Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-29-2010, 12:52 PM   #181
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I don't know if it qualifies as hard Scifi, but yesterday I started Old Man's War by John Scalzi. Nice read, somewhat humorous. I'm really enjoying it a lot.
It's not quite hard SF, but certainly has enough advanced technology. You can put on on the same shelf with Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_ and Joe Haldeman's _The Forever War_, though it has some novel twists on the premise.

It's also the first book of a series, and don't assume you know what's going on. Scalzi has a knack for not going where you think he's going, and creating a world that isn't quite what you think it is.

He's doing other things at the moment, but there could be other stories set in that universe down the road.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:26 PM   #182
nyrath
Addict
nyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfoldednyrath reads XML... blindfolded

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
It's not quite hard SF, but certainly has enough advanced technology. You can put on on the same shelf with Heinlein's _Starship Troopers_ and Joe Haldeman's _The Forever War_, though it has some novel twists on the premise.
Don't forget John Steakley's _Armor_
nyrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-29-2010, 02:00 PM   #183
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrath View Post
Don't forget John Steakley's _Armor_
You're right. I did. Steakley burbled about getting a praising note form Heinlein about it, where RAH talked about "the second time I read it." If RAH could be sufficiently impressed to read it again, he figured he had something.
______
Dennis
Old 10-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #184
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
Tor books were available. You may recall their run up to the official launch of Tor.com, where they offered an ebook a week to people who signed up on their mailing list.

They don't seem to be available now. The last statement I recall from Patrick Neilsen-Hayden, a Tor Senior Editor and Manager of Science Fiction, was that Tor's US parent, Macmillan, was digitizing the entire Tor catalogue, and things would be forthcoming over time. He also said the on-again/off-again deal with Baen was on-again, and was at the stage of dotting Is and crossing Ts by lawyers for both sides.

We haven't seen Tor's stuff appear on Webscriptions, and I suspect the hold up is on Tor corporate parent Holtzbrink's end. I don't think it's rooted in whether DRM is used the way the former hold up was. Holtzbrink is a global publisher with a number of imprints, and may simply feel they should do their own ebook distribution and set up the required channels, rather than using Webscriptions. I'd say they are still feeling their way, and trying to craft a comprehensive strategy across all their imprints. (Pablo Defendini, former Producer at Tor.com, freely admitted that what he was doing was seen as research by Holtzbrink, and his actions had visibility within the parent company far beyond Tor. Pablo wasn't a Tor employee, though he began as one: his boss when he ran Tor.com was a Macmillan VP in charge of their digital initiatives.)
______
Dennis
Very interesting info Dennis. We can hope this gets fixed as Tor has so many back catalog titles I would love to re-read as ebooks plus some interesting newer authors and titles as well. it is a shame corporate politics gets in the way of what, to me, appears to be just a common sense approach and a natural relationship with Baen/Webscriptions.
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #185
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
A heads-up-- I just noticed that there is a 4th Ringworld prequel book out now:

http://www.amazon.com/Betrayer-of-Wo.../dp/B003P9VZG6
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #186
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Turing Evolved by David Kitson

Recently I have found very nice Hard Science Fiction book by an indie author David Kitson.

The book is about a guy that has just got kicked out of army. He used to be piloting a DEMON - antromorphic haptically controlled combat machine (and a great acronym - one of many present in a book). As a result he has implants that enable him to control fighting machines, connect to virtual reality environment or control heavy industrial machinery. The book picks up speed slowly, but there are quite a few unexpected turns.

I really enjoyed the book. It has got everything a good hard SF needs. Except for spaceships ;-)
The book very much reminds me of the Otherland tetralogy, but is shorter and simpler.

The book is available on Smashwords for free download
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34627

Disclaimer:
I do not know the author, I discovered the book a few days ago in his post on Slashdot.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 12:55 PM   #187
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for the Rec!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:48 PM   #188
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
Recently I have found very nice Hard Science Fiction book by an indie author David Kitson.

The book is about a guy that has just got kicked out of army. He used to be piloting a DEMON - antromorphic haptically controlled combat machine (and a great acronym - one of many present in a book). As a result he has implants that enable him to control fighting machines, connect to virtual reality environment or control heavy industrial machinery. The book picks up speed slowly, but there are quite a few unexpected turns.

I really enjoyed the book. It has got everything a good hard SF needs. Except for spaceships ;-)
The book very much reminds me of the Otherland tetralogy, but is shorter and simpler.

The book is available on Smashwords for free download
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34627
But no spaceships?? Poor show!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #189
Cyclops
Only need one eye to read
Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyclops ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C, Sony PRS-300, Nintendo DSi XL,
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
A heads-up-- I just noticed that there is a 4th Ringworld prequel book out now:

http://www.amazon.com/Betrayer-of-Wo.../dp/B003P9VZG6
Oh god, lets hope its better than the third book!
Cyclops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #190
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I believe the best Sci-Fi book is one that doesn't try to be sci-fi.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #191
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
I believe the best Sci-Fi book is one that doesn't try to be sci-fi.
Examples?
Old 04-03-2011, 12:53 AM   #192
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Examples?
Bridges of Madison County. Man was that some good sci-fi!

Okay, I don't know what he means, either.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:00 AM   #193
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Bridges of Madison County. Man was that some good sci-fi!

Okay, I don't know what he means, either.
Well, that's maybe right.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:37 PM   #194
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Tom Godwin

Tom Godwin is a Golden Age science fiction writer, five of whose stories are available for download from the Project Gutenberg Science Fiction bookshelf. He creates characters with greater psychological depth than many of his contemporaries, and still retains a sci-fi universe which is reasonably "hard". "The Nothing Equation" and "----Devious the Line of Duty" are fairly good examples. So far I've read four of the five and they're all interesting {though "The Helpful Hand of God" is on the sentimental side}. I'm going to read his novelette "Space Prison" next and see if it lives up to the others.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 03:25 PM   #195
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
Tom Godwin is a Golden Age science fiction writer, five of whose stories are available for download from the Project Gutenberg Science Fiction bookshelf. He creates characters with greater psychological depth than many of his contemporaries, and still retains a sci-fi universe which is reasonably "hard". "The Nothing Equation" and "----Devious the Line of Duty" are fairly good examples. So far I've read four of the five and they're all interesting {though "The Helpful Hand of God" is on the sentimental side}. I'm going to read his novelette "Space Prison" next and see if it lives up to the others.
A collection of Godwin's stuff is also available through Baen's Webscriptions: http://www.webscription.net//p-76-th...equations.aspx

This includes:
The Survivors
The Harvest
Brain Teaser
Mother Of Invention
—And Devious The Line Of Duty
Empathy
No Species Alone
The Gulf Between
The Cold Equations

It used to be part of the Baen Free Library, but no longer appears in that listing.
______
Dennis