Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 06:37 PM   #16
S.Canton
Groupie
S.Canton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I don't mind the "hacked" font, but I prefer the look of the original. They just need to make it a bit darker and it would be perfect, which I'm sure they've received more than a few complaints about.
S.Canton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 PM   #17
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I installed the Bold Narrow Native and it makes a world of difference. I love it now.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 05:35 AM   #18
Slow_hand
Groupie
Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Slow_hand has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
I installed the Bold Narrow Native and it makes a world of difference. I love it now.
I agree totally - makes a world of difference.
Slow_hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #19
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
I loaded the Bold Narrow Native too, and I agree with nremondelli and Slow_hand.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:42 PM   #20
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for trying things out. I've simply taken Andrei's font hack and replaced the reading fonts (as noted in a previous post).

Some (potentially) interesting info from my Kindle 2 studies:
- There's wide variation in screen quality. The best of the screens show no ghosting. The worst show so much ghosting that pages are only easily readable after pressing alt-G.
- The 'good' units have dark, sharply defined pixels. Most readers with good eyes find these units to be very readable, when well lit, with the original font.
- In dimmer lighting, some of the modified fonts are popular, even for those with good eyes and a good unit. Georgia has been very popular. It's a serif font that I've tweaked slightly to be bolder, yet maintain the fine features of a good serif font.
- Those that like sans-serif fonts favor the different flavors of Helvetica.
- Some of the varieties put on the site were designed for those with poorer vision. Conditions such as macular degeneration and cataracts. These read like a large print book. Super bold and large.
- Others I've just adjusted aspect ratios or tweaked individual characters for maximum legibility on the K2. Typically the "tall" varieties maintain the normal width, so as to keep the characters per line, but stretch the height 10%-20%.

Based on feedback, I am unsurprised that there's a wide variety of opinions. People even say they switch from day-to-day based on how their eyes are feeling or based on reading situation. I.e., switching to a bolder font for nighttime reading.

I don't check these postings often. If you have feedback or requests, please join my beta-testers feedback group

Also, if you find a font you like, please participate in the poll posted on kindleboards. We're trying to put together as much useful information as possible regarding the fonts so that if/when Amazon implements a fix, they do it in a way that people will find useful.

Last edited by ted-san; 05-03-2009 at 08:06 PM. Reason: changed email notification
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:52 PM   #21
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted-san View Post

- In dimmer lighting, some of the modified fonts are popular, even for those with good eyes and a good unit. Georgia has been very popular. It's a serif font that I've tweaked slightly to be bolder, yet maintain the fine features of a good serif font.
You must be psychic. Georgia is the font that I really wanted to try on my K2. I'll give it a go. Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I believe I have found my perfect Kindle 2 font and it is the Georgia 2.

I'm adding screen shots instead of scans to show that the font sizes are the same on both Kindles (3). I made sure to use alt+shift+3 on both so that the line spacing is the same. I used the same letter from Jeff Bezos (though they have different dates, it's the same letter.

The new Georgia font is much larger than the factory installed font. I normally read at 4 and I can now drop down to 2 (which is nearly equal to the factory installed 3).

1 = control kindle font at 3
2 = Georgia font at 3
3 = Georgia font at 2

Edit: After going back to my regular book, I've decided reading at 3 with line spacing of 4 or 5 works better for me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	control with factory font at 3.gif
Views:	573
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	28406   Click image for larger version

Name:	georgia font at 3.gif
Views:	584
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	28407   Click image for larger version

Name:	georgia font at 2.gif
Views:	577
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	28408  

Last edited by daffy4u; 05-03-2009 at 08:41 PM.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:07 PM   #23
ted-san
ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ted-san has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

comparison of all fonts

I've posted a comparison of all the fonts in a single PDF file. There are also individual image files posted of screen grabs for the fonts.
This should let you see what the fonts look like in form without having to install them.
Important note: they will look very different on the Kindle screen because of the difference in screen technologies. All these fonts look overly bold on a conventional LCD monitor.
For some reason, that link isn't working, sorry.
Go to this page:
https://sites.google.com/a/etccreati...-install-files
and click on the link there for the PDF file

Last edited by ted-san; 05-04-2009 at 02:44 PM. Reason: bad link
ted-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 02:19 PM   #24
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I just installed Georgia, very nice.

Thanks for all your work Ted.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 03:12 PM   #25
DotComCTO
DotComCTO began at the beginning.

That was excellent work! I had read the original Kindle 2 font hack info some weeks ago, but I was dragging my feet on testing it. I stumbled onto this forum posting and went ahead installing "Helvetica 2". I have a preference for non-serifed fonts, so I find it to be excellent for reading at size 3 (though size 2 is great, too).

Thanks a million!

--DotComCTO

P.S. Anyone have a good source for a Simplified Chinese font? It would be nice to read some of my study material on the K2 - especially in class!
DotComCTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
Thanks, I was worried I'd be stuck with Kindle factory fonts only and from what I saw on their website, they don't work well with the visually impaired. The info on this blog provides a great way to bypass that. Thanks!
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #27
andrys
Explorer
andrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchforkandrys can load mercury with a pitchfork

Device: Kindles,SurfacePro2,NookColor,Pocket Edge,Samsung 10.1 Tab,S2 phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The line spacing could change the location numbers as well. And the file is too small for the location numbers to be very precise. But I do agree on further viewing that it's the line spacing that's different.
Also, the 2nd one hurts my eyes, because the letters are vertically elongated and fuzzier (due to thickness) than the original on the left.

The lighter bezel is overexposed so the lettering is also of course.
andrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #28
hal_9000
Enthusiast
hal_9000 has learned how to buy an e-book online

can you guys please tell me how each of these 3 factors influence the readability of the kindle:
-font type
-lighting
-font size

of these 3, do you guys think its 75% due to font size/type? and 25% lighting?
or is lighting more important than font size/type? hence, would the "mighty bright" light help if my house doesnt have bright conditions?

i downloaded the helvitca2 font and it helped, just trying to see if the lighting conditions matter as much as the font does...
hal_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 07:51 PM   #29
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Excellent, I tried a different variation of Arial, looks better to my eye.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 08:47 PM   #30
JoeC
Addict
JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoeC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 and 3, Scribe
I can't recall which Font I ended up using but with the Kindle 2 I found the standard font irritating. I experimented with some fonts with the hack and use the Verilux night light and my eyes are much happier.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 2 font hack