Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-16-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 7"
Website for author research?

Does anybody know of a website (the answer may even be MobileRead itself, in some section I haven't discovered yet) where authors can go and ask other authors questions about things in the real world they don't have experience with?

For a story I'm writing, I need some details about high school football (in America, in the 1990s). I've never played high school football, I know nothing about it. I don't want to get the details wrong and look foolish. Where can I go to ask somebody?

(BTW, I don't want a football site - that would only help me with this question. I'm looking for a site where anybody can ask anything, because I know I'm going to need more help with other stuff in the future.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ravenswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
MobileRead does, indeed, serve as a resource for writers who need information from other writers for research advice for their writing. In fact, that's one of the very real and viable services that this forum provides.

The Writers' Forum allows a place for writers to get together and talk about "writerly concerns" without indulging in self-promotional tactics, which - as every writer on MobileRead now knows - is allowed in only one place, our Self-Promotions Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:23 PM   #3
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Another place where you can ask questions of that sort is over at NaNoWriMo. They have forums for many different genre's of writing where a person can post a question about some information that they are searching for about writing and may get some good replies back from people who either know the info. or know of a good resource online to find it. http://www.nanowrimo.org
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
DarkScribe
Apprentice Curmudgeon.
DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite, Touch, Paperwhite, Sony, and Nook.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenswd View Post
Does anybody know of a website (the answer may even be MobileRead itself, in some section I haven't discovered yet) where authors can go and ask other authors questions about things in the real world they don't have experience with?

For a story I'm writing, I need some details about high school football (in America, in the 1990s). I've never played high school football, I know nothing about it. I don't want to get the details wrong and look foolish. Where can I go to ask somebody?

(BTW, I don't want a football site - that would only help me with this question. I'm looking for a site where anybody can ask anything, because I know I'm going to need more help with other stuff in the future.)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Why would you want to limit research to information from other writers? The best answers are more likely to be found in the area of interest, not from any form of third party. Google, Google Scholar or Wolfram Alpha are good starting points.
DarkScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Ravenswd
Enthusiast
Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravenswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
MobileRead does, indeed, serve as a resource for writers who need information from other writers for research advice for their writing. In fact, that's one of the very real and viable services that this forum provides.
Oh, OK... I guess in the "General Discussions" or "Writers' Corner" forums? Sorry. OK, I'll try that. Thank-you.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:38 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Oh, OK... I guess in the "General Discussions" or "Writers' Corner" forums? Sorry. OK, I'll try that. Thank-you.

No, you've misinterpreted what I'm saying: I'm saying that THIS forum (Writers' Forum) is, indeed, the correct forum to ask this kind of question.

We do not allow cross-postings in different forums.

You are in the correct forum for your question.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:40 AM   #7
Ravenswd
Enthusiast

Got it now! Thanks!
Old 10-18-2012, 11:30 AM   #8
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
Quote:

Um... Don't you need to work a bit harder? I don't mean to be rude, but this does sound a little cut-and-paste-ish. I'm not sure that a couple of forum questions is going to lead to a very convincing story, particularly if you're starting from nothing.

How about watching a few films with a footballing theme? A fairly painless process (depending on the film, of course). You might be able to take on some of the atmosphere - the crowd, the locker room, the coach pep talk. A bit of radio might be good too, for the language. There are lots of stations you can access via the web.

Or you might try a slightly different angle. You can sometimes paper over gaps in technical knowledge with universal personal detail. For example, I don't know anything about football either, but does the helmet make your head feel like a pumpkin on a stalk, the way a motorcycle helmet does? Do the support bandages on your knees and elbows give you a rash? When you take the gum shield out, does it leave a thread of spit on your chin the way false teeth do (but let's not go there...)?

Last edited by MartinC; 10-18-2012 at 02:14 PM. Reason: To be less snarky...
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
[...](BTW, I don't want a football site - that would only help me with this question. I'm looking for a site where anybody can ask anything, because I know I'm going to need more help with other stuff in the future.)[...]
A single site that attempts to provide expert, realistic information on all subjects ... that sounds a lot like Wikipedia. Or you could do it the old fashioned way and go to the single site that authors have used for a great many years ... the library.

If you want personal experience you're going to have to go to the source and there will be no single place where you can do this across all subjects - unless you mean the pub (the bar/tavern pick your phrase). In most of the pubs I know there are always people ready to offer their expert opinion on every subject - it's almost as reliable as picking a random site on the 'net.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
There are a lot of writing sites around that will have this. I used to hang out at Forward Motion - I think it's now FMWriters - that had a big and diverse following and a lot of random questions posted. I still check back every now and again, although I'm no longer very active over there. Nothing to do with the site, just moved onto other things.
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Anna Drake
Zealot
Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anna Drake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think the best trick would be to talk to a football expert. Your local high school coach might be worth approaching. Or if you know someone who played footfall in high school or college, they might be another source. I met with a local detective when writing my last book. He was very helpful. Or you could write the scene and then find an expert to review it. That way you only have to deal with the specifics of what you need and not an entire world of info. Plus, I love web searches. You might need to narrow the topic a little though to have good luck there.
Anna Drake is offline   Reply With Quote