Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle, iPhone
Feature Request - Unread flag

It would be useful to be able to mark which books I've read and sort/filter on that flag. I know I could do this with tags, but I don't think I can sort unless I make it the first tag. How about a new column with a simple check box ?

Thanks! The more I use Calibre, the more I like it.

Bob
Bob Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 10:17 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
This has been requested several times and I'm pretty sure Kovid has decided not to do it, which I agree with.

Create a tag "read" and use that instead. Why is that a problem, I'm not sure from your post?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Bob Butler
Connoisseur
Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Bob Butler can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

It's not a problem, it's just a less than ideal solution. Tags appear to be sorted as a single string, so if I create a tag "Science Fiction, Unread" I can't sort it by unread status. If I make it "Unread, Science Fiction" I can't sort it by genre.

I realize I can use filters to partly solve this, but it seems like a hack for something that should be a separate field.. I just don't think tags are the right place for this, but that's obviously just my opinion.

It seems to me that tags are for arbitrary textual annotations that may not be common to all users. Unread is a concept that has a specific and shared meaning and would be useful to manipulate independently of the tag field.

If Kovid has decided against it, though, I'll just use tags.
Old 02-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I see what you are saying. I never sort by tags... I sort by title and use the tag browser to include/exclude tags so only the books I want to see on on the list.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
As a general note: It is in my long term TODO list to allow the user to create new database fields (and hence sort columns).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 04:02 PM   #6
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
You could also use the Rating field to indicate "read" status, if you add any rating at all (even a constant one) to those books you have read.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:35 PM   #7
Bob Butler
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
You could also use the Rating field to indicate "read" status, if you add any rating at all (even a constant one) to those books you have read.
That's a good idea.. I'll give that a try. I hadn't seen much point in rating books in my own collection, so I'm not using it currently.