Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
gin_ger
gin_ger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Kindle 2 and local library

Does any one know if the local library e-books can work with Kindle 2?
My local library works with www.netlibrary.com for e-books.

Thanks,
Ginger
gin_ger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:18 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You need to make sure they have mobipocket format ebooks.

Then, you'll need to do some research and be able to download and run kindlefix script on your computer in order for your kindle to read them.

When the kindle first came out, we were able to help people thru this process.

Amazon decided that was 'cheating', even tho the books still closed at the end of the period, and made us stop.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

Amazon decided that was 'cheating', even tho the books still closed at the end of the period, and made us stop.
Really?

Are the threads still around and does Amazon still frown on this?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Really?

Are the threads still around and does Amazon still frown on this?
I don't know and Yes.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:26 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Search for "kindlefix", and click on Daffy4u's links.
Advert
Old 02-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I've got the programs etc. and a few of the titles in my local library are mobi, but they seem to have moved to primarily epub. I was more curious than anything. I tend to avoid anything I can't strip DRM from because it just ain't right.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:23 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yeah, I've got the programs etc. and a few of the titles in my local library are mobi, but they seem to have moved to primarily epub. I was more curious than anything. I tend to avoid anything I can't strip DRM from because it just ain't right.
See, here's the thing. The Kindlefix script only temporarily removes the drm so that your kindle can read it.

At the end of the loan period, your book "closes" and is returned to the library.

You're just checking out a book.......not taking it forever.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
See, here's the thing. The Kindlefix script only temporarily removes the drm so that your kindle can read it.

At the end of the loan period, your book "closes" and is returned to the library.

You're just checking out a book.......not taking it forever.
Yep.

It just modifies the byte in the mobi file so the kindle will display it.

Any books I want permanently I purchase.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Kindlefix script still works well also.

I use it on a currently updated Kindle with no problem.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:32 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gin_ger View Post
Does any one know if the local library e-books can work with Kindle 2?
My local library works with www.netlibrary.com for e-books.

Thanks,
Ginger
As I recall, NetLibrary's function is for accessing content online only - no downloading.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
As I recall, NetLibrary's function is for accessing content online only - no downloading.

Um, no. See the link above.

Specifically:

http://library.netlibrary.com/01132010.aspx

"NetLibrary eBooks compatible with new Barnes & Noble nook, new Sony Daily Edition and other popular eBook readers"

Last edited by kennyc; 02-13-2010 at 06:50 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Oh, that's great news! My netlibrary has not allowed downloadable books. Perhaps that will change.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #13
luvshihtzu
Groupie
luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'luvshihtzu can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Sony 950 and iPad
The little Sony Pocket 300's are selling real cheap this weekend over at J.R.com. I got an extra $15 off coupon by e-mail. I would recommend it as a spare reader for Library ebooks.

I bought a used Sony 505 a few months ago and use it just for Library ebooks from Overdrive. Our NetLibrary doesn't have any ebooks I can put on the Sony, only audiobooks. The NetLibrary ebooks I have seen can only be read on their onscreen reader. I use my Kindle for everything else as I prefer the larger fonts.

Just found this regarding ebooks from NetLibrary:

"Note: Only available in some libraries. In order to read eBooks offline, your library must have acquired an Adobe Content Server (ACS) Gateway License. If your library has made this option available you will see the link to Check Out and Download on the Details page for PDF-Formatted eContent.
Checks out an eBook to your account and downloads the file to your personal computer for offline viewing, and lets you exclusively view the full-text during the checkout period defined by your affiliated library . You must be logged into your account. Checkout is available on the Details page. See Check Out and Download eBook Process . "

I just checked out the libraries where my daughter lives in Minnesota. Her county library NetLibrary doesn't have any books for reading off-line, but the Minneapolis NetLibrary has some available for ereaders. Looks like most are travel and how-to books. I had planned on buying my daughter a Sony reader, but so far there just aren't enough ebooks available for downloading where she lives.

My library in Tucson, Arizona only has about 3500 on-line ebooks for NetLibrary and 860 ebooks for Overdrive. The Overdrive ebooks can be downloaded to my Sony, but not the NetLibrary

Last edited by luvshihtzu; 02-14-2010 at 12:19 AM.
luvshihtzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #14
gin_ger
gin_ger began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I got to know that my local library does not let me download the e-books to any hand held device at the present moment. I still went ahead with a Kindle and I really love it
gin_ger is offline   Reply With Quote