Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-19-2007, 02:50 PM   #16
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
If the Kindle is a success in the USA Amazon will without a doubt make it available to other areas as well (even if that means changing the hardware).

No offense intended, but I don't really think sending E-Mails to Amazon will change anything in there business plans. No doubt they discussed markets outside of the USA, considered technical restrictions, made market analysis, etc. and - apprently - came to the conclusion that it was best to target the US market first to see how the Kindle and Kindle books sell.
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:01 PM   #17
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, I honestly don't understand their reasoning...and of course their mp3 sales are apparently US only.
The Sony Reader is now out as Second Generation but still US exclusive...I think we DO have to shout at them for a while to really get their attention...they might think we are not interested...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 03:11 PM   #18
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
And please add the following points in the petition:

1. A PC-Software (Java-based, I need Linux-support) to read kindle-books
2. Kindle - to - DRM-Mobipocket-Converter Software. I want to read Kindle-eBooks on an iLiad or similar.
3. UMTS/GPRS Support.
4. Open their Kindle-Format. Even an OpenSource-Format might be DRM'd...

Then - I would love it. Otherwise I will hate it.
It's simple
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 03:45 PM   #19
ashalan
Connoisseur
ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ashalan has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tirsales View Post
2. Kindle - to - DRM-Mobipocket-Converter Software. I want to read Kindle-eBooks on an iLiad or similar.
Amen
ashalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 04:22 PM   #20
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Which also means the device would have to go through the whole evaluation process again (FCC is for US only).
Or they could just drop a WiFi NIC in that thing and call it a day.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2007, 04:47 PM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

I just got a reply from Amazon Customer service. It was pretty much standard fare and did not offer any real information. It sounded real helpful and everything, but I'm guessing the Kindle for us non-US residents is a far way off at best.

Here is the email:

Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing content from the Amazon
Kindle Store in Germany.

At this time, we are unable to offer the Amazon Kindle and
associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our
international customers due to import/export laws and other
restrictions.

When you place your order for an Amazon Kindle, both the billing
address for the payment method and the shipping address for the
delivery must be recognized by our systems as valid United States
addresses.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We value our
international customers and hope to make content available in your
location in the future. Please continue to check our website for
additional information on supported locations.

Thank you for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:
Old 11-19-2007, 04:59 PM   #22
mattimatt
Vits er þörf
mattimatt began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Bookeen Gen3, iLiad
To me some parts of the Kindle idea seem cool but other aspects of this device based DRM look scary. Perhaps they will sell it in Europe at some later date but for now I'm very happy with my two European devices (Cybook and iLiad). I think we should support the European initiative and not even consider asking for a Kindle on the European market at least for some time. Let's see how it plays out.
mattimatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:36 PM   #23
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

OK, now this is bad news...

I sent a second inquiry to Amazon.com and got this reply:
Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing content from the Amazon
Kindle Store in the future.

At this time, I am not aware of any concrete plans to offer the Amazon
Kindle and associated digital content from the Kindle Store to our
international customers in the near future. Of course, this may change
or there may be information we are not privy to but please understand
that we do not have any more information about a time frame for
offering this service outside the United States at this time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. We value our
international customers and hope to make content available in your
location in the future. Please continue to check our website for
additional information on supported locations.

Old 11-19-2007, 05:44 PM   #24
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Well, this just affirmes my believe. And clarifys why I believe that Amazon is ... oh well, at least their pbook-shop is rather good and fast-delivering... The Kindle .. I have said my part.

Oh well, apparently Amazon has a very brain-dead marketing (more to say would be rude...) and design team, I guess they give nothing about consumer-opinions (they have learned absolutely nothing from the last years) so I guess I will stop writing about the kindle. Saves your time and my nerves.

Last edited by tirsales; 11-19-2007 at 05:47 PM.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:48 PM   #25
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Two weeks ago they wouldn't "comment on rumors and speculation" about the Kindle -- Amazon has proven their ability to keep their collective mouth shut on this Kindle business: if it weren't for Engadget trawling the FCC files last year, we might well have been totally blind-sided by the thing.

I'm not saying they're doing it this time, and I'm not suggesting that it's so, only pointing out the facts that we don't really know and they've been good at not telling.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #26
CommanderROR
eink fanatic

Well. I'll also be leaving this sector for a while...means I can upgrade my computer after all...somebody please wake me if/when somebody finds out that people outside the US might also have an interst in ebooks...even if they are english...

My Girlfriend keeps on bugging me that I should get her some ebooks, but there are simply almost no german-speaking titles around, even on the darknet...apart from a small slection of classics at PG/manybooks...
Old 11-19-2007, 06:21 PM   #27
AlexC
Connoisseur
AlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enoughAlexC will become famous soon enough

Device: Apple iPad; iRex iLiad
I submitted a question about using the Kindle from Canada and just got a response back from Amazon. Basically, it can be used, in a limited fashion, if you have a US billing address. Content can be downloaded from the Amazon web site and transferred to the Kindle via USB:

"Hello from Amazon.com.

