Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #136
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo X61, Samsung Galaxy Note with Aldiko reader app
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Thanks, Peter. That is fun, and I did know the information before. My point was more along the lines of when did the move from refering to this corner of Europe as "[Great] Britain" and move towards "UK", and who drove it? No doubt the information is out there somewhere, but I'll just accept it for now.
Peakcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:30 PM   #137
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Thanks, Peter. That is fun, and I did know the information before. My point was more along the lines of when did the move from refering to this corner of Europe as "[Great] Britain" and move towards "UK", and who drove it? No doubt the information is out there somewhere, but I'll just accept it for now.
Don't know the dates exactly but "Great Britain" is essentially England, Scotland and Wales, the "United Kingdom" also includes Northern Ireland. "GB" is essentially a geographic grouping whilst "UK" is a political one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_kingdom gives a better explanation.

BobC
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:44 PM   #138
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Really, I was agreeing with you - the drop-down menus of locations, though coming from a different starting point, are the problem. I've thought back, and until computers became ubiquitous, I don't think the term "UK/United Kingdom" was really used. Our nationality is British, the government is British etc. So, where did this UK nonsense come from? Don't bother answering - this is sufficiently off-topic (again!) - let's keep it a rhetorical question!
I think that the UK term was used in the US, pre-internet age. And, since most of the internet standards are US derived...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #139
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I think that the UK term was used in the US, pre-internet age. And, since most of the internet standards are US derived...
Said tongue firmly in cheek, I trust.
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:49 PM   #140
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Maybe in a few years time I'll have to use "Scotland" as the locale ...
You'll be long gone from Scotland by then

PeterT I love those country videos! How fun.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:57 PM   #141
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Said tongue firmly in cheek, I trust.
Actually, not.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:47 AM   #142
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi
Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.Peakcrew can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Quote:
Actually, not.
I find myself in agreement with murg. As I said earlier, I know the technical differences between "UK" and "GB", and have done for a long time. My point was, and remains, that when I was (much) younger, the term "United Kingdom" was hardly ever heard - it was "[Great] Britain". Something changed in the last 15-20 years, and it is probably, as murg says, to do with the internet, and, therefore, the USA-ns.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 AM   #143
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

[QUOTE=Mrs_Often;2462729]You'll be long gone from Scotland by then

As I feel at the moment, that can't come too soon ...
Old 03-25-2013, 07:38 AM   #144
murg
No Comment

[QUOTE=Peakcrew;2463155]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
You'll be long gone from Scotland by then

As I feel at the moment, that can't come too soon ...
So then, you'll be scot free?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #145
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

[QUOTE=murg;2463224]
Quote:

So then, you'll be scot free?
Oooooooooohhhhhhh!!
Old 03-26-2013, 12:08 PM   #146
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Quote:
Actually, not.
Well in that case FYI the term was officially coined in 1801 when the parliaments of Ireland and England passed the "Act of Union" uniting the two kingdoms.

The term "United Kingdom" in my experience has been in common usage and interchangeably as far back as I can recall. Things and events that have reinforced usage have been the Northern Ireland troubles in the media, sporting events and such where we represent ourselves as the United Kingdom (just had a nostalgic cringe as I remembered "Jeux Sans Frontieres" there) and the fact it's stamped on the front of our passports. So common usage definitely predates the Internet and any potential American involvement

However I do think that the Internet has played it's part in making the use of "UK" reach greater prominence Worldwide simply by the expedient of being far easier to type/text
Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #147
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Well in that case FYI the term was officially coined in 1801 when the parliaments of Ireland and England passed the "Act of Union" uniting the two kingdoms.

The term "United Kingdom" in my experience has been in common usage and interchangeably as far back as I can recall. Things and events that have reinforced usage have been the Northern Ireland troubles in the media, sporting events and such where we represent ourselves as the United Kingdom (just had a nostalgic cringe as I remembered "Jeux Sans Frontieres" there) and the fact it's stamped on the front of our passports. So common usage definitely predates the Internet and any potential American involvement

However I do think that the Internet has played it's part in making the use of "UK" reach greater prominence Worldwide simply by the expedient of being far easier to type/text
just to add to the confusion: in sporting events, you either have the individual countries (England, Scotland, Wales, NI), as for instance in football or snooker; or "team GB" if you talk Olympic games - no UK there...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:35 PM   #148
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
just to add to the confusion: in sporting events, you either have the individual countries (England, Scotland, Wales, NI), as for instance in football or snooker; or "team GB" if you talk Olympic games - no UK there...
Oh it's convoluted for sure, for example the Olympic "Team GB" is actually comprised of sports members from Great Britain and Northern Ireland so techically Team UK! Yet off the top of my head the aforementioned "Jeux Sans Frontieres" (or International "It's a Knockout" if you prefer) and the Eurovision Song contest both field representation from "United Kingdom". Go figure.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:23 AM   #149
DomesticExtremis
Addict
DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DomesticExtremis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: default
But teamuk sounds like some obscure South Pacific island, or what's left in the bottom of the teapot.
DomesticExtremis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #150
Peakcrew
Avid reader of sci-fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomesticExtremis View Post
But teamuk sounds like some obscure South Pacific island, or what's left in the bottom of the teapot.
I like it!!