Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
JLYates
Connoisseur
JLYates began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 900BC
Question not sure what to do Sony 900

I decided to be stupid and download the Sony Reader Library, the ADE and then was checking out one of the free ebook sites (I think manybooks). I wanted to download (my first try) a free book and so plugged in my reader to my computer.
It shows the circle with the line through it, and is stating not the disconnect.

I know that this can cause a malfunction and I also gather that it is charging my reader. Put, it really didn't need a charge and it has been showing that remark for seven hours now.

Is it locked? Froze or something? The last time I charged it from my computer, it only took three hours and that was three a few days ago and it hasn't been used since then.

So, am not sure what to do.

Janette
JLYates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
If I understand this correctly...

You have the Sony Reader Library open and your Sony connected to your computer.

It shows the do not disconnect on the screen of the Reader.

This is what I do...

Click the little "thingy" next to Reader in the left hand side of the Reader Library. That disconnects it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	disconnect.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	53647

Then I close the Reader Library, then finally I unplugged the USB.

It will show the spinning circle as it loads the file. Then it will show the menu and it is ready to use.

I hope this is what you meant and it was understandable.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 05:54 AM   #3
JLYates
Connoisseur

You got it, That was what I was trying to figure out. My son tried to help, he finally got frustrated, as I was and just pulled it out.

It seems to be find, but I don't ever intend to do that again.

What happens when the electricity goes out and the reader is plugged into the computer?

Doesn't happen a lot, but enough to make me wonder. We have LOTS of flickering of the electricty, on and off for a second or two for a minute or so. Enough to set times off on alarm clocks, microwave and, naturally, my computer. My son is yelling because it affects his playstation or other of his vidoe systems.

It can happen even when there are no storms right where I live. I shut down as soon as it is storming, even if it is across the river.

Janette
Old 06-20-2010, 06:02 AM   #4
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Yea!!! I'm glad it helped. I have no idea what happens if plugged into the computer when the electricity flicks. I charge my 505 on a surge protecter plugged into the wall mains (socket). I also try to decide what books are going to be put on my Reader and only load about 10 or less at a time (every 2 weeks), so it can be done quickly.

<The do not disconnect always shows on my Reader until I disconnect the Reader (by clicking the little thingy) and close out of the Library or ADE.>

Enjoy your Reader and have fun exploring the forums.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
You didn't mention your operating system but for the sake of discussion I'll assume Windows.

The reason it says not to disconnect it is that while it is still communicating with the Library software, there is the possibility that files have not been properly closed yet. If it were to be suddenly disconnected while files are not closed, one or more files could be only partially written, with data still buffered, and detaching the Reader could make a mess of those files.

So, if you're using the Sony software, do what Dreams said. If you're using Calibre, there's a little button for that which appears when you mouse over the device icon. If you're just using Windows Explorer to drag and drop files, you'll want to use the "safely remove hardware" dingus in the system tray.

The same is true, with different details, for *nix. How you dismount the device is specific to your OS, but one way or another, it needs to be dismounted so that all the files are tidied up and all proper housekeeping is done before you physically detach it.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #6
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
For the first month I had the device, I just pulled it out (they bought some PRS-900s at work and I was testing them out, so I figured... that eject button is not easy to spot, let's see what happens...).

Anyhow, nothing happened. It worked fine.

I wouldn't recommend doing it... you never know... yet, apparently, the 'eject' button is not needed.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vxf View Post
For the first month I had the device, I just pulled it out (they bought some PRS-900s at work and I was testing them out, so I figured... that eject button is not easy to spot, let's see what happens...).

Anyhow, nothing happened. It worked fine.

I wouldn't recommend doing it... you never know... yet, apparently, the 'eject' button is not needed.
It depends on whether any files have been left open. Usually, it appears, they haven't been. But every so often, we get someone posting about a problem which turns out to trace back to an unclosed file being corrupted.

My feeling, just like parking HD heads back in the DOS days, is "better safe than sorry".
Old 06-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #8
JLB22
Idiot
JLB22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi everyone, just joined this forum as it seems the best one out there for the sony 600 touch.

I have now had 3 e-book readers, the first was a Hanvon 516 which i still have but the refresh rate was very slow, then i decided to have a 6inch and had a cool-er pink which was horrible, took it back.

Then i had the sony 600 which i love, quick refresh, instant turn on, stays on the book i'm reading instead of having to spend 3 mins looking for the book like the cool-er.

BUT!!!!! I am having problems with the collections. i used the sony software it came with to start with and managed to put a few hundred books on and got them into the collections ok.

Then the next day i went to add a few new James Patterson and the whole lost disappeared and i was left with a few random collections (fiction plus unknown)that i had never put on in the first place as i do the collections by the Author.

After spending hours trying to put it right i went to bed at 1.30, the next morning the sony software would not load at all, it flashes and the little curser goes around a few times and nothing. I uninstalled it and reinstalled it many time trying all the suggestions on this site and other with no joy.

