB Pro 903, Kobo Touch [Past: Story, Clié N770C, SL-10, Palm IIIxe, V]
Apparently, there is a new firmware 1.71. I don't know the exact changes and have not installed the fw myself yet.

Some Information: http://www.gennard.net/blog/2010/04/...firmware-1-71/
Korean site with what seems to be release notes (I do not read korean): http://zone.iriver.co.kr/service/cs_...Idx=1&idx=1217
Other place to download, this is where I tend to look for updates. No release notes there (yet?): http://www.iriver.com/index.asp?code=0402

Edit:
I have installed the firmware. The overall speed and responsiveness seem to have improved a lot.

Last edited by ischeriad; 04-07-2010 at 07:58 AM.
ischeriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #122
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Using google's translate, this is what I got as changelog from the Korean site:

1. Djvu file format support. (Added in firmware 1.70)
: Story Djvu files from the product supports the following features.
- Page Jump
- Bookmark
- Zoom (4 steps)
- Popup Dictionary function (if it is equipped with pre-content)

2. Adding the time set by city. (Added in firmware 1.70)
: Set → Time setting can be set in the city.
After entering the time setting off down the arrow keys to change the city can be.

I don't have any use for Djvu format, so I don't even need to upgrade. I was hoping for improvements for reading PDF files in landscape mode. Well, another 3 months wait for another update (hopefully).
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 03:30 AM   #123
dimov000
dimov000 began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story
The update of firmware to vs 1.7.1

I downloaded it from the international Iriver site and there you can download it without knowing about the changes etc.
Place the firmware in the root of your story and after disconnecting your story the firmware will automatically upgrade.

For all dutch owners of a epub compatible e-reader...I hava a weblog which weekly inform you about e-readers and e-books and how to make them yourself from books which are not used anymore. You find me on samson-dimov.nl
dimov000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #124
ischeriad
Connoisseur

English release notes on iriver.com:
Quote:
Customers who purchased iriver-story can upgrade their players with the attached file.
After connecting your player to PC, please download the attached file and copy it
in removable disk of iriver-story.

1-1. Added Function
1) Supporting DJVU file format
2) Global time

1-2. Improvment
1) Revisiong some errors on MS .doc file
2) improving page movement* through long-key
3) improving shortcut key setting
Old 04-09-2010, 08:43 PM   #125
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ischeriad View Post
2) improving page movement* through long-key
I wonder what 'long-key' means. Which key is it?
Advert
Old 04-10-2010, 06:54 AM   #126
ischeriad
Connoisseur

I guess it refers to long key press, holding the page buttons.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #127
gambarini
Connoisseur
gambarini began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story, Ipod Touch, Android SmartPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dimov000 View Post
I downloaded it from the international Iriver site and there you can download it without knowing about the changes etc.
Place the firmware in the root of your story and after disconnecting your story the firmware will automatically upgrade.

For all dutch owners of a epub compatible e-reader...I hava a weblog which weekly inform you about e-readers and e-books and how to make them yourself from books which are not used anymore. You find me on samson-dimov.nl
the file has "HEX," extension, yes, with comma at the end.
Do you rename the file?
gambarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:45 PM   #128
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambarini View Post
the file has "HEX," extension, yes, with comma at the end.
Do you rename the file?
The original firmware v1.71 posted at iRiver was a string of numbers followed by the extension hex. This was removed after a week or two. Then it was renamed and reposted, with a wrong file name again.

The file should be renamed as "ebook.hex", not "e-book.hex".

Just a warning: if you upgrade, you may not be able to read DOC format correctly anymore.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 AM   #129
gambarini
Connoisseur
gambarini began at the beginning.

Device: IRiver Story, Ipod Touch, Android SmartPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
The original firmware v1.71 posted at iRiver was a string of numbers followed by the extension hex. This was removed after a week or two. Then it was renamed and reposted, with a wrong file name again.

The file should be renamed as "ebook.hex", not "e-book.hex".

Just a warning: if you upgrade, you may not be able to read DOC format correctly anymore.
thank you very mutch for your help.
Now i am a bit hesitant;
i currently use my iriver only to reed epub produced with calibre from RSS feed.
I own a large number of book (epub or pdf format), and they look ok; i don't try to read DOC, but i can't know if i have this necessity in the near future...
So, do you have upgrader yours?

p.s.
Excuse for my poor english
gambarini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #130
Traye
Zealot
Traye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a TexanTraye might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS505, Ipod touch, iPhone
For the folks earlier in the thread whose Story won't switch on, I plugged mine into the PC and nothing happened, no charging symbol or anything so I left it plugged in for a while. I then switched it on and still nothing so I pressed reset and then switched it on again and it's been fine since. I had the charging symbol and have since switched it on and off a few times and it's been fine.

I love it.
Traye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #131
greenapple
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by gambarini View Post
thank you very mutch for your help.
Now i am a bit hesitant;
i currently use my iriver only to reed epub produced with calibre from RSS feed.
I own a large number of book (epub or pdf format), and they look ok; i don't try to read DOC, but i can't know if i have this necessity in the near future...
So, do you have upgrader yours?

p.s.
Excuse for my poor english
I've upgraded mine to v1.71. It's having this DOC format problem. I'm not sure if I could go back to an older version, because some hardware will not allow a backward downgrade.

I'm not very sure what seems to be causing the problem, especially when the changelog specifically says v1.71 addresses an MS Word issue. Since this is a Korean company, I have a theory that the DOC format probably works with documents saved using the Korean version of MS Word.

I'm using the US version of MS Word 2007. The document is just not readable, unless I use a magnifying glass. Even with maximum zoom, the words are still too tiny to read, and the words on the left/right margin flow off the screen. In other words, it won't do reflow as it should.

Last edited by greenapple; 04-21-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #132
Jazzgooner
Jazzgooner began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Firmware 1.71 + library books

I was having trouble with library ebooks 'til now and despite your offers of help (thanks Fireforce) I couldn't get them to open.

Now however with 1.71 it works, I can now read the library books. Hurrah!

Actually I think it might have something to do with the new posibility of putting in the time zone. In fact I have a French keyboard so I was wondering if the Singaporean timed DRM was having trouble coping with that.
Pity about the .doc problems though.
Jazzgooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 11:33 PM   #133
finnbfi
finnbfi began at the beginning.

To upgrade or not to upgrade ...

My iriver is still at v 1.02, straight from the factory (presumably).

My question - should I upload directly to 1.7, or step up to 1.50 and then go to 1.7?

Also, the upgrade instructions on the iriver site say "please download the attached file and copy it in removable disk of iriver-story as follows."

I don't have a 'removable disk of iriver story' - assuming the removeable disk is an SD card.

Is this just bad english, and the 'removable disk' actualy is the iriver unit's hard drive?

Thanks in advance for the help.
finnbfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #134
greenapple
Evangelist

Stick to older versions, if they're available. v1.70 and later are infested with the nastiest of bugs that even iRiver couldn't, wouldn't fix.

Transfer the .hex file to the main memory (not the SD card), and safely remove the usb connection. The upgrade will be performed when you reboot your Story.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:10 AM   #135
finnbfi
finnbfi began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenapple View Post
Stick to older versions, if they're available. v1.70 and later are infested with the nastiest of bugs that even iRiver couldn't, wouldn't fix.

Transfer the .hex file to the main memory (not the SD card), and safely remove the usb connection. The upgrade will be performed when you reboot your Story.
Upgraded wtih 1.61- works great! Thanks.
finnbfi is offline   Reply With Quote