Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #1
nookman
nookman began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd
Question nook simple sdcard calibre format

Hi,
I'm using (2) Nook Simple toch readers with no problems...but wanted to add an SDcard to expand the storage. I use Calibre. A tick seems to be just load a few to the main memory of the nook, then load the large amount to the "Card A", thus leaving house keeping room on the main storage. This works fine, all books load etc. Then after a few minutes or power cycles/sleep/wakeups, the nook tells me the SD card needs to be formatted!. But sometimes power cycling the nook brings all books back. And even so, if I attempt to format the SDCARD with the NOOK itself, it will fail. The SDcards I used a brand new, 1 being a 16 gig Sandisk (class 6) the other a 32 gig Kingston Class 10.. Same results in both nooks. Tried all variants of nook FW from 1.1 thru latest. Even obtained the latest PC based Format Utility from the SDCARD foundation and formatted /tested on my PC first. No help at all.

So, it's not the SDcards, no a specific Nook simple HW fail or FW version...and so...I have a suspicion that the Nook Simple intenal design HW or firmware is faulty? Comments..ideas. Anyone have 100% good luck? If so, which exact model /brand SD card. Both Nooks are within warranty, so if this is an issue...I make them "eat em"! Nook tech says "use Adobe" to load the books (most are all unprotected purchased tech books) and they work 100% well in the main memory of the nooks, and also my nook color and ipad..besides, I don't think the adobe app allows a choice of loading to the SD card.

YIKES....HELP PLEASE
nookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #2
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
I think it's unlikely that both of your Nooks are faulty hardware-wise (unless they are both refurbished via same source).

I'd suggest that you reformat the cards using your PC and make sure that they are formatted to FAT32.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
nookman
nookman began at the beginning.

Device: nook hd
Thx...I agree with your premise...but I already made these steps, first using the native windows XP (.rt click format full to Fat 32) and later using the dedicated erase/verify/format program from the sdcard foundation. In all cases, after these staps, the cards were immeditely recognized by th nook and in turn by Caibre (latest Ver) and I was able to upload epub books to either and both the main memory and "card A (sdcard).

Later, by selecting the menus of the Nooks, all books appeared, incuding cover art and opened and could be viewed normaly. Powered cycled the Nooks a few times, still all ok...then in the middle of browsing contents of the nook (not even connected to the PC), suddenly the nook reported the Sdcard needed to be formatted!

Sometimes, Full (hard power cycled returned the contents of the SDCARD), other times not. Sometimes, when the nook flashed that the SDCARD needed to be formatted, if I tried , the format wouuld fail...and a message would say so.

Both Nooks are new Nooks (not refurbed) working perfectly for months. To add a final insult.. this morining I took my perfefectly working Nook color and tried one of these SDCARDS (as rejected by the Nook simple models), and the Color Nook refused to format it!

So, I can only imagine that either 1.) the nook Simples are trashing brand new SDCARDS and they were not cheap ones), factory sealed from NewEgg) or all (many nooks has issues with sdcards (timing or???)...

In my defense, I'm an Electr. Engineer with 30+ years on PCs etc...So, I'm really interested as to what's going on here? Anyone??
nookman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nook sdcards lose content