Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2013, 12:00 PM   #1
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Same apps in disguise (?) in Apps Store !

I've just been looking in the Apps Store for an app that lists new free Kindle books.

I was suprised to find 2 apps that, although they have slightly different icons, appear to be identical inside, looking at their "Screenshots".

I was even more suprised when I found 5 apps like that, all by the same software developer !!

Is it a common practice to have multiple version of the same app in the App Store ?
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I don't know how common it is but yes I have seen this before on other apps. Some may be transitioning out or for iPhone vs. iPad vs. universal vs. free vs. paid. but then again some just have slightly different features.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I would advise you not to give money to those type of developers. They are no good for the ecosystem. There's no legitimate developer who has 5 of the same app. They're just using cheaply bought templates, tweaking them, and publishing them to the store.

I'll give you an alternative way of doing it.

There's this site called IFTTT that lets you create "recipes" for different things. You use a "channel" that communicates to another "channel" to automatically do tasks. In this case, you'd want to set up a RSS channel to talk to your e-mail, or a $5 app called Pushover. Either way, you'd get notified whenever new freebies are posted via RSS instantly.

Here are some pre-made recipes for Kindle deals:
https://ifttt.com/recipes/search?ac=...age=3&q=kindle

Best of all, you can create them to work with various sources. So you could even get an update whenever any of the writers here at MR post their freebies too.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/rss.php
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
mXb
Addict
mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mXb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ex-Kobo Touch-Nook Simple Touch-Kobo Mini-Retina Mini
Thanks for your replies.

Maybe there is a legit reason for 2 or even 3, but 5 ? Seems too many...
mXb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I think it's mostly spamming: creating apps that are essentially the same but with different descriptions and keywords.

Lumen Spark has recently released (or at least I noticed it recently) several versions of their app Lumen Trails, with different icon colors and different descriptions, in different store categories. They say in the description that it's to allow people to have different icons to manage different things, or simply to choose their color. Hmmm. Most of them are priced at 2.69 € but it looks like at any given time, at least one of them is free. Strange policy.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote