Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-04-2013, 04:23 PM   #11506
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
OK - so it seems my quiz question about dead bodies has killed the thread!
The victims have for a long time been an underestimated part of mystery fiction. They are ordinarily just "pieces" in a game, disposable pawns that the author cleverly has positioned strategically on the game board. And they are disposed of without the reader getting to know them. The murderer always have the reader's and the author's attention; it's the killer's reasons, the killer's motives, the killer's attempt to keep the truth from the detective and the reader, and of course the killer's psychology. This while the victim rarely gets any attention at all, except in finding the motive and the method for the murder.

Thanks for making such a great quiz from the classical victims. Even though I have read most of Dame Christie's books, I don't remember them all. I put a great effort in forgetting as much as I can from detective books, because then I can reread the book at a later time, still getting a thrill from it.

For the time being I don't have time to come up with a clever new quiz. So if anyone has a good and clever quiz to ask, the floor is all yours
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM   #11507
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
It was a great idea for a quiz, poohbear. Just a shame I read all my Agatha Christie's over 40 years ago, and as I have trouble remembering what happened half an hour ago, I had no chance on this one.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #11508
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Here's a quickie until someone has a challenging quiz for us:

I spit like bacon, am made with an egg,
I have plenty of backbone but lack good legs,
I peel like an onion but still remain whole,
I'm long like a flagpole, yet fit in a hole.

What am I?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #11509
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
A snake!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #11510
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I think you'd have to be more specific, as not all snakes lay eggs or spit.

A spitting cobra.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:24 PM   #11511
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
A snake!
That's all I was looking for. If a herpetologist wants to be more specific, they can educate us.

You're up for the next quiz.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:32 PM   #11512
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Many snakes give birth to live young. Rattlesnakes fall into this category which—for those in the know—ruins the surprise that accompanies the "Rattlesnake Eggs" gag gift. Among the giants, boas produce live birth and pythons lay eggs.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-04-2013 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:15 AM   #11513
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Many snakes give birth to live young. Rattlesnakes fall into this category which—for those in the know—ruins the surprise that accompanies the "Rattlesnake Eggs" gag gift. Among the giants, boas produce live birth and pythons lay eggs.
I too was under the impression that snakes laid eggs. The fact that some give live births what does that tell us about their evolution? Are they in fact two different species?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:28 AM   #11514
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A quickie maths question:

I have some cash in my wallet. I spend 20% of it, and then I spend 20% of the remainder. I've spent £36 in total. How much did I have have to start with?
Old 04-05-2013, 06:33 AM   #11515
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

£100 from start
Old 04-05-2013, 06:41 AM   #11516
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Exactly! Over to you.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #11517
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I too was under the impression that snakes laid eggs. The fact that some give live births what does that tell us about their evolution? Are they in fact two different species?
They share a common ancestor, like we do with chimps and bonobos, but are indeed separate species.

Speaking of evolution, check out this striking example of convergent evolution. Emerald tree boas found in the New World. Green tree pythons are an entirely separate Old World species. Outside of the fact that one gives birth to live baby snakes and the other lays eggs, can you tell the difference? They evolved on different continents to fill the same niche in nature.

I'm putting the thumbnails in a spoiler tag because some folks are disturbed by even photos of these remarkable animals. Click on either image to enlarge.

Spoiler:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Emerald-Boa.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	959.6 KB
ID:	103955 Click image for larger version

Name:	green_tree_python_by_basticelis-d56me9z.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	689.8 KB
ID:	103956
Old 04-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #11518
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic

Well, the only thing would be the shade if green, but that could off course be due to the lighting.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:07 PM   #11519
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Hard to believe those two are no more closely related than orangutangs and humans.

While we're waiting for your question, here's a quick one to keep things moving:

As Dracula he terrified an entire town until his reign of terror was ended by a stake through the heart. But the devil is not mocked, and 13 years later he returned to bare his fangs upon a new set of victims. All in all, his life spanned three centuries, but he was not always known as Count Dracula. What was his given name at birth? (For purposes of this quiz, I'll accept either the original or anglicized version.)

This is just for fun. Kumabjorn is still up.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-05-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #11520
Iznogood
Guru
Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Iznogood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, kindle paperwhite
I believe the character of Dracula was based upon the russian dictator Vlad, but you probably mean Draculas birth name in fiction?
Iznogood is offline   Reply With Quote