Thank you for writing to us about purchasing Kindle content while
traveling outside of the United States.

To successfully purchase digital content from the Amazon Kindle Store,
the 1-Click payment method listed on the Manage Your Kindle page must
have a United States billing address. Please make sure the billing
address you use for these purchases is listed as your United States
billing address.

Once the purchase is made, if you are outside of the United States it
will be necessary to download the content to your Kindle using your
USB connection with a computer which is logged into your Amazon.com
account.

Your Kindle comes with a USB cable to attach Kindle to your Windows or
Macintosh computer. When attached to your computer, your Kindle screen
displays a message that you are in USB Drive Mode.

To connect Kindle to your computer, follow these steps:

1. Plug the USB cable into an available USB port or a powered USB hub
on your computer.
2. Connect the USB cable to the USB port at the bottom of your Kindle.

When Kindle is connected to your computer, you will see three folders
in the main Kindle directory on your computer screen. You can drag and
drop files from folders located on your computer into the Kindle
directory.

Once your Kindle is connected via a USB connection it will be
necessary to download your purchase to your computer so they can be
transferred to your Kindle, please follow the instructions below to
complete this process.

TO START A DOWNLOAD FROM YOUR MEDIA LIBRARY ON AMAZON.COM:
1. Visit Your Media Library on Amazon.com (www.amazon.com/gp/library).
2. Locate the desired title on the Downloads tab.
3. Click the button to the right of the title that lists the desired
download location.

- "Download to computer" saves the file to your computer so you can
transfer it to your Kindle using the USB connection.

Information on this topic also appears on the Kindle Support pages at
this URL:

http://www.amazon.com/kindlesupport

I hope you found this information useful. Our goal is to help you get
the most out of your Kindle experience. If you need further
assistance, please contact customer support at 1-866-321-8851.

Please let us know if this e-mail resolved your question:

If yes, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-y?c=rbeedbta3312654471
If not, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/rsvp-n?c=rbeed...2654471&q=dgk1

Please note: this e-mail was sent from an address that cannot accept
incoming e-mail.

To contact us about an unrelated issue, please visit the Help section
of our web site.

Best regards,

Nick B
Amazon.com Customer Service
http://www.amazon.com"
AlexC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:18 PM   #28
Charbax
Addict
Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Charbax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They probably cannot produce enough Eink panels quickly enough to also sell them in Europe before Christmas. But I expect a EU version with a HSDPA/WiFi/none wireless switch sometime soon.
Charbax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 01:44 AM   #29
mrsp
Connoisseur
mrsp began at the beginning.

Device: palm T2
Hey guys

You're all in danger of hypocrisy - Europe is not the only thing outside the US!!! There's little old me down here in Australia and I know there are other Aussie posters. I will send them (Amazon I mean) an email as I agree with CommanderROR.

Interesting, their response for Canada. On the bongus website, they say that if you sign up with them, you can add their US address ot your non-US credit card as a second address and they claim that it will process as if it were a US credit card. If this works, then it would be possible to use Kindle from outside the US. I am also curious about whether Connect bookstore would work too. I haven't tried as I don't have a device but if someone would like to experiment....

Personally, I don't like the idea of needing a contract with a phone company to use the wireless feature. Standard wifi that lets you use hotspots and your home internet connection is far better. Where I live, one phone company has a virtual monopoly and we pay through the nose. Its far cheaper to download over home internet than anything else.

For those people who are motivated by reading more than by gadgets, the $399 outlay plus the phone contract plus the cost of the actual content just don't make it very competitive with the alternative widely available and universally compatible device we have now - good 'ol paper.

On the other hand, its still cheaper than a cybook for me so if the US billing address on credit card can be worked out, I would seriously consider getting one. Although by the same logic, if it works for Connect then the sony is the better buy right now.

I think it will be interesting to see what the next 12 months brings from Sony and everyone else including from providers outside the US in terms of devices and also what all these new devices and new ebook stores do in terms of improving content.
mrsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2007, 02:15 AM   #30
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattimatt View Post
To me some parts of the Kindle idea seem cool but other aspects of this device based DRM look scary. Perhaps they will sell it in Europe at some later date but for now I'm very happy with my two European devices (Cybook and iLiad). I think we should support the European initiative and not even consider asking for a Kindle on the European market at least for some time. Let's see how it plays out.
I agree with Mattimatt.
At the moment, for readers outside the US, the Kindle is irrelevant. I wonder if it would even get past the EU's anti-competition regulations in its current form.
If it is seen as a threat to indigineous booksellers there'll be a lot of resistance.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote