Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 04-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #211
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I'm not sure you would put it in the category of SF, but I find Flatland, by Edwin Abbott an interesting read.
I would put it in the category of SF, since it explores the concepts of dimensions, and imagines life in a two-dimensional world (Flatland), and a one-dimensional one (Lineland). It was made into an animated film with voice overs by Martin Sheen and Kristine Bell, and was also a satire on stratified Victorian society.

There's a lovely little homage to it in Madeleine L'Engle's _A Wrinkle in Time_, where the protagonists, Meg and her little brother, and their friends Mrs. Who, Mrs. What, and Mrs. Which find themselves briefly in a two dimensional world. They must leave immediately, as Meg and her brother cannot survive in that environment. (Mrs. Who, What, and Which aren't exactly human, and have no such constraints. "It was such fun being flat!" laments Mrs. What as they leave.)

I simply wouldn't call it "hard" SF.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:29 PM   #212
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I didn't know about the movie. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM   #213
grumpy3b
Banned
grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.grumpy3b is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle 2 (x2), Kindle 1, a couple old PDAs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
Two books I can think of off the top of my head are, "The Bradbury Report" Steven Polansky and "The Road" by Cormac Macarthy
thanks for that title. I never heard of it before. I have been intending to get "Never Let Me Go", by Kazuo Ishiguro, to the top of my TBR pile and now it would seem to add The Bradbury Report ahead of it will make for an interesting double-feature about the whole ethics and pitfalls of cloning taken to the extreme or absurd level. Should be fun.
grumpy3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 02:55 PM   #214
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

The books from this thread alone will keep me occupied for a long time.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #215
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
I didn't know about the movie. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.
You're welcome. I encountered it by accident, and was tickled that someone made it at all. There have been a few short film and experimental versions, but this is a full length feature.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-11-2011, 04:02 PM   #216
speedlever
Fanatic

Looks like it's a specialty DVD and not available on Netflix. Rats.
Old 06-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #217
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Anybody read Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson? Got good reviews and, apparently, Spielberg is going to make a film of it.

Last edited by MickeyC; 06-12-2011 at 07:15 AM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #218
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Anybody read Robopocalypse by Daniel Wilson? Got good reviews and, apparently, Spielberg is going to make a film of it.
Still out of my price range, but it does look interesting. I did find one less than glowing review that also makes me hesitate.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 08:45 AM   #219
speedlever
Fanatic

Same here on the price. Too expensive at 12.99 for me.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:21 AM   #220
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hmmm, thanks for the tip. Based on that and the price, I think I'll give it a pass at least for the time being.

And you know, since Speilberg is going to make it into a movie, he may have, um, 'encouraged' reviewers to give it high praise thus building excitement about the upcoming film.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 09:55 AM   #221
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III

Awesome thread - I too shall be quite busy I think...
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:41 AM   #222
cearbhallain
Groupie
cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cearbhallain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rathecs View Post
. Starship troopers is another gem. You would think the book was just horrible after the movie and its sequel, but the book is well thought out and paints a great picture of space military in the future.
Many of Heinlein's juveniles are modestly hard. I remember thinking that Rocket Ship Galileo told me more about the practical realities of navigation than was necessary for the narrative.
cearbhallain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:05 PM   #223
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
It's the third time I've seen people recommending Stross' "Singularity Sky". That's it, just bought to my android kindle. Only thing bad is that I'm really wishing to finish "King Solomon's Mines", "The adventures of Sherlock Holmes", "Accelerando", "Arsène Lupin" and "The Scarlet Pimpernel" first.

unfortunately, I think it'll fit in between those...
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:14 PM   #224
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by cearbhallain View Post
Many of Heinlein's juveniles are modestly hard. I remember thinking that Rocket Ship Galileo told me more about the practical realities of navigation than was necessary for the narrative.
I tried to read his Moon is a Harsh Mistress recently. Just awful!! I like Heinlein but not this!!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #225
speedlever
Fanatic

I was always a Heinlein fan. And Asimov and Clarke. I cut my SF teeth on Tom Swift and Lucky Starr books.