I then loaded Calibre and managed to get a few collections on the sony but to my great frustration there are other there and i can't find them to delete them. If they show up in Calibre on the left hand side under TAGS i can remove them, but these only show up on the SONY under collections, i have the ones i have put on like James Patterson and Jeffery Deaver but there are ones like Mystery & Detective which sound like a discriptive name but not one i have used.

HELP how do i get rid of them i cant find them on the 16GB SD card i have in the sony and i can't find them on Calibre, is my only hope to load the sony software onto my sons laptop and see if i can use the collection thing on it.

Any help would be great, thanks in advance, x
JLB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

Welcome to MobileRead!

Relax, we'll get your problem sorted out. I'd suggest, though, that you repost your question as a new topic, and then edit this one to say you've done so. I know some forums frown on people posting new topics with new questions, and expect them to tag them onto the end of some other discussion (even if it's years old), which I've never understood; seriously, is everyone expected to follow every single thread on the off chance someone's asked a new question in it or something? (sorry, that's a canned rant of mine) Thankfully, MR is not one of those forums. It's big on having a place for everything and everything in its place, which includes freedom -- even encouragement -- to start a topic for, well, anything that isn't a follow-up to an existing discussion. You'll be more likely to get help that way.

Also, it helps if you mention what operating system you're using and what version of all of the software involved (the Sony Library and calibre, in this case) -- there are sometimes version-dependent weirdnesses.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:53 AM   #10
JLB22
Idiot
JLB22 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Worldwalker thanks for the reply, i have windows 7 on my lap top and still can't get the sony software to load but last night i loaded it on to my old lap top which has XP on it and managed to get it up and running and there were all the odd collections i couldn't find on calibre or in the 16GB SD card.
Thankfully i have managed to get rid of them and finish off the collection and put some more books, i restricted it to around a 1000 because i didn't want to over load the software again.

I'll have ago at loading more later.

My only problem is now can't load it onto my laptop so that my next mission, i'll try to find a thread that is suitible or start a new one.

Thanks again for the reply.

JLB22
JLB22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB22 View Post
Thankfully i have managed to get rid of them and finish off the collection and put some more books, i restricted it to around a 1000 because i didn't want to over load the software again.
You didn't overload any software with what you did. This is what happens when you play musical software to manage books on your device.

If you like the Sony software to manage your books then keep using it. If you don't like it then use calibre but understand that the cleanest way to make the shift is to remove all your books from your device then take a couple of minutes sending them back to the reader from within calibre.

Personally I chose not to use the Sony software to ever send books to my device, but I do use Sony to purchase books. I have used calibre from day one a year and a half back to send books to my device.

Bottom line is if your comfortable with Sony (like many folks are) then keep using it to manage your books. Occasionally (temporary) bad things seem to happen when you mix and match the software.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:13 AM   #12
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
dwanthy is right, don't use multiple methods of sending your books to your reader. What ends up happening is that one will overwrite what the other did and you end up with neither of them working right.

Like others have mentioned I only use Calibre to send the books to my reader. Once they are on there though I will use the Sony software to manage the order of the books in my collections. I do that by opening the reader in the Sony software (with Calibre closed) and manipulating the books directly on the reader itself, not by pulling them and restoring them later.
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:25 PM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvick View Post
Once they are on there though I will use the Sony software to manage the order of the books in my collections. I do that by opening the reader in the Sony software (with Calibre closed) and manipulating the books directly on the reader itself, not by pulling them and restoring them later.
Calibre handles ordering series well but if the books you want ordered are not in a series then this seems like the perfect solution.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 AM   #14
JLYates
Connoisseur

Thought it was okay (on letting me get out of the reader libray). However, the next day when I clicked on it, it wouldn't let me do anything. It shows the list of options, has the word Reader, but after that, nothing, no other words (choses). It did show the words UBS connected on the reader, so I just disconnected the reader.
Definitely intend to uninstall the reader library, not worth the trouble.
Will it remove the free book I had downloaded? Don't really care; would like to read the book but no big loss.
Do I need to do anything besides removing it? I will follow Sony directions, but they do seem to be lacking in providing information.

Sony does seem to be having problems, I guess they haven't got all the bugs out of it yet. Still glad I bought it, even with all the problems.

Janette
Old 06-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

One important note: always make sure that you've properly dismounted the Reader before unplugging the USB cable. If you're in calibre, use the little icon that pops up next to the reader in the device bar. If you're in the Sony Library, it has something similar (though I don't know exactly what; I quit using it several versions ago). If neither, use whatever your OS provides -- in Windows XP, it's a "safely remove hardware" icon down in the system tray. This makes sure all buffered data is written, all files are closed properly, etc., before the device is physically disconnected. Not doing this won't cause a problem 99% of the time, but the 100th time it will do something nasty, like hose your Reader database and you'll have to transfer all your ebooks again.