Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Reading and Management

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Old DRM PDF

Hi,

I bought a couple of eBooks about 3 or 4 years ago to read in Adobe PDF Reader. They are DRM and you have to register your PDF Reader to view them. I can read them on my laptop if I so want, but I was wondering if there was a way to get them onto my new Astak Pocket Pro. I tried throwing them at Adobe's Digitial Editions software, but it says they are unreadable.

Any ideas?
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
Hi,

I bought a couple of eBooks about 3 or 4 years ago to read in Adobe PDF Reader. They are DRM and you have to register your PDF Reader to view them. I can read them on my laptop if I so want, but I was wondering if there was a way to get them onto my new Astak Pocket Pro. I tried throwing them at Adobe's Digitial Editions software, but it says they are unreadable.

Any ideas?
You need to install ADE on the Laptop that you can currently read the PDFs on.
ADE will then migrate the files to the new DRM scheme that is used with ADE and all the RMSDK mobile devices. You have until Dec. 15th to do this. After Dec. 15th the migration will no longer work.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:11 PM   #3
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
You need to install ADE on the Laptop that you can currently read the PDFs on.
ADE will then migrate the files to the new DRM scheme that is used with ADE and all the RMSDK mobile devices. You have until Dec. 15th to do this. After Dec. 15th the migration will no longer work.
Grrrr, the PDF reader on the laptop can no longer open the files now that I've installed ADE.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:25 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

ADE doesn't change anything as far as Acrobat or Reader is concerned, however n the worst case you can find the original files in the restore folder under the (My) Digital Editions folder.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #5
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Does this only affect eBooks? I have pay vouchers, manuals, and other stuff saved as Adobe Acrobat 6.0 files. I don't know if any of them have DRM. Is there a way to tell?
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #6
omro
Addict

I try to open the pdf, it tells me I have to open it with ADE which tells me it cant open the file and to go back to where I downloaded it from
Old 12-07-2009, 10:41 AM   #7
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The DRM from the Adobe Acrobat 6 + 7 (and the Readers) could differ from the ADE. If you have an Adobe ID (or a M$-Passport) you can deregister and should be able to convert it to ADE.

It's the best to call Adobe for further assistance.

By the way the decryption could be the same but Adobe 6 / 7 saves their keys in a file and not in the registry.

It's best to convert all your library to ADE .. there you have more support anyway.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
I try to open the pdf, it tells me I have to open it with ADE
This means that you are using Acrobat/Reader 8 or 9, and not Acrobat 6 or 7 like you previously indicated.

Quote:
which tells me it cant open the file and to go back to where I downloaded it from
The precondition for ADE to be able to successfully migrate the books is that you must be able to view the book in Acrobat 6/7 (whatever you already have installed). If you are unable to do so, you will not be able to migrate the books, and your only recourse at that point is to contact the seller of the book to see if they will let you redownload it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldilocks
Does this only affect eBooks?
Yes, and more explicitly only PDFs purchased over year ago that used Adobe Content Server 3 (instead of the newer Adobe Content Server 4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack
It's the best to call Adobe for further assistance.
No it's not, as Adobe doesn't offer phone support for ADE. If you call Adobe, then at best you will get a pointer to the support site where you can submit a web case. However given the Adobe forum complaints about this recently, most likely you will get a really bad runaround.

Also as I said before, for this particular matter there's not a thing that Adobe can do. Either you can view the files in Acrobat 6/7 and therefore the files can be converted, or you can't, in which case there isn't anything Adobe can do about it.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
omro
Addict

Oh dear does that mean I have to find a version of Adobe 6/7 to install on my computer just to see?
Old 12-07-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Oh dear does that mean I have to find a version of Adobe 6/7 to install on my computer just to see?
Unfortunately it's worse than that. The activation server for Acrobat 6/7 (but not ADE) has had new activations turned off since April 30th (2009), so if you don't already have a machine with Acrobat 6/7 installed and activated, you will not be able to do so now.

This means that those files are worthless to you now.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lester View Post
This means that those files are worthless to you now.
Isn't DRM just wonderful
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #12
omro
Addict

I don't mind DRM, I just think it's crap that you buy something and it's lost to you.

Is there anyone I can talk to at Adobe about this?
Old 12-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Is there anyone I can talk to at Adobe about this?
You have been. Jim Lester works for Adobe.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #14
omro
Addict

Ah, and there's no way I can email said files to Adobe and get them reDRMd for ADE?
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #15
Jim Lester
Evangelist

Quote:
Ah, and there's no way I can email said files to Adobe and get them reDRMd for ADE?
I said this above, but I'll repeat it: If you do not have an instance of Acrobat 6/7 that you can view the files on (and this is important because it means that the keys are available), then the files are unrecoverable by anyone including Adobe.

Your only recourse is to talk to original vendor (if possible) and ask for a redownload (again if possible).