Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Question New PRS-650: Strange behaviour (red LED on, battery drained)

Hi,

I have my 650 for some days now. Yesterday evening when coming home, I had the following situation, when I took the 650 out of my bag:

- The red charging LED was lit
- no reaction on power switch or any buttons
- screen blank (i have no "screensaver"-picture configured)

Only a soft reset helped.

=> Battery was drained down to on block (it was fully charged in the morning).

Now the system behaves properly again.

Has anyone had a similar behaviour with its 650 (or 350)?

Regards
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:11 AM   #2
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
No, I haven't seen that. Definitely strange.

I would ignore it this once and see what happens. If it happens again, I'd return it for another one.

The device comes with a stock photo as the screensaver. So, if you didn't configure anything, you should still have that. Did you remove all screensavers?
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Hi,

I have my 650 for some days now. Yesterday evening when coming home, I had the following situation, when I took the 650 out of my bag:

- The red charging LED was lit
- no reaction on power switch or any buttons
- screen blank (i have no "screensaver"-picture configured)

Only a soft reset helped.

=> Battery was drained down to on block (it was fully charged in the morning).

Now the system behaves properly again.

Has anyone had a similar behaviour with its 650 (or 350)?

Regards
I had something like that happen during the first week I had mine. I've had it about a month now.

When I get new stuff, I tend to load them up as much as possible to see what they'll handle. I think on mine the battery indicator hadn't adjusted itself yet and the indexing of the files was actually draining it more than it was showing. Looked like it had a full charge, but then went dead and needed a full charge again.

Now it seems to show a more realistic battery measurement. If I fill up a SD card and the internal memory, it pulls a lot of power re-indexing, and I can see it on the display now.

On mine, I can only think that the display needed to be calibrated with actual use. Maybe your's just needed to do something similar.

My only problem now is with SD card use. Is it really realistic to give people SD card access only to have the number of files bog down the machine so much? I wish we had a hack for the 650, like we did for the other, so it wouldn't index what's on the card.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by edbro View Post
Did you remove all screensavers?
No, I just deactivated them in the Settings. Somehow I am to oldschool to have a sleeping device show a picture

I will keep an eye on this and keep you posted.

Last edited by rasbadar; 11-25-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: typo
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasbadar View Post
Somehow I am to oldschool to have a sleeping device show a picture
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert