Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 09-07-2008, 05:37 PM   #31
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i will have to take a closer look at calibre. so far i have not because my original impression was that it was specifically for making sony books, and i don't have a sony. i realised quickly that it had other features as well but i'm now discovering it has far wider applications than i ever suspected. also i've heard talk of integrating .imp support along with the other filetypes it already supports ; it could end up being just what i need.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 05:41 PM   #32
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
In the search bar enter:

Code:
format!ebk
That's a pretty good reason not to use Calibre right there

Quote:
I doubt there's any collection querying feature that you can think of that calibre can't do.
Oh, I'm pretty sure I can.

Quote:
And to address the concerns about folder organization.
Uhh, what concerns would those be? You seem to be taking this as a "look what calibre doesn't do" thread, although I think we've tried hard to make it not like that. This thread is not about concerns with Calibre, indeed, any further discussion of Calibre should be moved to an appropriate thread.

Again, this thread is about an indexing tool that will allow me to look at and examine my collection of books, virtual or otherwise, and to organise and interrogate that collection in a multitude of ways. Let's please try to stay on-track with that concept.
NetSlut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2008, 07:59 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This was an attempt to get you to do the sensible thing and not re-invent the wheel. Since you seem to want to re-invent the wheel, best of luck.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 PM   #34
NetSlut
Connoisseur
NetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enoughNetSlut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
This was an attempt to get you to do the sensible thing and not re-invent the wheel. Since you seem to want to re-invent the wheel, best of luck.

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
But if the database backend of Calibre does most of what you want, writing a new front end might still be a viable option to get the tool you are looking for, don't you think?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 AM   #36
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Nekokami, I would have thought that was exactly the case, until Kovid said that he wasn't an SQL guru (therefore the database backend isn't going to be very well optimised), and various issues with Calibre have been mentioned; it seems to me that the database backend isn't going to do what I want.

Besides which, I *am* an SQL guru, as well as a guru of many other disciplines, so I'm pretty certain there won't be much standing in my way.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:15 AM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
not to mention the fact that our new SQL guru needs a new project to keep him busy.

god knows we wouldn't want him to have too much free time on his hands ; who knows what kind of trouble he could get into.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:17 AM   #38
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Well, exactly. If it wasn't for this, I'd have to resume my hobby of deciding the basis upon which I should choose victims...
Old 09-08-2008, 11:29 AM   #39
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by NetSlut View Post
Well, exactly. If it wasn't for this, I'd have to resume my hobby of deciding the basis upon which I should choose victims...
Can I be your friend (because I fear you)?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:35 AM   #40
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Some competition can be nice.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:45 AM   #41
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Nekokami, I would have thought that was exactly the case, until Kovid said that he wasn't an SQL guru (therefore the database backend isn't going to be very well optimised), and various issues with Calibre have been mentioned; it seems to me that the database backend isn't going to do what I want.

Besides which, I *am* an SQL guru, as well as a guru of many other disciplines, so I'm pretty certain there won't be much standing in my way.
At this rate you're heading straight into the category of people that make big announcements of what they're going to do and are never heard from again. Produce some working software, and then talk.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:

So, what dev tools, language and sql backend do you plan to use? Will this be a multi-platform tool that runs on Windows/Mac/Linux as calibre does?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:57 AM   #43
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can I be your friend (because I fear you)?
Sure! That's one of the criteria I have for my most frequent victims! :-D
Old 09-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #44
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Quote:
At this rate you're heading straight into the category of people that make big announcements of what they're going to do and are never heard from again. Produce some working software, and then talk.
<sigh> ...and the only reason things are proceeding at this rate is because you seem to be insisting that yours is the only worthwhile program out there, and can do no wrong.

I have a really simple premise here: I just want a tool to index things for me. I don't want it to convert stuff. I don't want it to corrupt my device. I don't want it to look like a blind three-year-old wrote the GUI, and I don't want it to perform like a mangy dog when it gets just 10k entries.

Honestly, if you can't do better than that, you should quit and go and become a bricklayer.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:08 PM   #45
NetSlut
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
So, what dev tools, language and sql backend do you plan to use? Will this be a multi-platform tool that runs on Windows/Mac/Linux as calibre does?

BOb
At the moment, I have no plans. As I said before, I'll take stock of what people want to see, and then I'll make my plans.

I thoroughly disapprove of people choosing to work with tools they are familiar with just for that reason alone; tools should be chosen because they are appropriate to the task at hand.

Obviously, if multi-platform is an issue, then Java is a big candidate, but I really dislike Java's UI abilities.

Tags
duck!, puppy!