Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 09-22-2008, 11:07 AM   #46
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Actually, not so much. The DR1000 to me is basically the same as the Kindle/Sony. The main difference is the size it geared toward PDFs which makes me call it a "document" reader rather than an eBook reader. While technically it can read eBooks I think most people will be getting it mainly to be able to read PDFs that are formatted for an 8.5x11 or 8.5x14 page.

So, other than the size I think the technology is pretty similar.

BOb
To me, the iLiad and DR1000 are leaps and bounds better than the Kindle/Sony. The larger screen, writing support, wifi and bluetooth(!!!) support, folder hierarchy, etc.

These devices are more of a paper replacement than the other ebook devices.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:08 AM   #47
Nergal
eBuchReisender
Nergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litterNergal doesn't litter

Device: Palm Tungsten-E, iLiad
I really really hope that the software will be available for the older versions soon, too. Oh please iRex - that would be soo cool!

Last edited by Nergal; 09-22-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Nergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 11:11 AM   #48
Robbeli
E-ventually
Robbeli doesn't litterRobbeli doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700 + iRex iLiad
I was present at the presentation this afternoon.
Some answers.
The iLiad 1000 looks good and feels very, very light. It's all made of plastic, no metal parts. The screen is still glass, but I witnessed a crash test, it fell from a meter high or so, and no problems afterwards.
The battery has a capacity of 1.300 mAh. The processor can hibernate down to 0 MHz. The operating system is based on Linux 2.6.x and is Open Source, apart from the display routines an so.
There are no viewers for office documents yet. Irex expects third parties will come up with them soon.
Robbeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM   #49
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapoira View Post
have you seen the images http://irextechnologies.com/dr1000images/
it's a new content listener
Ooo shiny! I wonder what the chances are that the new interface will be coming for the iLiad too?
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #50
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Btw, Justread.de estimates to have the 1000S in stock on September 29th (next Monday).

http://www.justread.de/shop/product_...der-1000S.html
Well, it seems, we will be getting them on October 1st, but we will get only limited stock, so we ship orders on a first in first out basis. Inside germany the DR1000S should be delivered to you the on October 3rd latest. I really hope, that those shipping dates are correct
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 11:16 AM   #51
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbeli View Post
The screen is still glass, but I witnessed a crash test, it fell from a meter high or so, and no problems afterwards.
This is impressive. I assume since they were giving this fall presentation, they expected it not to break. Which says a lot about the product... they must have done something very well to protect the screen from breaking - considering how easy it is to break the screen of, let's say, the Sony Reader.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #52
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbeli
The screen is still glass, but I witnessed a crash test, it fell from a meter high or so, and no problems afterwards..
Admit it!

You punshed the CEO from Irex in the back, only to see how the device would react on gravity forces and ground contact

Last edited by joblack; 09-22-2008 at 11:20 AM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:20 AM   #53
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbeli View Post
The screen is still glass, but I witnessed a crash test, it fell from a meter high or so, and no problems afterwards.

But, did they hit it with a shoe?

Also, will it withstand a ninja squirrel attack?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:21 AM   #54
Robbeli
E-ventually
Robbeli doesn't litterRobbeli doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-700 + iRex iLiad
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Admit it!

You punshed the CEO from Irex in the back, only to see how the device would react on gravity forces and ground contact
As a matter of fact I didn't have to, he was the one who dropped the device without anyone near
Robbeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:24 AM   #55
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
It seems to me that whether this is a leap or a nudge depends on what the individual person is looking for.

If you're looking for an e-book reader, it's a nudge, maybe even a step back, because it's arguably less suited for that application than the various existing devices, unless you need really big print, of course.

If you're looking for a professional device, Adam's document reader, or nekokami's info pad, then, depending on how the features actually shake out, it's quite possibly a rather large bound forward.

I'm looking for the latter, as I have a ebook reader that I'm quite happy with, but something for note taking in a meeting, or reading manuals or document on the go, that's something I'd really like to have and don't. For my wife, something to grade papers on (she's an English professor) would be a major boon. A lot of whether it would work for those purposes depends on exactly what formats it handles, how it handles them, and whether I can get them back onto a PC from the device in a usable format for downstream stuff (i.e. returning said papers, and putting said meeting notes into another app such as MS OneNote). Probably if I can get them back to a PC at all, with text and ink combined and intact, the rest can be handled easily enough.

Very interesting indeed.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #56
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Ooo shiny! I wonder what the chances are that the new interface will be coming for the iLiad too?
I suspect not. One could hope, but it's a different hardware platform, and I suspect that programs aren't going to be binary compatible. The iLiad's contentlister is tied to the hardware, so putting something else there isn't an easy process.

If they plan to keep selling iLiad's, then maybe we'll see further updates. But I wonder if the iLiad is going to be a dead platform.
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #57
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The iLiad's contentlister is tied to the hardware
How so?
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #58
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
OK, so this sounds like a nice document viewer, for reading at home it might also be nice (a bit big for reading on the go though) and I think many comic lovers will be rather fond of the bigger screen as well.

One thing worries me thought:

Battery Life (big surprise there for those who know me...).

It is stated as 24 hours, the original Iliad was stated at 21 hours back when it was launched. Now, I just got a new mobile phone which runs a 528Mhz Qualcomm processor. When in Standby (but connected to network) it will last for 360-460 (depending on the band) hours on a 1350mAh battery. Now, if the rated 24 hours of the Iliad successor are the idle time, then I'm seriously worried that they did not do suspend this time either...

24 hours of continuos page-flipping would be cool though...

For business users this would not be a big problem, but for somebody who does mainly leasure reading it would be a rather big letdown...especially if the booting times are as slow as on the Iliad.

But we'll see, I guess somebody will be able to tell us more soon.

Has anyone here asked for a review model yet?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #59
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
Has anyone here asked for a review model yet?
Yes.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #60
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
And? Any answer yet?
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote